Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Jack555
Level 1
Level 1

Installing from LiveUSB

Post by Jack555 »

I have had a hard time finding clear instructions on the simplest of issues so far. Here's my list of obstacles in installing Linux:
-Cannot download any files to the USB - says "disk is full". There are 9GB free, but locked away in the ISODevice Folder, which I do not have permission to save anything to. I need permission to do this. Cannot seem to change permissions to save files here, so far.
-The "Install Linux Mint" file on the Home directory is not working

I have my computer all set up to go, partition-wise. 2 swap spaces set up. Tired of having to use the USB and not able to install.

Thank you
The intoxication of the ego is the conceit of man, and the soberness of the ego is Divine Vanity -- Inayat Khan

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Installing from LiveUSB

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Jack555.

You may like to read and follow the instructions on how to download and install Linux Mint 17 in the Official User Guide.
Start with the chapter "Installation of Linux Mint" on page 7.
Do not be confused, because the User Guide talks about Cinnamon. The steps of installing Linux Mint 17 are extremely similar, not matter which desktop environment you choose: Cinnamon, Mate, xfce, KDE.

Good luck,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Jack555
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jack555 »

I was hoping there was a way to fix my current issue - specifically being able to install Mint(Cinnamon) from my LiveUSB. Not sure why the "Install" file is not working. I barely have any room to work with - computer is inaccessible at the moment and like I said the USB says I have no space to work with even though there is 9gb free, but locked behind a permission that won't budge.

Thanks
The intoxication of the ego is the conceit of man, and the soberness of the ego is Divine Vanity -- Inayat Khan

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

1] ''Cannot download any files to the USB''
If that is the device the Live-Session booted from, read-only is normal. It is acting as a DVD substitute while the session is running.

2] ''Cannot seem to change permissions to save files here, so far.''
You won't if it's already mounted as an ISO9660 file system starting at sector 0; the whole device is ''busy''. Even if bits of it look like partitions, they have to be read-only mounts as far as Linux is concerned.

3] ''all set up to go, partition-wise. 2 swap spaces set up''
Two? Swap? Live-Session uses any swap-space it can find, you can't install there too. One swap the size of your RAM is usual. Linux expects an EXT file system live in, ext4 is today's choice.

4] ''The "Install Linux Mint" file on the Home directory is not working''
It should work. You mean clicking it does nothing? Or the install fails?

5] ''Tired of having to use the USB and not able to install''
Yah. Well the first two can't be done, and number 3 is a good reason for number 4, causing 5.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Jack555
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jack555 »

Mute Ant wrote:1] ''Cannot download any files to the USB''
If that is the device the Live-Session booted from, read-only is normal. It is acting as a DVD substitute while the session is running.

2] ''Cannot seem to change permissions to save files here, so far.''
You won't if it's already mounted as an ISO9660 file system starting at sector 0; the whole device is ''busy''. Even if bits of it look like partitions, they have to be read-only mounts as far as Linux is concerned.

3] ''all set up to go, partition-wise. 2 swap spaces set up''
Two? Swap? Live-Session uses any swap-space it can find, you can't install there too. One swap the size of your RAM is usual. Linux expects an EXT file system live in, ext4 is today's choice.

4] ''The "Install Linux Mint" file on the Home directory is not working''
It should work. You mean clicking it does nothing? Or the install fails?

5] ''Tired of having to use the USB and not able to install''
Yah. Well the first two can't be done, and number 3 is a good reason for number 4, causing 5.

Regarding 1 & 2: So that 9gb is totally unaccessible and unusable? No way to change that?

3) Sorry I was unclear. I set up my laptop HD for the Linux installation, 100gb free, and swap space(prob more than necessary, I know).

4) Yes, it does absolutely nothing when I try to run it. Very frustrating.

I am stuck because this USB is my only working OS at the moment. Don't have a way to re-write the LiveUSB installation via Yumi or whatever because, like I said, it's the only OS available at the moment. My laptop HD is empty.

I am hoping there is a solution without me having to go buy another USB key and try all over again.

Thanks

mbohets
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mbohets »

When you boot from the live usb, just before you get to the part where it shows try or install mint,
you can push an F key, for example F1.
You will then see a menu. One of the menu items is for checking of the live image is ok.
Did you check that ? perhaps something went wrong while downloading.

Another option is to ask someone to download a fresh copy of the mint live cd, and burn it to a dvd, and install from the dvd.
Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religion

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

''So that 9GB is totally unaccessible and unusable?'' Yes, while you are using it as the Live-Session mount.
''No way to change that?'' Of course there is :roll: if you have 2GB of RAM? When the live-boot shows you a 10 second count-down, press down-arrow to highlight the first menu option, and TAB to edit the boot options. Usually it shows...
  • /casper/vmlinuz initrd=/casper/initrd.lz blah blah blah quiet splash --
Backspace over the 'quiet splash --' and replace them with 'toram' so it looks like this...
  • /casper/vmlinuz initrd=/casper/initrd.lz blah blah blah toram
Then <enter> and, just for this boot, your Mint-in-USB gets copied as Mint-in-RAM and runs from there, freeing up the USB for higher purposes.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Jack555
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jack555 »

Mute Ant wrote:''So that 9GB is totally unaccessible and unusable?'' Yes, while you are using it as the Live-Session mount.
''No way to change that?'' Of course there is :roll: if you have 2GB of RAM? When the live-boot shows you a 10 second count-down, press down-arrow to highlight the first menu option, and TAB to edit the boot options. Usually it shows...
  • /casper/vmlinuz initrd=/casper/initrd.lz blah blah blah quiet splash --
Backspace over the 'quiet splash --' and replace them with 'toram' so it looks like this...
  • /casper/vmlinuz initrd=/casper/initrd.lz blah blah blah toram
Then <enter> and, just for this boot, your Mint-in-USB gets copied as Mint-in-RAM and runs from there, freeing up the USB for higher purposes.
I tried this but instead of "/casper...quiet splash" it simply showed the ISO file being used.
I pressed tab on both "Linux Distributions" option, and, also while highlighting the actual Cinnamon file. Neither showed the "quiet splash"

Thanks

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

Try all over again...you don't have a Mint distribution, just an electronic sulking machine.

Jack555
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jack555 »

Mute Ant wrote:Try all over again...you don't have a Mint distribution, just an electronic sulking machine.
LOL. So my LiveUSB Mint is screwed up? I tried making another Mint LiveUSB using Yumi and the ISO file from this USB, but that didn't work. It won't load. Tried rebuilding SysLinux with yumi but that didn't do anything.

Return to “Installation & Boot”