Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jonas-e
Level 3
Level 3

upgrade from 14 to latest release, advice needed

Post by jonas-e »

I have Linux Mint 14 Nadia MATE 64 bit running and I would like to upgrade to the latest stable long-term-support release - I believe that is 17.1 Rebecca?

According to this youtube video, I can do that rather simply by:
  1. replace version names in /etc/apt/sources.list
  2. run "sudo apt-get update"
  3. run "sudo apt-get dist -upgrade -y"
  4. reboot
What are the appropriate version names for the release?
Is it possible to upgrade this way - even all the way from 14 to 17.1?

The video I refer to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYWE21wwEMg
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Re: upgrade from 14 to latest release, advice needed

Post by Hoser Rob »

Why do you want to upgrade? Is something not working? Is there some feature you can't do without?

From the mint tutorials site:
Do you need to upgrade?

If things are working fine and you're happy with your current system, then you don't need to upgrade.

A new version of Linux Mint is released every 6 months. It usually comes with new features and improvements but there's nothing wrong with sticking with the release you already have. In fact, you could skip many releases and stick with the version that works for you.

Each release receives bug fixes and security updates for about 18 months (or 3 years in the case of "Long Term Support" releases such as Linux Mint 13). The development team is also focused on the latest release. If bug fixes and security updates are important to you, you should regularly upgrade to the latest releases, otherwise there's nothing wrong with keeping things as they are.

As a general rule... unless you need to, or unless you really want to, there's no reason for you to upgrade.
If you upgrade you may get just the bug fix you need. But there are always more bugs in a new release. Unless you really need something specific fixed you'll end up with less bugs with the lts you have.

I have upgraded from an lts with my netbook because it's had hardware support issues in linux. I needed a newer kernel. Those issues have been fixed now and it's running Mint 17 Mate. I see no reason for upgrading as long as it's still supported.

That's your decision though. The above quote is from this guide:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

One more thing: I prefer to do a clean reinstall rather than upgrading. it's more reliable. Creating a separate /home partition really helps for doing this in the future.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, jonas-e.

This tutorial video Upgrade Linux Mint 16 to 17 seems much better.
But Mint 14 and Mint 17.1 are pretty far away from each other, so my recommendation will not be doing an in-place upgrade. But basically it might work.

Keep in mind:
Mint 14 did not use the extra.linuxmint.com repository, but only packages.linuxmint.com. So a second Linux Mint repository has been added and you should added it in your sources.list file, too.
Command #3 is syntactcally incorrect: there is no space in the string "dist-upgrade".

Version nicknames:
Ubuntu: quantal => trusty
Linux Mint: nadia => rebecca

Good luck,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Hoser Rob.
Why do you want to upgrade? Is something not working? Is there some feature you can't do without?
Linux Mint 14 is obsolete. It reached the end of its supported lifetime in May 2014. This is the reason why switching to a supported version is overdue.
Cf. Still using Linux Mint 14, 15, or 16? Upgrade to 17 asap!

Cheers,
Karl
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
jonas-e
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jonas-e »

Thanks for your responses!
Hoser Rob wrote:Why do you want to upgrade?
karlchen wrote:Linux Mint 14 is obsolete
That is the reason - plus there is a bug that has been annoying me for over a year: When locking the screen, the lock-screen dialog sometimes disappears, only option is to make a hard reset/reboot.

I installed it medio 2013, don't know why I ended up with version 14, was very surprised to find it obsolete only about a year later. Would like a long-term supported release this time. Which one would you recommend - is 17.0 less buggy than 17.1?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

jonas-e wrote:Would like a long-term supported release this time. Which one would you recommend - is 17.0 less buggy than 17.1?
Karlchen's advice is excellent.
I have found 17.1 to be very good so far. If you want to be very conservative, you can install 17 first. The upgrade from 17 to 17.1 is very easy and is done with the Mint Update Manager.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, jonas-e.

Oh, I see. I understand your amazement, because the article which I linked to recommends upgrading to Mint 17, not Mint 17.1.
Well, the article was written at a point in time when Mint 17 was the current LTS release. Mint 17.1 is merely an update to Mint 17. They are both LTS. Both based on Ubuntu 14.04. They will both be supported till April 2019.
Only currently Mint 17.1 will give you are a more recent MDM + a more recent Mate or a more recent MDM + a more recent Cinnamon.
In the near future Mint 17.1 KDE and Mint 17.1 xfce will be available, too.
I guess in order to avoid any such confusion we should add an amendment to xenopeek's article which will mention Mint 17.1, too. - Done.

Thanks to austin.texas for chiming in. :-)

Cheers,
Karl
jonas-e
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jonas-e »

Thanks everyone! No CD drive on machine. Can I just throw the iso-file directly on a USB stick or does it require some special process?
It's been a while, seem to remember that I used http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ or so before.
jonas-e
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jonas-e »

Sorry, just found the USB Image Writer app on my system :)
Falconus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Falconus »

Just a friendly reminder since you haven't done this in a long time - back everything up first, because if you do a fresh install, the new version will overwrite the old version.
jonas-e
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jonas-e »

That's odd, it doesn't work with the 17.1 stick. It boots to the point where I have a great looking desktop, I can click and interact with it and start eg firefox or calculator - but it only stays for max 30 seconds, then I get black screen and all is gone, see photo. Fan still running, I have to hold power button in to stop the machine, but I can't interact with it.

Screenshot of machine specifications attached. I bought it in March 2013, it has been running Mint Mate 14 since.

Any ideas what I can do?
Attachments
Machine components.
Machine components.
Mint 17.1 up and running for 30 sec before it goes black.
Mint 17.1 up and running for 30 sec before it goes black.
jonas-e
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jonas-e »

Instead of 17.1, I downloaded 17 but same result. I've now successfully started it up in compatibility mode with Mint 17 from a USB drive - it works - i.e. it doesn't crash.

But I have no idea how to proceed?

I'm afraid to install it since it doesn't work in the regular mode from the USB drive.

Any suggestions?

Return to “Installation & Boot”