Linux Mint 17 LVM??

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Incentive I.C

Linux Mint 17 LVM??

Post by Incentive I.C »

Ok i decied to try to install Linux mint 17 cinnamon on to my computer and inorder to keep my stuff from LM 16 i have to do a little partitioning mayham. Basically i want to install lm 17 then mount my lm16 and get the stuff i want from that. Then wipe lm16 make lm17 bigger and give the rest to windows7. Now i was on my way to do this when i cam across a few things that confused me first off what is this LVM that the installator is talking about? Is it a filesytem? If so can't i just pick that parition from Gparted? So i can get it without having to wipe everything(I saw it there) and get the same benefit? Is it better and faster then ext4? Also do i have to have a boot parition? I noticed i had one when i set up a different computer with the LVM setting but i never had one on my laptop? I would include picture but it will not let me upload....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Incentive I.C

Re: Linux Mint 17 LVM and is anybody using it??

Post by Incentive I.C »

I have read that it is suppose to be more for servers but i still haven't found a clear answer on how fast it is compared to ext4 and how reliable it is compared to ext4 either? Has anybody decided to check the box for this option? Sorry if I am being impatient i was just really excited to install lm 17 but trying to hold out on it instill i get an answer..

By the way what is the mount point suppose to be on LVM? I thought it was suppose to be / but it had a mount point of mint-vg?
Incentive I.C

Re: Linux Mint 17 LVM??

Post by Incentive I.C »

Anybody :(
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

The best explanation of how LVM works: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LVM
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

LVM just sits on top of an existing partition. It is a system for sub-partitioning a partition. It could be named LPM.
GParted doesn't appear to support it so it is a bit of a manual faff at the command line to modify LVM volumes and groups.

Return to “Installation & Boot”