Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Valens
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Replacing Windows 8.1 with Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon

Post by Valens »

what about partitioning? should I make a /boot partition?

Later Edit: FINALLY, my acer has booted Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon.

Steps I followed:
Restarted my PC
Pressed F2 when acer logo appeared and the Bios Menu appeared
The booting was set to UEFI
In the Security menu I made a Supervisor Password which gave me the possibility to disable Secure Boot.
While still in Bios Menu I inserted the USB stick with Linux Mint and pressed F10 to save bios changes and restart
Because I had Windows 7 installed in legacy mode, the USB stick booted without other commands for booting priority.

Now, any tips on Mint 17 Cinnamon partitioning in UEFI mode? Running GParted shows my hard drive as free, unallocated space, is it because Windows was installed in Legacy mode?

altae
Level 2
Level 2

Post by altae »

If you don't need the partitions you might already have already created under Windows 7 just delete them and create new ones. You can create as much primary partitions as you want since with GPT theres is no limit for primary partitions. If you still have got data you need on those drives and the partitions are not showing when running your new UEFI installation of LM 17 I'd recommend booting a live dvd in legacy mode and backup your data. But it is strange because when I converted my pc from legacy mode to UEFI and it's GPT partitions for Windows 8, initially I did not convert all drives and the not converted ones (all besides the system drive) were available under my UEFI Windows 8 nonetheless. So to me it appears as if there is something wrong with the existing partitions. The last shot I know of (if booting a live dvd in legacy mode does not work) would be to take the corresponding hdds and connect them to another pc/ laptop and try to extract the data this way.

Valens
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Valens »

runing gparted gives me this warning:
http://s28.postimg.org/3ox726n8t/SAM_0521.jpg
I m not sure, but I belive it tells me something about the old WIndows 8 i had preinstalled on the laptop, and something about the new Windows 7 I installed in legacy mode.
The Windows 7 it s installed without making separate partitions and I don t need to recover anything. How should I treat this gparted warning and what partitions should I create for my 320gb hard drive?

altae
Level 2
Level 2

Post by altae »

I would click on yes and see what happens. I presume all the necessary partitions (efi partition, system partition, swap partition) have been created during the installation process. Can you tell me what partitions are actually on your disk? Maybe you could post a print screen of gparted showing the partitions on your system disk. Is the system partition shown as GPT partition? When it comes to the question what partitions to create you could simply extend the system partition or, if you want, create a second ext4 partition for all your data. But if you do so you will have to create an entry for the additional partition in the fstab file (/etc/fstab) in order to make the system mount the extra partition on login. It is not mandatory but recommended since if you don't create an entry for your data partition you will always have to mount it manually. So if I where you I would simply extend the system partition because this way you don't have to fiddle around with mounting and the fstab config file.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Valens wrote:runing gparted gives me this warning:
http://s28.postimg.org/3ox726n8t/SAM_0521.jpg
I m not sure, but I belive it tells me something about the old WIndows 8 i had preinstalled on the laptop, and something about the new Windows 7 I installed in legacy mode.
The Windows 7 it s installed without making separate partitions and I don t need to recover anything. How should I treat this gparted warning and what partitions should I create for my 320gb hard drive?
You should run gparted on the live Mint DVD, and delete the partition table (not the partitions, the partition TABLE), then create your new GPT partition table, and the partitions you want for your new installation.
Linux on UEFI: A Quick Installation Guide - http://www.rodsbooks.com/linux-uefi/
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Valens
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Valens »

whatever I chose when the gparted error appeared, it would show the space on the hard drive as unallocated so I just created a new partition table as I didn t had one to delete. I finally have Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon installed and running good, no backlight problems or other bugs. Thanks everyone!

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

so it was secureboot all the time? even disabled in the bios it still asked you for a password?
Just to make sure I have someone else with the same kind of problem.
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

Valens
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Valens »

in uefi mode,at least for acers, you cannot disable SecureBoot until you set a password in the Security menu of the bios.

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

well good to know, mine is a Dell and I just go in the bios and disable secureboot. I can then install either UEFI or legacy no problems seen.
Have to remember this for future troubleshooting.

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

Valens
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED Replacing Windows 8.1 with Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon

Post by Valens »

this topic, as far as i m concerned, can be marked as SOLVED.

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

you can do it, edit your first post and add [Solved] to the title.
Thanks

Valens
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Valens »

Thank You all!

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Re: *SOLVED* Replacing Windows 8.1 with Linux Mint 17 Cinnam

Post by PatH57 »

thank you. I was about to go outside and buy a new brain , well over 50 you kind of need one anyway :lol: too much troubleshooting this one

Return to “Installation & Boot”