Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Robert82
Level 1
Level 1

Persistent Mint on USB Stic won't boot after software update

Post by Robert82 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:51 pm

Dear Mint Users,

I am using Linux for a long time now but I don't have any experience in editing booting arguments.

So, let me begin with the issue:
Using the Startup Disc Creator, Linux Mint 17 was installed persistently on an USB stick. After starting it for the first time, it did not boot straight through, as it did not find some .c32 files. The booting process stopped at the commandline level, waiting for a command. After typing "live" or "xforcevesa", Mint started and worked well. However, after I gave it a software update, it wouldn't boot anymore. The commands "live" or "xforcevesa" were prompted with

Code: Select all

Booting kernel failed: Invalid argument
I think, there could be a problem with the bootloader, since it may not find the right kernel to boot anymore.

I appreciate your suggestions!

Kind regards,

Robert

turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Persistent Mint on USB Stic won't boot after software up

Post by turtlebay » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:49 pm

You are only supposed to use a USB to install the Linux on your hard drive, instead of using a DVD. Once it's installed on your hard drive then you can do updates on the installed system.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Persistent Mint on USB Stic won't boot after software up

Post by gold_finger » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:48 pm

Live USB's (even one's with persistence) aren't really meant to be updated. If you want a USB that can be updated then best bet is to do a real installation to the USB (just like you would to a hard drive). General process for that would be:
  • * Make live DVD/USB to use for running the installer
    * Have another USB to install to.
    • -- delete anything on it currently
      -- use GParted from the live DVD/USB to make and format partitions for install
      -- make one for Root partition, Ext4 formatting
      -- make a small Swap partition (500MB - 1GB) if you don't have a lot of RAM on computer
    * Run the installer program and choose "Something else" install method
    * On partitioning page, select Root partition you made on the USB stick:
    • -- click "Change" button
      -- Use as = Ext4 file system
      -- Mount point = /
      -- Size = leave as you already made it
      -- Format box = doesn't matter if you check it or not (you already formatted it in GParted)
      -- Swap partition: no need to do anything with it -- it will be automatically used.
      -- Device for boot loader installation = /dev/sdX (substitute correct letter for the USB stick in place of "X"), not /dev/sda (which will be the default value shown).
      -- Click "Finish" installation.
    * When done, shutdown/reboot and set computer to boot from USB
    * Now you can run initial updates to the system in same manner as if installed to hard drive.
    * Can do everything with USB that could be done from hard drive. System will just run a bit slower from USB.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Return to “Installation & Boot”