Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Ubuntu 13.04 over W8 [SOLVED]

Post by riki » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:11 am

I successfully installed Ubuntu 13.04 over a Windows 8 laptop (It was not possible a year ago) and I now want to install LM over Ubuntu but it doesn't recognise the CD/DVD drive. I have checked the boot order. Help please.
Last edited by riki on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ofb
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 over W8

Post by ofb » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:54 am

Okay, let's check that things are good.

Still have the ISO that you burned to DVD? Check the md5sum to confirm ti was downloaded completely, the check the disk itself.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/linux ... md5sum.txt

If you've got another computer, try the DVD in that. If you've got another bootable DVD, like U13.04 from last year, try it in your drive.

Also this might sound silly, but make sure the DVD is clean. Also have you used that brand of blank before? Old drives get picky before they fail completely.

For that matter, when the computer is running, does your drive show the LM DVD when inserted?

That's a start. And for what it's worth, if you've got a USB stick it'll likely be easier to use that.

Your computer may not show a USB option in the BIOS, but a lot of them if you tab F8 at the first boot screen, you'll get a selection of boot options that will include a USB if it's plugged in. Some brands like HP used the Esc key tapped at the boot screen for the same.

--
EDIT - I said "Del" key for HP at first. Sorry, obviously that's to enter BIOS. Memory miss-fire.

riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:36 pm

Many thanks ofb. The thing is that even the DVD that I used to install 13.04 over W8 will no longer boot. I have also tried other disks and none are recognized since yesterday's install with 13.04 over W8. I have even downloaded and burnt the latest distros from both LM and Ubu and none work on the laptop and yet they do work on my PC. The laptop is a COMPAQ CQ58.

ofb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ofb » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:49 pm

Sounds like the DVD drive has expired in your laptop. It is highly unlikely that installing Ubuntu had anything to do with it.

Does it spin, does the light come on? If so, maybe see if you can blow dust out of it. Awkward and unlikely, but that's about all that left to do.

Also if it does spin/light, try a CD for curiosity.

riki
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 over W8 [SOLVED]

Post by riki » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:31 pm

Thanks again for your input ofb. I found what it was, the DVD in question was not burnt correctly (selectedfiles instead of contents, oversight). I appreciate your assistance.

Return to “Installation & Boot”