Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
GuyD
Level 1
Level 1

Re: "Replace Mint with Mint"

Post by GuyD »

Hmm, so it's still unfixed? Honestly, this option makes no sense. People who wants to upgrade from an older Linux Mint have to install Version 17 seperately and than rid off the existing version. Lot of work and especially for no-pros not so easy. But it's also a mess for the ones who changes completely from another OS. It's nice in this case that the old OS is deleted. But there's a lot of data at a hard disc you want to keep. Photos, office documents or pdf files for example. Sorry, but imho it's an useless function. I hope the people at Cannonical and/or Linux Mint will fix it asap!
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

GuyD wrote:Hmm, so it's still unfixed?
Not exactly.. The installer works as intended, the issue was a misleading label that lead people to believe it worked in a way it was not intended to.

GuyD wrote:People who wants to upgrade from an older Linux Mint have to install Version 17 seperately and than rid off the existing version.
Again not exactly.. If you installed with a separate /home partition then you can reuse your /home partition without formatting it, hence keeping your files there intact. If this is an option for you then maybe open a new thread so people can give you direct assistance for your specific set up.

GuyD wrote:But there's a lot of data at a hard disc you want to keep. Photos, office documents or pdf files for example.
Every installation or change to the partitioning structure of your hard disk carries a risk of data loss, so the first step in any installation should always be to backup important personal files.. In fact there is a risk of data loss every time your hard disk spins up, one mechanical failure and it's entire contents may be lost, so regular back ups should be considered essential as hardware never fails at a convenient time.. and are usually a lot more costly than an 'out of cheese error'.

And finally.. If you initially installed Mint using one of the two possible automatic option in the installer, alongside an existing OS or as an automatic whole disk installation, then it was installed on a single partition and the only way to replace it with a fresh installation is to overwrite that partition and all it's contents. If you are dual booting at present and need advice about how to replace your Mint installation safely, it's not as complicated as you probably fear, then plenty of people here will be happy to help, in a separate topic where the relevant questions can be asked and specific information provided. I recently replaced one of my OSs in my dual boot for the first time and it only added a few minutes to the installation time and few more mouse clicks.. If I can do it anyone can :)
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett
rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rfd »

THE ONLY annoying thing about mint is that it won't "upgrade" the existing version, and requires a complete rebuild from the ground up.

that sux. :evil:

but i do LOVE mint! :mrgreen:

Return to “Installation & Boot”