Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Tom P
Level 2
Level 2

[solved]Problems after removing 2nd distro

Post by Tom P » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:16 am

I have a dual-boot setup with an old XP and LM13. XP sits in /dev/sda1 and LM13 in /dev/sda6, which is carved out of /dev/sda3. Recently I installed Ubuntu LXLE to try it out by splitting sda6 into sda6+sda7 using the GParted to split/resize the partition.
I've now decided to remove the Ubuntu LXLE, and followed some instructions suggested on ubuntuforums.org, meaning I use GParted to delete sda7 and resize sda6. It then says to run update-grub. However the LM13 no longer boots, instead the Grub rescue prompt appears. After more searching in forums, I can use these commands to back into LM13 -

Code: Select all

set root=(hd0,msdos6)
set prefix=(hd0,msdos6)/boot/grub
insmod normal
normal
I then ran

sudo update-grub
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-23-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-23-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Microsoft Windows XP Professional on /dev/sda1
done
However, the system still wont boot. What else do I need to do?
Last edited by Tom P on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackVeils
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Problems after removing 2nd distro

Post by BlackVeils » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:07 am

try Boot Repair, the recommended repair. boot a live dvd/usb of a ubuntu based system, instal Boot Repair ppa, when the program opens, you simply click a button. it should just reinstal grub.

easy guide:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot- ... _in_Ubuntu

Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:09 am

IMHO you may have damaged the LM13 install when you resized the partition.
As you do not say that you have a separate home partition you cannot just reload LM13 so I suggest that copy the user files to another partition and then re-install LM13 telling it to use the partition that you copied your home files to as home.

Tom P
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tom P » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:43 am

Thanks for your fast responses, here's the current situation. I booted from the Ubuntu Live CD and ran boot-repair from the menu with the options "run in terminal" and system rights.Nothing visible happened. I then rebooted and landed in the grub rescue prompt once again. I then typed in the rescue commands and rebooted LM13. Now things seem to be going SNAFU. The LM13 starts but it says there's no Wlan and no way to start it, so consequently no way to get at the repository. I'm now rebooting from the Live CD again. Again it says there's no WLAN, it shows the status as "wireless is disabled by hardware switch". Looks like I'm screwed somehow.

deepdrummer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deepdrummer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:31 am

The hardware switch is enabled and disabled in the Bios. It can be disabled by some software such as usb wifi adapter software (I never install the software, I let the system software find and install the drivers for those). There are usually two or three spots that address it in the BIOS. One of the spots enables or disables the enabling and disabling of the switch. I.E. if that option is not enabled, then even though you enable the switch in the other section, it has no effect. You have to drill down through absolutely everything to be sure. There are times you just have to go to an external usb wifi adapter which is outside the BIOS since wifi adapter \s just give out at times too. I'd try a direct wire or a usb wifi adapter (gigabit N is fast) if settings in the Bios are ok. Internal wifi adapters often die. Plug in or borrow a usb wifi adapter. Check the BIOS before you give up. You'll get it.
A link for how to get to BIOS settings for reference:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthepro ... ess_pc.htm

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:01 pm

It should be simple to fix. You are doing great by booting Mint 13 with the method you described, and running "sudo update-grub" was the correct thing. Good job, so far.
The only step that is missing is to boot into Mint 13 and run

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Tom P
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tom P » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi Austin.Texas,

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
was the key, the Grub menu pops up and boot sequence now works. Thanks! I have no idea why the original post didn't mention this. Deepdrummer, I just checked the BIOS, the WLAN is enabled, so it seems like some weird coincidence the WLAN chip went west just as I was changing the bootstrap. FYI, WLAN doesn't work on the XP installation any more either, so it's not just Linux. It's an old laptop I use for emergencies and field trips, maybe I'll still spend the $20 on a USB WLAN stick. :lol:

Gannet
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [solved]Problems after removing 2nd distro

Post by Gannet » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:45 am

I had the same problem with Mint17.1 and xfce. I did the grub-install and update-grub without sucess. I was still geting Grub rescue on booting, having to change the settings and run normal after each re-boot.

Installing Boot-Repair https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair did the job straight away:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair
I know it's there already, I just thought to pass on my experience. NOTE: This didn't fix a problem with booting my Windows XP partition, but the orininal disk I copied it from wouldn't boot either! So it fixes Grub problems but not Windoze boot problems.

Return to “Installation & Boot”