Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Frozen001
Level 1
Level 1

Install along side Windows 7 with a bunch of questions

Post by Frozen001 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Hello all. I am going to install Mint 17 on a new PC that will have windows 7 installed on it. I do not want to lose the windows 7 install. My plan was this:

1) resize the 500GB HD to give Mint 150GB of free space using Windows 7.
2) Install via DVD and get it to dual boot with W7 being the default boot.

Now here it the problem. I tried this already, but I had Ubuntu installed already. It dual booted with W7 fine, but I could not get the sound to work with it, and Mint it worked perfect. So I did the install and I chose to "Erase Ubuntu and install Mint option" Well that not only erased the Ubuntu partition, but it erase the W7 partition and mint had the whole 500GB. Not only that at up I got the "invalid partion table error" and had to manually choose to boot using UEFI.

This is a work laptop and IT is redoing the W7 install. They do not support Linux, so I have to do this install myself, which I have no problem with.

Questions:

1) Is using W7 to open up free space the best option?
2) How can I insure the W7 partition is not lost and the boot up is not a problem?

I hope to get the PC back today and want to be prepared to install right away.

One last question:

Should I create an image of the drive prior to this as a just in case something goes wrong and I can restote the drive with out IT having to fix it, and me be without the computer again? If so what is the "best" W7 utility for this? I am considering macrium reflect.

LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Install along side Windows 7 with a bunch of questions

Post by LindseyD. » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:45 pm

Frozen001 wrote: Questions:

1) Is using W7 to open up free space the best option?
That's what I've read.
Frozen001 wrote:2) How can I insure the W7 partition is not lost and the boot up is not a problem?
I'd do a manual install. Use the Ubuntu partition to install Mint, make sure to format the partition.

One last question:
Frozen001 wrote:Should I create an image of the drive prior to this as a just in case something goes wrong and I can restote the drive with out IT having to fix it, and me be without the computer again? If so what is the "best" W7 utility for this? I am considering macrium reflect.
I have no idea which is the best utitility, but backing up is always smarter than not backing up. :P

Good luck with it.
Mint17 KDE

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:27 pm

Frozen001 wrote:1) Is using W7 to open up free space the best option?
Assuming you get computer back and Ubuntu partitions are no longer there, (meaning Windows is back to using entire hard drive), use Windows disk manager to shrink partition to make room for Mint install. But don't use Windows to create any Linux partitions -- just leave area as unused, unpartitioned space.

Frozen001 wrote:2) How can I insure the W7 partition is not lost and the boot up is not a problem?
Safest way is to do manual installation using "Something Else" install option; but "Alongside" Windows option should now be safe to use for a standard installation where completely free space exists on the drive for Mint to use. That wasn't the case before when you had Ubuntu on it, so very unlikely that Mint will wipe out Windows this time if you choose "Alongside" option.

Be Aware:
If this is a new computer with UEFI firmware, Windows 7 could be installed in either UEFI mode or Legacy mode. You need to know which mode it has been installed in, then install Mint in the same mode. If the drive is using GPT partitions, then Windows was installed in UEFI mode. If drive is using MBR (msdos) partitions, then it was installed in Legacy mode.

Boot computer with your live Mint DVD/USB, then open a terminal and enter this command:

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
(Last character is a lowercase letter "L", not number 1.)

Look at fourth line down in output where it says "Partition Table:". It will show as either "gpt" or "msdos". Then you'll know which way Windows was installed. (If you have more than one drive in the system, make sure to look at that line for the drive where Windows is installed. If unsure, copy/paste output back here for us to see.)

You need to have the live Mint DVD/USB booted in the same mode that you'll want to install in. To confirm which mode it's booted in, enter this command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

ls /sys/firmware
If "efi" is listed in the output, then your Mint medium booted in UEFI mode. If it's not listed, the medium is booted in Legacy mode. If you find it's not booted in correct mode, reboot computer and try to access the UEFI Boot Menu to pull up boot options for the medium. You should be able to pick either mode. (Boot menu access varies by manufacturer. Usually get to it by tapping special key immediately after powering on computer: eg. <F2>, <F12>, <ESC>, or <DEL> key.)

Frozen001 wrote:Should I create an image of the drive prior to this as a just in case something goes wrong and I can restote the drive with out IT having to fix it, and me be without the computer again? If so what is the "best" W7 utility for this? I am considering macrium reflect.
Definitely a very good idea to do that! From what I've seen recommended here on forums, Macrium Reflect is probably best tool to use for making that.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:31 pm

You are asking very good questions. Excellent!
A good tutorial for you:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276
I have used this strategy on many installs.
But yes before you modify the partitions of any hard drive---backup-backup-backup.
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

Frozen001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Frozen001 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks for the tips. Got word from IT that my HD actually failed... HMMM seems odd to me, but it is under warranty, so Dell is shipping a new one.

Having never backed up an HD volume like the before I am hoping that if something goes wrong I can just use the rescue boot, and just return the drive back to its original form.

Linux and me have had a love/hate relationship, and have been an on/off/on/off...... etc. use since I first installed Slackware via floppy disks. Work seems to keep me ties to windows because of lack of EDA/CAD software support in Linux, and 90% of the world used M$ office.

My home computer is now a macbook, but I want to get a used PC laptop that will only run Linux.
Last edited by Frozen001 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:01 pm

Hello Frozen001 - It looks like LindseyD., all41, and gold_finger have covered all the bases as far as installation is concerned. I'd just like to add a couple of things on what to do pre-installation.

You should definitely use Windows Disk Management to shrink Windows C:\ partition since it will not allow you to go too far and risk losing data. Do not attempt to modify any of the other Windows system partitions in any way. Start by defragmenting Windows C:\, then use Disk Management to shrink C:\ to the desired size. Here's a tip: If you find that Disk Management does not allow you shrink the C:\ partition far enough, it's probably due to the system restore points, since Windows likes to stick them out in the middle of the drive. You will have to delete them, perform the shrink, then create a new system restore point afterwards.

The time to create a backup image of your Windows partitions is after you perform the shrink on Windows C:\ partition but before you install Linux Mint. I have found that Macrium Reflect is ideal for this, but I want to make you aware of something. There are two things you need to create with Macrium Reflect in order to restore a backup image.

The first is to create a bootable CD, DVD, or USB flash drive containing what Macrium refers to as the WinPE rescue environment. This is what is used to restore the backup image, and it works independently of the installed operating system.
Instructions on how to do this are here: http://www.macrium.com/help/v5/How_to/R ... onment.htm
And here: http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50210.aspx
And here: http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50165.aspx

The second is to create the backup image itself. Read the instructions first, then watch the video at the bottom of the page.
Instructions are here: http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50074.aspx

Instructions for restoring an image are here: http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50079.aspx
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:02 pm

The first is to create a bootable CD, DVD, or USB flash drive containing what Macrium refers to as the WinPE rescue environment.
Unless MR has made major changes to their policies recently, the FREE version does not offer the WinPE boot CD option; instead, it offered only the Linux Boot CD option -- which works OK, but doesn't have the flexibilities of the WinPE version.

Frozen001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Frozen001 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:09 pm

Great information here. Hope to have the laptop in my hands this afternoon, but I have a feeling it will be tomorrow AM since the IT guy said it will have to install all the updates, and he will probably have it do that at night so it does not plug up our tiny straw we have for bandwidth here.

From the MR website it supports Windows PE in the free version:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:37 pm

From the MR website it supports Windows PE in the free version:
OK, thanks for the update. Good to know.

Frozen001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Frozen001 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:12 am

OK so I got the laptop today, and I have reduced the windows partion, and I started Macrium Reflect. Now I have created an image of the who drive, not a clone and palced it on an external USB hard drive. Is that what I want? For some reasone I thought I needed to clone it, but MR will not allow me to use the USB drive as the cloned drive. I read the knowledge base and it appears that it may be in how my WD My Book is reporting the sector size. Before I go further I may try to use a USB to SATA adapter and clone the drive to a spare 1TB 2.5" Drive I have.

Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:28 pm

Hello Frozen001 - You really want to create a backup image of all the Windows system partitions on your current drive, you don't want to clone it. Also, did you create a CD or DVD or USB flash drive containing the WinPE rescue environment? Don't forget to do that, without it the backup image isn't very useful.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh

Frozen001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Frozen001 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:34 pm

What I have done so far is created a BootableCD, and use the MR image command since I could not use the clone command.

Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:28 am

Hello Frozen001 - I just want both of us to be sure on this. Did you choose the option "Create an Image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" when you created the backup image? Look at this link and make sure you followed the instructions in the very first example: http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50074.aspx

I'm posting a couple of screenshots of how a recent backup image appears when I open the file on my USB flash drive, please make sure yours looks the same: (double click to enlarge)

Last edited by Derek_S on Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frozen001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Frozen001 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:53 am

Looking at the same information on my image, everything is the same except I do not have the unformatted portions listed.

Return to “Installation & Boot”