HW RAID (PCI controller) broken after Mint install?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Rayeta76
Level 3
Level 3

HW RAID (PCI controller) broken after Mint install?

Post by Rayeta76 »

Hello everybody, you have not passed through here, and well get a problem for computer geniuses.
I have a PCI raid controller card in which I have 2 hard drives in mirror, there had win7, had because after installing Linux Mint 17 KDE, the raid is broken and does not boot my win7.
Upon entering the bios of the card I see that the raid is invalid, thus not start.
If I appear windows in the grub, but will not start because the mbr guess would be the two discs and now there is the system boot win7.
the card is this:
http://es.startech.com/Tarjetas-perifer ... PCISATA4R1
How do I have to do to have the dual boot?
The setting is 2 hard drives in raid 0 with win7 and ssd directly connected to the motherboard with linux mint 17 kde.
Linux does not recognize the disks in the raid card, and the boot does not work.
Any ideas?
seawolf167
Level 4
Level 4

Re: HW RAID (PCI controller) broken after Mint install?

Post by seawolf167 »

Since neither Windows nor Linux Mint is starting, and you said "Upon entering the bios of the card I see that the raid is invalid, thus not start", you need to double and triple check the settings, logs, and configuration of your hardware raid controller. If you can't get it working through the controller, your raid card is probably broken or more likely, a drive has failed. Hardware raid is setup before the computer boots (i.e. hit [F10] to enter Adaptec Raid Controller Setup or whatever like you said). When the computer boots, it does not see a raid array, nor know anything about it (hardware raid that is; software raid is a different beast), all it sees is the "single disk" presented to it by the hardware raid controller.
Rayeta76
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayeta76 »

Hello;
Any idea how I do the installation? Now as you say tendo only one single disc, the raid is removed.
I want to install win 7 on the PCI raid controler and installing LMKDE not break the raid bios settings created in the Bios controller.
seawolf167
Level 4
Level 4

Post by seawolf167 »

No operating system can "break" a hardware raid (as I mentioned, a software raid is completely different). It simply doesn't work that way. The hardware controller sets up the disks according to however you configured them (raid 1,2,5, etc.), then presents them to the operating system as a single disk. Thus the operating has no idea that the drives are even setup as a raid array.

When you boot your computer, watch the POST messages that scroll by for information about your computer, disks, etc. You'll also see a message saying "Hit <some_key_stroke> to enter {hardware_raid_controller_name}'s setup." Hit that keystroke, then ensure that your controller is working, that the drives are working, have not failed, have not fallen out of raid, and are configured properly, etc.

Return to “Installation & Boot”