Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Cattleman
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Can't boot after installing Mint 13 to USB

Post by Cattleman » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:21 am

I can boot and run Linux Mint 13 (mate or Maya?) from Live CD if I prevent auto boot and boot into compatibility mode and add the following after splash line "nomodeset xforcevesa" without the quotes. I cannot do anything with Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon Live CD.
With Linux Mint 14, all I get is a blank grey screen no matter what I do.

I installed Linux Mint 13 (mate or Maya?) from Live CD to my usb drive. ( I removed hard drive first). I let Installation CD do what it wanted and installation seemed to proceed normally. Now I am unable to boot Mint on my usb drive. (my computer will boot Windows xp from usb drive, so I know that is not my problem.) When I try to boot Mint 13, I get the following error message.

"XServer Failed to load 74.918 X.ORG XServer 1.11.3 Release date 2011-12-16
74.918 Xprotocol Version11 revision 0
74.918 Build Operating System Linux 2.6.24-29 29 server 1686 UBUNTU

I am unable to edit anything so that I can edit and add the text "nomodeset xforcevesa" after the quiet splash line.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop with ATI Radeon Xpress, AMD Turion X2 TL-50 Processor, 15.4" WXGA, 1GB Ram, Optical drive CD/DVD, 10/100 Ethernet, Dell Wireless 1390 802.11 and 4 usb 2.0
Last edited by Cattleman on Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cattleman
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Can't boot after installing Mint 13 to USB

Post by Cattleman » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:30 pm

Can't boot after installing Mint 13 to USB stick.

I can boot and run Linux Mint 13 Maya from Live CD if I prevent auto boot and boot into compatibility mode and add the following after splash line "nomodeset xforcevesa" without the quotes. I cannot do anything with Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon Live CD.
With Linux Mint 14, all I get is a blank grey screen no matter what I do.

I installed Linux Mint 13 Maya from Live CD to my usb drive. ( I removed hard drive first). I let Installation CD do what it wanted and installation seemed to proceed normally. Now I am unable to boot Mint on my usb drive. (my computer will boot Windows xp from usb drive, so I know that is not my problem.) When I try to boot Mint 13, I get the following error message.

"XServer Failed to load 74.918 X.ORG XServer 1.11.3 Release date 2011-12-16
74.918 Xprotocol Version11 revision 0
74.918 Build Operating System Linux 2.6.24-29 29 server 1686 UBUNTU

I am unable to edit anything so that I can edit and add the text "nomodeset xforcevesa" after the quiet splash line.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop with ATI Radeon Xpress, AMD Turion X2 TL-50 Processor, 15.4" WXGA, 2 GB Ram, Optical drive CD/DVD, 10/100 Ethernet, Dell Wireless 1390 802.11 and 4 usb 2.0
Last edited by Cattleman on Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cattleman
Level 3
Level 3

Solved Re: Install Linux Mint 13 on external hard drive?

Post by Cattleman » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:13 pm

I re-installed Mint 13 on a different 64 GB USB stick and then was able to boot from it by holding the left shift key down and tapping e to get the grub menu to show. I then added the boot parameters "nomodeset xforcevesa" (without the quotes) to the line next to the bottom which ends with quiet splash $vt_handoff.

How can I save this so that it becomes a permanent part of grub? I was not able to see any drivers available for my ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 legacy.

Will I need to edit the grub like this each time I boot? I also could not find any other drivers to add to my system even tho my Dell wireless 1390 802.11 legacy will not connect to internet. ( I am connecting directly to my home LAN.

Cattleman
Level 3
Level 3

Saving edits to grub

Post by Cattleman » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:28 pm

When I booted from installed Mint 13 on my USB stick, I held the left shift key down and tapped the e key to edit the line after splash by adding nomodeset xforcevesa. Will I need to do this each time I boot or will this become a permanent change?

Cattleman
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Solve boot problems with AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards

Post by Cattleman » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:02 pm

I held down the left shift key to get the GRUB boot menu to show and pressed the 'e' key to edit the boot parameters. Using the cursor keys of my keyboard I scrolled down to the line that starts with "linux" (red box in your screenshot) and went to the end of that line (red arrow in your screenshot). Then, I added the boot parameters "nomodeset xforcevesa" (without the quotes, see red box in the screenshot). As you type, it will wrap to the next line on the screen and show a backslash character at the end of the previous line. That's fine. Press Ctrl+X or F10 to continue to boot.

Thank you for this info.

My remaining question is Will this change become permanent or must I do something to save it?

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Saving edits to grub

Post by gold_finger » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:37 pm

Desktop Environment ............... Text Editor
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cinnamon ................................ gedit
Mate ....................................... pluma
Xfce ....................................... gedit
KDE ........................................ kate

Edit (12/15/14): Added additional wording in red type to clarify meaning of original instructions which seemed to cause confusion. Also, changed example from using "gedit" to "pluma" because now know that is the one OP needs to use. OP can now just copy/paste commands as they are below.

Following example will use "pluma". Substitute correct one for you according to above.

Open a terminal and type following command to open "grub" file located within the "/etc/default" directory with your text editor as root (accomplished by starting command with "gksu"):

Code: Select all

gksu pluma /etc/default/grub
In the opened text file, change this line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
To this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset xforcevesa"
Save the file and close the text editor.

Back in terminal, run this to update grub to include the changes you just made:

sudo update-grub
Close terminal and reboot. Should work now.

P.s.
Cattleman,
Noticed that you've got people answering the same question all over the place -- 4 separate threads (including this one). Do not post same question in more than one location please!
Last edited by gold_finger on Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Install Linux Mint 13 on external hard drive?

Post by gold_finger » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:42 pm

Cattleman wrote:I then added the boot parameters "nomodeset xforcevesa" (without the quotes) to the line next to the bottom which ends with quiet splash $vt_handoff.

How can I save this so that it becomes a permanent part of grub?
Answered on your other post: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p958058. There is no proprietary driver for legacy AMD/ATI cards.

Please, don't post same questions in two different threads.

Make a separate new post about your wireless issue since that doesn't apply to title of this thread and include the output of this command in the post so people can see specs of computer and wireless card:

inxi -Fxz
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can't boot after installing Mint 13 to USB

Post by karlchen » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:24 pm

<Moderator on>

Hello, Cattleman.

Please, note that posts about the same issue which you had scattered across 4 different threads have been merged into this thread here.
It is not really smart to scatter the same question / issue / problem across several threads. Doing so will confuse the users who are willing to help you. Doing so is also likely to confuse you in the end, because different people may give different or even contradictory advice in the different threads. And no-one will be able to find out which piece of advice has been followed and with which result.
So in future try to stick to "one problem per thread", please.

Cheers,
Karl

</Moderator off>
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Cattleman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Cattleman » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:49 pm

I don't understand the following instructions. I have Mint 13 Maya/Mate and my text editor is pluma but I don't know how to Open grub file with text editor as root. I also don't understand CODE: SELECT ALL. I am a newbie at Linux so I need a more simple explanation.
In the line (gksu gedit /etc/default/grub) would I substitute the word "pluma" for "gedit"? Is CODE: SELECT ALL gksu pluma /etc/default/grub all one statement? Or should I type only gksu pluma /etc/default/grub? Should I type only the green text lines? I am very confused.

Postby gold_finger on Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:37 pm

Desktop Environment ............... Text Editor
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cinnamon ................................ gedit
Mate ....................................... pluma
Xfce ....................................... gedit
KDE ........................................ kate

Following example will use "gedit". Substitute correct one for you according to above.

Open grub file with text editor as root:
CODE: SELECT ALL
gksu gedit /etc/default/grub

Change this line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

To this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset xforcevesa"

Save the file and close the text editor.

In terminal, run this to update grub:
sudo update-grub

Close terminal and reboot. Should work now.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:39 am

Cattleman wrote:In the line (gksu gedit /etc/default/grub) would I substitute the word "pluma" for "gedit"?
Yes, the Mate desktop uses "pluma" -- so your command would be gksu pluma /etc/default/grub.

Cattleman wrote:Is CODE: SELECT ALL gksu pluma /etc/default/grub all one statement? Or should I type only gksu pluma /etc/default/grub? Should I type only the green text lines?
Yes, only use the code in green. "CODE: SELECT ALL" is just telling you to select/copy the following code in the box.

Cattleman wrote:I don't know how to Open grub file with text editor as root.
Sorry if wasn't clear. The statement "Open grub file with text editor as root" was describing what the command would do. So, just run the command and that will open the file "grub" in the "/etc/default" directory with "pluma" text editor and the "gksu" at the beginning will do so as root. You'll be asked for your password after you hit enter. The terminal will not show your password as you type it -- that's normal, so just type it and hit enter.

Cattleman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Cattleman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:45 pm

Pluma starts with a blank page labeled "new document" How do I get to a place where I can use pluma to open grub using the following command "gksu pluma /etc/default/grub"? Since I am on a new document page, I am confused.

Seems to me that I need to enter terminal from my menu.

From here, I can probably enter "gksu pluma /etc/default/grub" Am I right? And will this display what is originally there so that I can edit it?

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:53 pm

I just edited my instructions in previous post to make them clearer. Go back up to them here and they should be more understandable.

Cattleman
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Re: Can't boot after installing Mint 13 to USB

Post by Cattleman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:24 pm

MUCH JOY Thank you gold_finger for your help and patience, I did exactly as you said and now this problem is solved.
As you can see, I am at the bottom of the learning curve. When I started, I was below the bottom. Even though I have fair Windows knowledge, this is a new beginning for me and a much needed escape from my previous O.S.

Thank you again

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:36 pm

You're welcome. Glad to help.
Cattleman wrote:As you can see, I am at the bottom of the learning curve.
Don't worry -- we all start at the bottom. You might find this list of beginner information handy: Linux Basics: Useful Beginner Information.

Note: To mark your thread as solved, you need to go to your first post in the thread and edit the title there. Otherwise "[SOLVED]" doesn't show up on thread in main board listing -- only within the thread itself, as seen in your last post.

Cattleman
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Re: Can't boot after installing Mint 13 to USB

Post by Cattleman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:53 pm

JOY I just learned how to edit grub and save edit to grub with much help from gold_finger. Thanks again.

Return to “Installation & Boot”