Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
viceroyvic
Level 1
Level 1

"Replace Mint with Mint"

Post by viceroyvic »

While reinstalling mint onto a machine that had multiple partitions (windows, mint, etc.) I saw an option to "Replace Mint with Mint" which seemed great.
Unfortunately, it wiped ALL partitions; thus I lost the Windows partition and all the files I had in it.
If only the install would have only impacted the mint partition, that would have been a super-great feature!

Just thought I would put this out there, thanks for your work!

~
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Re: "Replace Mint with Mint"

Post by Mark Phelps »

Not that it's any consolation -- but this is not just a Mint problem. On the Ubuntu forums, lots of folks are reporting the same "bug" -- having their Windows partitions erased when they go to "upgrade" their Ubuntu install to the new version.
viceroyvic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by viceroyvic »

Okay, thanks for your understaning and the information. I keep telling myself, if only I had done it manually.... but at least I didn't lose any extremely-critical files (as far as I can remember). I thought about trying recovery, but decided it's better to just move on.
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

Mark Phelps wrote:Not that it's any consolation -- but this is not just a Mint problem. On the Ubuntu forums, lots of folks are reporting the same "bug" -- having their Windows partitions erased when they go to "upgrade" their Ubuntu install to the new version.
I don't know if "bug" is the right word for this. Sounds more like a "disaster" to me. Hopefully that gets fixed ... soon!
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

viceroyvic wrote:While reinstalling mint onto a machine that had multiple partitions (windows, mint, etc.) I saw an option to "Replace Mint with Mint" which seemed great.
Unfortunately, it wiped ALL partitions; thus I lost the Windows partition and all the files I had in it.
Did you have those now-gone partitions in your /etc/fstab?

It's a known and nasty bug. It's been fixed in Mint 17 Xfce edition BTW. As for MATE and Cinnamon editions, it will be probably addressed in the next Mint release... but it's not known exactly right now.
cryptotheslow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cryptotheslow »

gold_finger wrote:
Mark Phelps wrote:Not that it's any consolation -- but this is not just a Mint problem. On the Ubuntu forums, lots of folks are reporting the same "bug" -- having their Windows partitions erased when they go to "upgrade" their Ubuntu install to the new version.
I don't know if "bug" is the right word for this. Sounds more like a "disaster" to me. Hopefully that gets fixed ... soon!
"disaster" is putting it mildly.

Zaphod Beeblebrox: It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it. Hey, what is this, some kind of galactic hyper-hearse?

It's a sunfall type of screw up of monumental proportion.
hnee4711
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hnee4711 »

The option is very misleading. I have a properly configured Windows 8.1 partition. I cold booted to verify that it worked before I tried to replace Mint 17 with Mint 17. The installation option said that it will install into the Linux Mint 17 partition. Instead, it wiped my Hard Disk. Lucky for me it is a new notebook, so the damage is only limited to the lost of Windows 8.1. And my ego.

DO NOT USE ANYTHING AUTOMATIC, whatever Mint Installation tells you.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint 17 installer will remove all partitions that you have mounted in your older Linux Mint version (i.e., those you put in /etc/fstab). That's also what it says in the installer, but with current wording it's perhaps easy to misinterpret what it will do. The wording is: "This will delete all of your Linux Mint <version> programs, documents, photos, music, and any other files." The clue is the last part, it will remove any other files from your old Linux Mint installation--if you have mounted your Windows partitions in your old Linux Mint installation then those will be removed.

The developers have already agreed the current wording isn't very clear to experienced users as to what exactly it will do. This has their attention. It's very unfortunate for those that were affected by it :(
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

xenopeek wrote:Linux Mint 17 installer will remove all partitions that you have mounted in your older Linux Mint version (i.e., those you put in /etc/fstab). That's also what it says in the installer, but with current wording it's perhaps easy to misinterpret what it will do. The wording is: "This will delete all of your Linux Mint <version> programs, documents, photos, music, and any other files." The clue is the last part, it will remove any other files from your old Linux Mint installation--if you have mounted your Windows partitions in your old Linux Mint installation then those will be removed.

The developers have already agreed the current wording isn't very clear to experienced users as to what exactly it will do. This has their attention. It's very unfortunate for those that were affected by it :(
Maybe people should be told to remove the fstab file then from the old system before installation?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

In both the announcement and the release notes it is detailed that (release notes cover it in more detail):
In the installer, “Replace OS with Linux Mint” means erase the entire drive
The team is working on some other issues found after the RC period, and will respin the ISOs to fix those issues and also this issue. For users that already installed Linux Mint they will get fixes for the other issues through Update Manager as level 1 updates.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

New version of the Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon and MATE ISOs has been released to fix, amongst others, this problem: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2662
GuyD
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GuyD »

xenopeek wrote:New version of the Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon and MATE ISOs has been released to fix, amongst others, this problem: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2662
But at the release notes it's still listed as known issue. What ist correct now?
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

GuyD wrote:
xenopeek wrote:New version of the Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon and MATE ISOs has been released to fix, amongst others, this problem: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2662
But at the release notes it's still listed as known issue. What ist correct now?
In a reply by Clem in the comments section of the announcement..
Edit by Clem: It’s a very nasty bug indeed and one that made it necessary for us to organize these respins. It was actually introduced in Ubuntu 13.10, and so it affected both Linux Mint 16 and 17. You can get more information on it at https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1325786 and for Ubuntu 14.04 at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1265192. Note that we’re leaving the warning in the release notes for a little while, in case magazines or websites point or ship the previous ISOs. Also note that this issue still affects Ubuntu 14.04 and its derivatives, so be careful not to choose “Replace $OS..” in these other OSes as it will also result in data loss.
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett
GuyD
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GuyD »

Oh I see. So it's safe to download from here, right?
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

With regards to the misleading label in the installer, yes it's safe to download form the Mint downloads page.. In fact, given that you are aware of the issue with the uncorrected installer, you would now be unlikely to get get caught out by it anyway :)
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett
GuyD
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GuyD »

I just don't want to reinstall the whole back-up, which takes a lot of time.

Btw. I like your avatar! Also a discworld fan?
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

I don't blame you for your caution, no-one want to create unnecessary work for themselves.. Assuming you are dual, or more, booting (as thats what the topic is referring to), you should always choose the 'something else' option and not rely on an automated process to protect your other OS, in my opinion.

Indeed, I am a Discworld fan.. Life seems so much simpler there :lol:
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

GNU Terry Pratchett
GuyD
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GuyD »

Discworld is great! Never seen a fantasy world which is in fact some kind of a parody of our world. HEX is a very good example for this. Maybe Ponder Stibbons should install Linux Mint to avoid the unfaithful "out of cheese" error! :wink:
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

Dangerously off topic..
GuyD wrote:Discworld is great! Never seen a fantasy world which is in fact some kind of a parody of our world. HEX is a very good example for this. Maybe Ponder Stibbons should install Linux Mint to avoid the unfaithful "out of cheese" error! :wink:
But, I will reply, just once :oops:

I believe Ponder did try installing Mint as part of the unpublished Upgrade short story, unfortunately, the Ant kernel stole it all to use for nesting and the resulting 'out of freshness' error was deemed to be fatal :mrgreen:
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

GNU Terry Pratchett
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

GuyD wrote:Oh I see. So it's safe to download from here, right?
Understand, that they did not "fix" the "bug" -- it still does exactly what it did before -- if you choose the "Replace" option, it erases the entire contents of your drive!

All they did was change the message wording so it's clearer now that the intent of the "Replace" option is to erase the entire drive.

For folks that are in too big a hurry to read warning messages, the result today will be exactly the same it was when Mint 17 first came out.

Return to “Installation & Boot”