Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
johnb0647
Level 1
Level 1

Prevent default UID hassle upgrading fm Ubuntu to LM17

Post by johnb0647 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:38 am

Long, long ago.... around LM10 I think...... I did a clean upgrade from Ubuntu to LM then discovered that LM uses UID:1000 for the default user instead of UID:1001 which Ubuntu uses. Since I keep /home separately and just use it without change it took forever to chase down and eliminate all the ownership problems created in the morass of files and wierd dependencies I've build up over the years.

I had to go back to Ubuntu when an early version of CInnamon broke my display driver. Then I went to Ubuntu/Cinnamon and removed Unity when an update of Unity broke another driver. Now I want to go home from Ubuntu 13.04 to LM17 (clean) without the same hassle. Anyone got an easy solution.

I'm thinking maybe I could let the install wizard make "JoeBlow" the default user (UID:1000) then I'll log in just once as Joe and create the user johnb (me) hopefully with UID:1001 then give Joe the boot. Any reasons why not?

I searched and found lot of suggestions how to clean up AFTER the fact but I'd like to just avoid it completely.

johnb0647
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Prevent default UID hassle upgrading fm Ubuntu to LM17

Post by johnb0647 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:21 am

oops... senior moment. I was 67 last week and it's beginning to show.

Turn those UID"s around. I'm currently UID:1000 and I don't want LM17 to make me UID:1001.

Return to “Installation & Boot”