Grub Install Error

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
toomanyquestions

Grub Install Error

Post by toomanyquestions »

System: HP quad core desktop, UEFI, dual HD (1 tera for win8 [sda] & 200+gig for linux [sdb]).

Initially, I successfully installed LM 17.1, the bootloader was genericly installed on the first HD. After I booted win8 and allowed it to update, my bootloader disappeared. Since then, I've earned a grub error every time I've tried to install Mint - " 'grub-install /dev/.....' failed." My question is, why? Does Grub have to be installed somewhere in particular? Does it need to be installed on a partition with a certain format or numbering scheme? Will Grub refuse to install if Windows has a bootloader on a separate HD? What in the world is going on?

All thoughts/suggestions are welcome.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Grub Install Error

Post by Kalyk »

Usually it is advised to disable (U)EFI and secure boot and that's what I always do.
And you might install grub in /dev/sdb and change your bootorder.
Last time I installed Mint 17.1 on a GPT-harddisk it said it had to make a small partition to put grub in for the bios to use. So it might be that the bootsector isn't kept apart for this anymore in the last UEFI or Windows8 version, I don't know.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

Eventually I was able to get LM 17.1 Cinnamon installed - only to lose it to a graphics/Xorg glitch brought about by Ctl+Alt+Backspace (if I had a do-over I'd delete the shortcut). After toying with Netrunner for a couple days, I installed LM 17 Xfce. I used a traditional BIOS drive format (linux and Win 8 inhabit separate drives).

I believe the grub error was due to poor partitioning on my part. A traditional BIOS scheme is fairly familiar, and therefore easy to handle. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an easy-to-follow, unambiguous, explanation of how GPT partitioning should look (e.g. location, type, and size of the partitions, where grub goes, pertinent flags, etc. For GPT newbies such as myself, a clear and concise step-by-step set of directions would be useful. Heck, I'd write the directions myself if I knew the process well enough to successfully install on a GPT drive....
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

On the UEFI computers, grub need to be installed to small EFI partition (eg. /dev/sda2 fat32 filesystem).
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126

Return to “Installation & Boot”