Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Installing Mint to a second Hard Drive SOLVED

Post by bicky »

I am setting up a system for a colleague - he has Windows Vista loaded on to his " C" hard drive.
He also has a second Hard Drive installed "E" which he wants to install Mint 17.
The question is will he be presented with an opening Menu offering either Mint or Windows, or will the whole set up crash and offer nothing
Last edited by bicky on Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Installing Mint to a second Hard Drive

Post by Biker »

It depends on how you set everything up.

My notebook has two hard drives. sda contains Windows and sdb contains my linux distributions. I use the escape key to get the default boot menu for the notebook and select the drive I wish to use at the time.

You can, however, install Mint to the second drive and then write the boot menu to the primary drive (in this case, the Windows drive). GRUB will then offer the option to boot into Windows or Mint. Make sure you have a Windows disc handy just in case GRUB gets flakey and you need to fix the MBR of the first drive.
Linux User #384279
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

You need to understand that "C" and "E" are drive letters -- which are, despite the wording, NOT assinged to drives, but instead, are assigned to partitions located on drives. You can have both partitions on the same physical drive, or you could have each on its own physical drive.

IF you're not certain which is the case, then you can use the Disks utility to look at your PC, as it will have a separate panel for each physical drive.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bicky »

Thanks guys - got it - done it- works just fine.

Return to “Installation & Boot”