[SOLVED] How do I upgrade to Mint 17 without losing … data?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Njan

[SOLVED] How do I upgrade to Mint 17 without losing … data?

Post by Njan »

Hello all! This is my first post here. I am running Mint 16 -Petra- on a dual-boot machine (with Windows XP, which I never installed, because, among other things, I can't get our printer and some applications to work on Linux, as the other half of the setup) and, so, I'd like to ask… how do I get to install Mint 17 without losing all that I have installed and saved here? I've had this going on for months now and it's a wonderful arrangement, I checked the forum after a long time to see if there were any news and found the 'Thou shalt upgrade immediately upon reading this' official notice.

Any pointers would be enormously welcome.

Edit: the solution proposed worked perfectly. (18-08-2014)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How do I upgrade to Mint 17 without losing previous data

Post by xenopeek »

This may work for you: http://www.tecmint.com/upgrade-linux-mi ... x-mint-17/

Don't do that without backing up your important personal files first; you never know. About 1 in 5 people have trouble with in-place upgrades like that. It really depends how much you've tweak your system with badly supported 3rd party repositories and downloaded .debs and such. No predicting. It may very well all go without problems, but there is a chance you will have to do some manual actions to get things working right again.
Njan

Post by Njan »

Thanks! :D It -should- work. I hope.

Just to clarify, would that affect my existing Windows partition in any way? I can use that one as a backup, or borrow an external hard drive from someone else.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

These steps just replace your Linux Mint 16 repository configuration with Linux Mint 17 ones, and then you do a big upgrade of installed packages to now seen new versions. Doesn't affect Windows.
Njan

Post by Njan »

I thought so, but it's always best to double-check.

Into the breach it is, then.
Njan

Post by Njan »

Well, so far everything's working. It took longer than I thought because I dozed off eventually and the updating process stopped at one of the Y/N prompts.
Thanks very much, mr. xenopeek!

Now I have to deal with a nightmare left over from Mint 16… shutdown problems. Shutting down with Windows XP still works perfectly, with Mint, more often than not, I have to do shenanigans.

Return to “Installation & Boot”