Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
buzzie
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 17.1 No Sound

Post by buzzie »

I did a fresh install of Mint 17.1 and have no sound. Alsamixer shows the correct information of Card (HDA Intel) and Chip (Realtek ALC880), but the only thing listed in Sound Preferences is High Definition Audio Controller. Any suggestion how to add "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" to Sound Preferences (which I see when using Mint 13)?

StayFawnTop
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 17.1 No Sound

Post by StayFawnTop »

I had a similar issue with no sound and fixed it by installing pavucontrol.

Jeepty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jeepty »

thank you for this. This fixed the very same problem for me. I didn't need to mess with anysettings. I just installed from the repository and tested sound. Worked like a charm.

buzzie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by buzzie »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

Laugh2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Laugh2 »

Hi, I had a similar problem. After installing Mint 17.1 MATE I could only get sound from the laptop speakers, but not through headphones nor from the docking station's headphone socket or docking station's digital S/PDIF output. After several updates including a large update last week I had no sound at all. :(
(GPU hardware accelaration works now, though. Fantastic! :D)

What did Work
Instant success :D came after:
  • 1. removing all three i.e. "alsamixer"/"gnome-alsamixer"/"pavucontrol"
    2. issuing "sudo apt-get autoremove" in the terminal
    3. reinstalling "gnome-alsamixer" using the Software Manager, enable all sources i.e. checked all boxes at bottom of the GNOME ALSA Mixer window.
    (4. Note: Apps/programs using sound e.g. Firefox, etc., may well need to be restarted before they will provide sound after this procedure.)
I now have sound from all outputs, both analog and digital, both from the laptop and its docking station. Let's hope it remains so, stably. :D

What didn't (completely) Work
A) I made some progress using the following in a terminal (refer http://linuxg.net/how-to-fix-the-no-sou ... ntu-13-04/):
  • 1. sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base pulseaudio indicator-sound
    2. sudo apt-get install alsa-base pulseaudio indicator-sound
    3. sudo alsa force-reload
but results were unreliable. (Strange, linux is generally very reproduceable.)

B) After trying suggestions I found at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 2&start=20:
  • 1. "alsamixer" was installed originally
    2. installing "gnome-alsamixer" with "sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer" gave audio from the laptop speakers but no other outputs. There were also multiple error messages in the terminal when starting "gnome-alsamixer".
    3. installing "pavucontrol" using Software Manager initially gave S/PDIF digital output from the docking station but lost all analog outputs.
... which didn't work well either

(There can be differences between installing from Softare Manager and using "apt-get". Somewhere I recently read a comment that while the repositories accessed using "apt-get" may be more up-to-date, the libraries accessed using Software Manager are better tailored to the version of Linux Mint the user has. Presumably this explains the difference.)

Equipment
  • Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, 64bit, MATE
    Dell Latitude D630 laptop with 4MB RAM (Core2 Duo CPU)
    nVidia Quadro NVS 135M graphics
    Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (from "inxi -A")
    Codec: SigmaTel STAC9205 (from "cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec")
    Dell PR01X docking station
    dual booting with Windows Vista (free with the laptop, installed fresh immediately before LM17.1RC)
Last edited by Laugh2 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 8 times in total.

toniazini
Level 1
Level 1

Post by toniazini »

hi i think I have a similar problem just after installing mint 17 Mate onto a sony vaio vgn-a417M. I cannot get any sound at all from any software (video, audio) in the laptop speakers nor in my earphones! What is strange is that if I enter the audio setup, I can see the level bars playing when clementine player is running a song for instance. The same for a video on youtube. I installed pavucontrol and the same thing all seems to be ok! If i write down into a terminal : lspci | grep -i audio, I got his :

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)

and if I do this: cat /proc/asound/pcm

I got this:

00-00: ALC260 Analog : ALC260 Analog : playback 1 : capture 1
00-01: ALC260 Digital : ALC260 Digital : playback 1 : capture 1
00-02: ALC260 Alt Analog : ALC260 Alt Analog : capture 1

I am lost please help
thx

Laugh2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Laugh2 »

Did you try what worked for me (described above) i.e. uninstalling "alsamixer" and "pavucontroll" then installing "gnome-alsamixer" using Software Manager (not using "apt-get")?

toniazini
Level 1
Level 1

Post by toniazini »

problem solved by installing Cinnamon desktop
To

yoramdavid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yoramdavid »

Hi, I am having the same problem. I have sound with the earphones, bunt nothing on the speakers.
Nothing of the above changed a thing.
I am considering installing Mint Cinnamon 17.0 to see if it does not have this bug.

Under "system settings/sound", I do not have the hardware tab to change the settings there.
You laugh because I am different and I laugh because you are all the same.

yoramdavid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yoramdavid »

There was an update of pulseaudio just now and that solved the problem for me :)
You laugh because I am different and I laugh because you are all the same.

Laugh2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Laugh2 »

After about 2 months of sound using the procedure described above, I'm now back to no sound at all. :( As things were working smoothly including hibernation (but not suspend, unfortunately) LM17.1 Rebecca seemed all good.

I don't know what went wrong. Perhaps the updates Youramdavid mentioned helped him but destroyed the sound for me? Who knows. Very frustrating after having sound for a while.

So it's back to square one. None of the procedures I mentioned above seem to help at all. I came across a MATE Volume Control panel, which I hadn't used/noticed before but is installed. It doen't do anything to my system i.e. no sound at all. Can't see how to remove it either. Maybe MATE Volume Control is conflicting with the Gnome Alsa Mixer, which had been working for me previously? :?:

Can anyone help? (My equipment is described in the previous posting above.)

PS. Dare I say it? Windows Vista (dual boot) still works as before, so I doubt that there is a hardware issue.

gromenawer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gromenawer »

I have the same problem.

I see the bar with the sound waving up and down for both input and output. Alsamixer have all bars active, pavucontrol the same, and as far as I know the device selected is the correct one. But neither the speakers, not the headphones works on any program (Banshee, VLC, the sound test in the settings, etc... ) Every hardware works outside Mint (as in Windows 7).

My soundcard is the one built-in in the motherboard http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_Z97_MARK_1/

I try deleting ./pulse which it didn't exist to begin with.

This is the output of alsa-base.conf

Code: Select all

# autoloader aliases
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7

# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }
#
# Workaround at bug #499695 (reverted in Ubuntu see LP #319505)
install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-pcm-oss ; : ; }
install snd-mixer /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-mixer $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-mixer-oss ; : ; }
install snd-seq /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-seq $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-oss ; : ; }
#
install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; : ; }
# Cause optional modules to be loaded above sound card driver modules
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-emu10k1-synth ; }
install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }
# Load saa7134-alsa instead of saa7134 (which gets dragged in by it anyway)
install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist saa7134-alsa ; : ; }
# Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
options bt87x index=-2
options cx88_alsa index=-2
options saa7134-alsa index=-2
options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
options snd-usb-audio index=-2
options snd-usb-caiaq index=-2
options snd-usb-ua101 index=-2
options snd-usb-us122l index=-2
options snd-usb-usx2y index=-2
# Ubuntu #62691, enable MPU for snd-cmipci
options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
# Keep snd-pcsp from being loaded as first soundcard
options snd-pcsp index=-2
# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
options snd-usb-audio index=-2
options snd-hda-intel model=generic <- This wasn't there originally, I add it. 

Laugh2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Laugh2 »

Very strange: after re-establishing sound twice (refer above: using Gnome Alsa Mixer once, then Pavu) my sound has disappeared again. It seems that Updates has replaced Pavu Control with the Gnome Alsa Mixer - without asking! :!: Now I can't get the sound going at all :( , even by uninstalling and reinstalling Pavu and Gnome Alsa Mixer. This unreliable sound in LM17.1 Rebecca is making think I must return to Mint 13 Maya, which was reliable and stable.

Anyone else finding that sound is there one day and gone the next?

Equipment:
Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, 64bit, MATE
Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (use the command "inxi -A" in a terminal)
Codec: SigmaTel STAC9205
  • (use the command "cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec" in a terminal)

gromenawer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gromenawer »

Now, I do have sound. And I haven't done anything to change anything. :roll:

The last time I tryed was on my last post. Rebooted several times, no updates installed; fire it up just now again and with no update, no edit of any file, sounds works. I have been using the Windows 7 partition, this is ballony :cry:

Laugh2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Laugh2 »

Further to my posting above, I also had no success with "alsamixer -V all" in a terminal either even though the sound card appears to have been correctly identified. It returns the following info about the system:
  • Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k3.13.0-37-generic
    HDA Intel at 0xf6ffc000 irq 44
    00-00: STAC9205 Analog : STAC9205 Analog : playback 1 : capture 1
    00-01: STAC9205 Digital : STAC9205 Digital : playback 1
    • devices
      2: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
      3: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
      4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
      5: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
      6: [ 0] : control
      33: : timer
More details about the hardware can be found in my earlier posting above.

Laugh2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Laugh2 »

Still no sound. Now I've also tried suggestions in the following 3 posts: Progress has been made, though. :) The following actions:
  • 1) streaming TV
    2) playing radio
    3) executing "aplay -d hw:0,1 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav" in a terminal
    4) holding the Backspace button at an empty prompt in a terminal
all make the sound bar in Pavu dance. Which suggests that all seems to be working except pavu/pulse can't hitch up to the output device correctly. Presumably this is confirmed in Pavu by the Configuration tab showing "No cards avaiable for configuration" and the Output tab showing only "Dummy Output".

Can anyone help?

Details
"aplay -l" returns:
  • **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC9205 Analog [STAC9205 Analog]
    Subdevices: 0/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC9205 Digital [STAC9205 Digital]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
"inxi -Ax" returns:
  • Audio:
    Card: Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
    driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
    Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-37-generic
Proprietary Driver (as listed in Driver Manager)
  • oem-audio-hda-daily-dkms, or
    oem-audio-hda-daily-lts-utopic-dkms
Equipment
  • Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, 64bit, MATE
    Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (using the command "inxi -A" in a terminal)
    Codec: SigmaTel STAC9205
    .....(using the command "cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec" in a terminal)

Laugh2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Laugh2 »

There have been updates for both the proprietary drivers for the Intel HDA hardware (mentioned in my posting above). Unfortunately neither fixed the problem.

I fired up the laptop using Vista (dual boot) just to check that my hardware is OK. (I've not heard a "peep" for ages using LM17.1). Their jingle sounded immediately on startup and the radio played OK in Firefox. So, the hardware is OK. Must be a hitch somewhere in LM17.1 - since I had sound for a few months over Xmas then it is probably a setting which needs tweeking.

Laugh2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Laugh2 »

I booted from a Live USB of LM17.1 Rebecca 64bit MATE and the sound worked immediately both in the included sound utility's speaker test and streaming radio in Firefox. :? I had previously had sound with the installed version on my harddrive as described in postings above, but an update in February this year stopped the sound and I haven't been able to get it back :(

So, I thought I'd again try a complete reset of the sound system as described at http://itsfoss.com/fix-sound-ubuntu-1304-quick-tip/ - but without success. (I had tried this before, also without success.) I then tried a sound reset as described by http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449. Voila! Brilliant! It worked, :D

In my case the key steps to successfully rejuvinating the sound system were probably:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils
sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils
sudo reboot
(Note: especially Ubuntu and Xubuntu may have further steps, as described in the original posting.)
Others users are advised to read the original posting as I have left out details which may be useful.

This solution may well be sufficiently general to help many users without sound i.e.
A few days later ... my sound disappeared again after a program messed around with my drivers. :( To get sound working again, this time after rejuvinating the sound system I had to reinstall the driver for sound card using Driver Manager. (I described this below.)
Last edited by Laugh2 on Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:50 am, edited 6 times in total.

AngelusWebDesign
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AngelusWebDesign »

I'm having the same problem -- all the sudden. I didn't do anything. Right now, I only have one output: "Dummy output".

I tried following these various threads to get my sound working, but none of them work. My entire sound system has been reset several times over.

Here are the details of my system:

Linux Mint 17.1 64-bit MATE edition
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core 3.5 GHZ BX80646I74770K
Mobo: Gigabyte Z87 LGA 1150 HDMI (GA-Z87-D3HP)
RAM: 12 GB
HD: SATA, 1 TB Western Digital
Graphics: integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600
Audio: Realtek ALC892 codec High Definition Audio
Monitor: HDMI (LG 32" 1080p TV)

aplay -l
aplay: device_list:268: no soundcards found...

aplay -L
Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
pulse
PulseAudio Sound Server

lspci -nn | grep -i "audio"
00:03.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller [8086:0c0c] (rev 06)
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller [8086:8c20] (rev 05)

Please help! I use this machine *a lot* every day, and I can't live without my music! Thanks.

One question -- how do I determine what "driver" I'm supposed to use? I can't find out, even with Google!
I'm a bit overwhelmed by the list of 143 possible sound drivers. Is it snd-hda-codec-realtek?

Laugh2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Laugh2 »

Hi, several days after the success described above the sound disappeared again. Rejuvinating the sound system alone didn't work this time: I also had to uninstall then (re)install the sound card driver to get sound again. I'll describe this procedure for readers unfamiliar with un-/reinstallation of proprietary drivers:
  • In case the Live USB or Live DVD does work but rejuvination of the sound system as I described above (posting of 18/12/2014) doesn't provide success, then try (re)installing the driver. In my case I have a proprietary driver so I can use the Driver Manager and the procedure is as follows:

1) start the Menu
    2) type "Driver" into the search field
    3) select "Driver Manager" from the list generated
    4) scroll down the list of drivers to the driver for your sound card. Record the name of the driver as you will need it later!
    (The correct driver should already be selected, and is also usually identifiable by the manufacturer's name or the sound card's name).
    5) select "Do not use this device" for the sound card (expect to find this just below the driver)
    6) select "Apply changes" and wait until activity ends
    7) reboot your computer
    eight) start "Driver Manager" again as described above
    9) scroll down the list of drivers to the driver for your sound card
    10) select your sound card from the list for (re)installation
    11) select "Apply changes" and again wait until activity ends
    12) reboot again

With a little luck you'll have sound.
    (Non-proprietary drivers sometimes appear here too e.g. nouveau, but can be different and therefore are not described here.)
In your case hopefully the correct sound card driver is already selected in Driver Manager as it was in my case - uninstallation followed by reinstallation may then be sufficient to get your sound working again. This is likely to be the case as you had sound working until recently.
Last edited by Laugh2 on Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Installation & Boot”