Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bemery94
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint empty installation

Post by bemery94 »

Edit. After googling the problem, I think the issue may be that I installed the reserved bios boot area to something other than sda. How do I install it to sda? When I click on sda it doesn't give me an option to install anything to it. Do I have to repartition the hard drive?

'm currently running windows 8.1 and was previously dual booting with ubuntu. I deleted the partitions containing ubuntu and also followed numerous steps to reinstall the windows boot manager, but in the boot manager, it still has "windows boot manager", "ubuntu" and "Ubuntu". I've tried numerous ways but I can't get rid of the 2 ubuntu's.

The problem I'm having is that after attempting to install Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon with a USB (I also had the computer in legacy mode since it was only showing a black screen after GRUB when I ran it in secure mode), I went through the entire installation successfully except when I rebooted, it just booted to the GRUB screen and I didn't know where to go from there. Additionally, when I went back into windows and checked the partitions, it showed the linux partitions as 100% free.

Side note: I initially ran the installation making a root, home and swap partition but I got an error saying I needed a partition for the boot drive. The first time I tried the mint installation, I skipped the error message and then after deleting the partitions and retrying the installation, I made a 500mb BIOS boot loader partition. Both times it had the same result of booting to the GRUB screen.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

Thank you!
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint empty installation

Post by Fornhamfred »

Have you tried following this link: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/245

The Mint grub will install into the mbr partition of your harddrive normally shown as sda1 in linux. It should replace the windows startup screen and allow you to choose which system to use, you can set Grub2 to use the last selection as the default for the next startup.
bemery94
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bemery94 »

Thanks for the response Fornhamfred. I followed the instructions of that link and when I tried to run the grub-install line, it returned:

Code: Select all

grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of `/cow'.
Installing for i386-pc platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.
I then followed the instructions of a comment:
for "grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of /cow."
instead of running grub-install, run cmd below:
mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
chroot /mnt
grub-install /sd#
update-grub
But that returned:

mint / # grub-install /sda
grub-install.real: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /sda.  Check your device.map.
mint / # update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-37-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-37-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.elf
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
  No volume groups found
done
Any ideas?

Btw I maybe should add, in the boot manager it has windows boot manager, ubuntu and Ubuntu. If I select either of the ubuntu's it shows a GRUB GNU comman line thing in the middle of a blank screen.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

grub-install.real: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /sda. Check your device.map.

grub-install /dev/sda
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
bemery94
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bemery94 »

Flemur wrote:grub-install.real: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /sda. Check your device.map.

grub-install /dev/sda
Ok I tried this and this is the response I got:

mint / # sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo: unable to resolve host mint
Installation finished. No error reported.

mint / # update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-37-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-37-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.elf
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
  No volume groups found
done
It still didn't seem to work, there's still only windows and 2 ubuntu entries in the boot manager. Is this where I should be seeing an entry for linux mint? Also, I'm booting in Legacy mode because when I boot in UEFI the screen goes black (when I boot linux mint). Could this be a problem?

Return to “Installation & Boot”