Installation of Linux Mint 17 from Live USB crashes

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
austerus

Installation of Linux Mint 17 from Live USB crashes

Post by austerus »

Hello,

I have tried to install both Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon and XFCE versions (both 64 bit) on my Dell Inspiron Laptop (i7, 8Gb DDR3, no dedicated graphics, just Intel HD4000) and the installer crashes soon after the step of choosing timezone (usually at choosing username but sometimes faster).

Goal:
- dual boot Linux Mint with existing Windows 8.1 64-bit
- boot managed by EasyBCD 2.2 (eg: Linux booloader on Linux partition, EasyBCD detects it an adds it to Windows boot manager as an option)

Installation preparation:
- 8Gb Corsair USB2.0 stick
- ISO dowloaded from linuxmint.com, md5 checksum triple-checked
- Live USB created with Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.5.3
- 512Mb added space for saving data

Installation:
- it boots normally into the Live interface
- installation starts
- partitioning goes ok: (1)about 400Mb partition reserved by Windows, (2) 450Gb for Windows, (3) 250Gb for Linux ext4, (4) 32Gb Linux Swap
- I select timezone
- I select keyboard layout (sometimes it crashes here)
- I select username, password (most of the time it crashes here).

I get a pop-up saying that the installer crashed and once it closes I will be given the opportunity to send a bug report using the internal bug report tool (however, once I dismiss the message, nothing else happens).

The same scenario happens everytime with both the XFCE and Cinnamon versions (doesn't seem to make a difference).

Strangely enough, I had the exact same setup about one year ago using Mint 16 Cinnamon and it worked quite ok for a while (it was same everything, even the same usb stick used).

Can anyone help? I would really like to get Mint 17 up and running.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ktheking

Re: Installation of Linux Mint 17 from Live USB crashes

Post by ktheking »

I'd give it a try with XFCE 13 version first.
Don't forget, the mint 17 xfce is an RC version.
austerus

Post by austerus »

ktheking wrote:I'd give it a try with XFCE 13 version first.
Don't forget, the mint 17 xfce is an RC version.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that the current one is an RC. However, since the issue happened with mint 17 cinnamon as well, I rather doubt it's the issue.

In the meantime, I managed to make it work.

Hopefully it might help someone else:
- I used LinuxLive USB Creator instead of Universal USB Installer to create the Live USB stick.
In LinuxLive I was warned that it doesn't recognize Mint 17 and instead told me that it will use a compatibility mode with Mint 16. I have no idea what that means for the Live USB creation but this time the installation went through smoothly.
EasyBCD recognized the Mint partition and now it all works.
rck2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rck2 »

Dear Community and Clem: 6/25/2014

Yesterday, was a hell of a day, I built a new Linux Mint box for my personal use. I’m not a newbie by far but every once in a while, I feel like one.

The Box included as follows:
BCM bc77q motherboard (industrial type)
Ivey bridge processor LGA 1155
Intel® Core™ i5-3470S Processor (quad)
8gb DDR3 1333
Intel SSD 80
Toshiba MK1059GSM 1TB HD
Cooler Master Seidon 120M
Video: onboard graphics(at this time)

You would think that this is ideal for the perfect New Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon desktop.
For 4 ½ hours I messed around trying to Mint 17 Quiana (64 bit)to install, but the installer kept crashing during a Live install.
An then about 11:00 pm EST, I decided may a different installer would work so I installed Linux Mint Debian Edition(64 bit) within 20 minutes it was installed and running.

Yes, BC77Q(BCM) is running a UEFI Bios from AMI( Georgia Tech Rednecks), but because it was a new build, security is automatically disabled?
Has anyone ever experienced this issue? Is this just an aberration? Is there a work around?

Judging from the forum this might have some pertinence!
RCK2
piquat

Post by piquat »

Edit: I fixed mine. At DVD boot menu I hit a key and then e to edit, IIRC. Mine just needed nomodeset added (google nomodeset if you're confused). I don't remember the exact keystrokes but at some point I was booted to DVD in a very low res mode. Driver manager added a video driver and the install went fine from there on out.

Same boat here:

Trying to dual boot an Inspiron 531, Mint17_Cinn/Vista.

I can get it to boot to a live DVD desktop. When I start the installer it seems like it's doing something for a few minutes and then the mouse locks up and the only way out is to hard boot the machine.

This is an older Dell, 2GB RAM and some dual core intel chip. No fancy video card or anything really. It's just used for internet and e-mail. I'd have thought this would go easy with such a generic boring machine... hmmm.
Last edited by piquat on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alco

Post by alco »

Sorry but this post is just a variation on a 'me too':

Installing 64-bit LM 17 xfce on VMware Player 6.0.2 build-1744117 on Windows 7 x64.

Tried half a dozen times with fresh VM setup each time.

Furthest it gets before hanging seems to be at the point of pressing Continue for the time zone selection, but often it doesn't even get that far.

So as this seems similar to your issue - perhaps this extra case/info may help someone to help us.

I've previously had no issues installing 64-bit LM 17 Cinnamon (and many others previously) on this same system.

I wanted to try xfce as I wasn't having much luck slimming down the cinnamon setup to the usage levels I wanted for this VM.

By the way why does the xfce setup insist on 8.6 GB to proceed (blog release message even states 10GB) when others seem happy with 8GB?
XFCE seems supposed to use less resources but I'm more concerned with memory usage than disk space in this case which was why I proceeded.

I'm downloading the LM17 xfce 32-bit at present to see if it installs better on VMware. Thanks.

{Later: yes the 32-bit worked, first time. But would still like the 64-bit to work too :( }

Return to “Installation & Boot”