Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
GokyMint
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> Suddenly can't boot to Mint 17 and can't install

Post by GokyMint »

I have been running Mint 17 for few days without any problem.Last night I've shutdown the computer and today I can't boot it (It stops on loading Mint screen and pc speaker goes wild) or repair it or anything it keeps locking up.
I didn't install anything or upgrade anything.Even with nomodeset (which I need to install Mint because I'm on Nvidia) I can't do anything It locks up after a while (10-15 seconds).Tried to Install it again and it locks up too.
Can someone please help?
Last edited by GokyMint on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofb
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Suddenly can't boot to Mint 17 and can't install Mint 17

Post by ofb »

Sounds like hardware trouble, not software.

If you're tool-oriented, first thing is check all the connections and make sure your RAM is seated, but really with that sort of symptom I'd look for the bulged and leaking capacitors.

(If you're not tool-oriented, then messing around inside your computer is very likely NOT the best place to start, so don't.)

Probably on the motherboard, which is game-over. Might be the videocard. Also make sure all the fans can spin (are not frozen solid or sticky) and then do spin when you power-on.

Caps gone bad in the power supply can't be seen. Power supply problems are usually isolated by swapping in another power supply.

Basically this is likely going to boil down to a case of swapping parts in and out to locate the failed unit. If you're not already a tool-using nerd with spare computers in the closet, then you're going to have to have a shop look at it.
GokyMint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GokyMint »

Found the problem.
It seems my bios flipped and my OC settings gone wacky. (My computer is on OC for about 4 years so I forgot about it).
After configuring voltages again everything is fine now.

Anyway thanks for help!
ofb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ofb »

Excellent.

Mark your thread <SOLVED> by clicking the Edit button on your first post, then editing the Subject line.

Return to “Installation & Boot”