Dual boot KDE and Cinnamon 17.xxx or....

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Oldbwl
Level 2
Level 2

Dual boot KDE and Cinnamon 17.xxx or....

Post by Oldbwl »

I like Cinnamon 17 a whole lot. However, there are a some KDE programs which I also wish to use. I have tried the KDE spin of Mint, and the DE is not one I would want to use full time. So, I was wondering,
a) I know I can install KDE alongside Cinnamon.. I have my /home folder in a separate partition. Can both spins use the same partition for /home? e.g. I have all my images there, and may want to edit them under KDE, but view them later within Cinnamon.

b) If I merely installed the KDE based programs in to Cinnamon instead, could this introduce any detrimental issues to the Cinnamon DE by the installation of so many KDE dependencies?

As an example, Digicam is is one program I would like to use (esp the latest version).

nerdtron
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Dual boot KDE and Cinnamon 17.xxx or....

Post by nerdtron »

b) If I merely installed the KDE based programs in to Cinnamon instead, could this introduce any detrimental issues to the Cinnamon DE by the installation of so many KDE dependencies?
Try this option first. I didn't experience any major problems back then when I tried installing KDE programs on GNOME. The drawback I saw was that some KDE modules were running on the background and that the themes and icons of the KDE programs looked ugly on GNOME. (although this may change now)
"I learned a lot from repeatedly breaking my system and then reinstalling. Oh, and a lot of GOOGLE searches too!"

Return to “Installation & Boot”