Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
coolmanoh
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 17 installation

Post by coolmanoh » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:50 pm

I would like to hear from anyone that had trouble installing Linux Mint 17. I would like to know what the problem was and how you fixed it.

Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 17 installation

Post by Derek_S » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:05 am

You're not thinking about starting a class action lawsuit, are you? Just kidding! :mrgreen:

From what I have seen on this forum, there are quite a few problems when you attempt to install Linux Mint on a machine that has Windows 8/8.1already installed and are trying to create a dual boot system. This reasons are many, usually a lack of experience or understanding about how UEFI BOIS and UEFI boot work, or the BIOS settings necessary, or even the hardware itself. Some brands are easy, some are nightmares.

Personally, I have a HP Envy DV7 laptop that I purchased about 18 months ago, and despite every effort on my part, I cannot get any Ubuntu based Linux distro to work reliably with Windows 8.1, so I gave up. I'm currently using openSUSE 13.1 along with Windows 8.1 on that machine. Last December I purchased a reconditioned Lenovo T400 laptop in order to install Linux Mint, and that combination has proven to be completely reliable. It is my everyday laptop.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh

alwayslearning102
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alwayslearning102 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Hello,
When I try to install Linux Mint 17 on a computer, there are graphics problems like hangs and freezes and I never got to install Linux Mint on it. It runs windows properly, but any kind of Linux like Ubuntu or Fedora hangs and freezes. The same installation flash disk works on my other desktop and 2 laptops. Even if I use the 32bit version, it still has the same errors. Probably there is a defect that windows can tolerate but Linux cant. Please help me if you can because I dont like windows and I am a very avid fan of Linux development. Thank you.
Here is the info about my computer:
Mobo: BIOStar N68S3
Proc: AMD athlon x2 250
Hard drive: Seagate 1TB
RAM: IPQ 2GB

alwayslearning102
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alwayslearning102 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:33 am

Hello guys,
I finally found how to make any debian based linux working on my pc. Too bad the Linux Mint disk image still doesn't have the most updated kernel. I tried running Xubuntu with Linux kernel 3.13.0-32-generic. The desktop now works well. The current Linux Mint diskimage has something earlier than this.

Hope my success helped you.

alwayslearning102
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alwayslearning102 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:55 am

Just to edit my recent post, not just debian based Linux distros will work but any other Linux distro with a kernel as updated as the current Xubuntu live disk kernel. I even got Fedora to work on my setup. I will just wait for Linux Mint 17.1 with updated kernel to be released. :D

coolmanoh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coolmanoh » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:19 pm

Regarding the issue of installing Linux Mint 17, I received an email from OSDisc.com (the site I bought the disc from) stating: What you described means that your computer has a graphics card or graphics chipset that is no longer supported in Linux Mint 17 v2 Cinnamon. Linux Mint 17 v2 Cinnamon only supports the latest graphics cards that come with hardware video acceleration, those manufactured by NVIDA, Intel and ATI in last four to five years. . I now have Linux Mint 17 v2 MATE to replace Linux Mint 17 v2 Cinnamon, which I have yet to install, so I can't really say yet whether my problem is solved.

Return to “Installation & Boot”