Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
siNner
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] LM17 Mate doesn't start in graphic mode

Post by siNner »

Hello, sorry to bother you all, but I always try new versions of Linux within VM Workstation 6.5.5. I've never had problems before (LM13 - LM16), but now I got a strange one...

Booting on the live-disk is OK. Graphical environment is OK. Installing from the live-disk onto my harddrive went just great. But then, booting from my harddrive...

I see the LM-logo while starting up, but then I see the command prompt. I mention (flickering of the screen) that LM17 tries to boot into graphical environment (and I see the "waiting clock" for a little moment), but it doesn't succeed. After six tries, you get a TUI popup message that it wasn't succesfull.

I've tried a startup parameter, changeable in GRUB, but no success. Sorry, I forgot to write it down which parameter.

I can succesfully log in on the prompt and I update the system every day in hoping for the solution to come in.

This has to do with MATE, but I also got the same problem with Cinnamon, which I tried later. Because both options (MATE/Cinnamon) didn't get me satisfied, I've chosen to stick to MATE in the hope my problems will go away.

Still keep hoping of the golden update, but maybe here are a few people who are willing to help me on this one...
Last edited by siNner on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
siNner
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LM17 Mate doesn't start in graphic mode after installing

Post by siNner »

Sorry again. I was a bit quick. I see that this subject describes almost the same:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=169464

I'll follow that thread...
siNner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by siNner »

In that other thread, it was suggested to try the following:
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
But that gave the following order with me:
No drivers found for automatic installation
siNner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by siNner »

I mentioned today that there was an update on the MDM package. I've installed the update and the problem was gone.

Before the solution from today, I could login at the CLI and after that with command

Code: Select all

startx
the graphical environment could be started.

Thanks for solving this problem!
boblynn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by boblynn »

Hello siNner!

Thank you for your post. (Saved me time experimenting with how to configure boot to startx via Lightdm :-) )

I downloaded todays LM17 updates and it fixed the problem I was having with booting only to the CLI and having to login and manually run startx.

Note that these updates/bug fixes fixed the problem with the Lightdm display manager I was running instead of MDM. The bug was apparently NOT only in mdm.

I removed Lightdm and reinstalled MDM so I finally have LM17 booting successfully working on my hardware.

Thanks for your help. :-)
unprinted
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [Solved] LM17 Mate doesn't start in graphic mode

Post by unprinted »

I'm having similar problems, but while lightdm works (at least on the first time I've booted with it), mdm still wasn't even after the 1.6.9 update.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=170829

Return to “Installation & Boot”