Boot&Grub problems Dual booting Windows 10 & Linux Mint 17.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
O.snow91

Boot&Grub problems Dual booting Windows 10 & Linux Mint 17.

Post by O.snow91 »

Installed Windows 10, Created a unallocated space, installed Linux Mint 17. Now tryin to fix and get the dual-boot option. Currently it is only booting from Windows 10. I was hoping to fix it with the BootRepairDisk, but had no luck with that. Please se Read.me file http://paste.ubuntu.com/10606788/

At hand, Tnx for reeding.

- O
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Boot&Grub problems Dual booting Windows 10 & Linux Mint

Post by JOPETA »

Get into the "BIOS" and recheck: UEFImode enable (it was), Boot Secure disable (it was) and Fast Boot disable too. Saved changes in "BIOS" setting. When reboot, as soon as logo appears press the "one-time boot" key (F11 in my case) repeatly and choose Boot Repair UEFI option in the menu. This prevent Windows to protect partitions to be write or mount. Keep the partions unmounted before run again Boot Repair (standard) and follow instructions carefully in order. Get lucky.
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)
O.snow91

Post by O.snow91 »

If i got this right UEFI mode and Legacy mode is the same? Ex. If i enable/diable Legacy mode it will load/unload the CSM for running older version like XP?

Boot secure is okay, i know where to find that.

The one-time boot you are speaking of, is that the same as i use to get into BIOS F10 or to change device order F9, in my case.

Thanks you for replaying :D

- O
O.snow91

Post by O.snow91 »

That did not work :| I tried to start if from UEFI, when i was in BRC starting up the boot repair program it said .. The boot of your PC is in Legacy mode. Please change to the EFI mode.

- O
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

If i got this right UEFI mode and Legacy mode is the same?
They are so different that is not correct to say BIOS refering EUFI setting. In Legacy (BIOS) mode all UEFI functions are disabled including Boot Secure. UEFI is the way Window 10 is installed and the way you'r trying dual boot your computer. It must be enable to run Boot Repair in order to get acces to the UEFI files that are in UEFI, Windows and Mint partitions.
If i enable/diable Legacy mode it will load/unload the CSM for running older version like XP?
In Lagacy BIOS you will be able only to boot Windows XP if it is installed in a diferent MBR disk. In UEFI/CSM mode depending on the order you pre-set on booting the system will start on W10 or WXP (single boot). In any case, XP must be the first SO installed in your computer,then W10 and Mint must be the last one to be installed in order to get a triple boot with GRUB. W7 is a different case because it is possible to install in GPT disks and UEFI mode (last editions).

That's another question, now the problem is dual boot W10 and Mint in UEFI mode, so F9 key can not be used in UEFI mode. Changing device is a BIOS function and will brake stat-up and turn in to legacy mode. Do not press this key to boot BRC neither. That's because the error
The boot of your PC is in Legacy mode. Please change to the EFI mode
As the first BR report, the system starp-up in UEFI mode and Boot Secure was "disable".That was good, but fails because Windows was not completly shutdown and prevent BR to make changes in SSD so Fast Start or hibernation were enabled in Windows.So, BR was able to read but not write in UEFI partition.
The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.
I don't know, the way your "BIOS" works, even more, still don't know your computer's brand and model, so can not direct on changing BIOS setting. In other computers the UEFI boot menu is obtined by pressing F12 , F8 , F2 .

In any case you can disable Fast Start and Secure Boot. even choose the EUFI device to boot, on Windows 10 as on Windows 8: Control Panel --> Power Options --> Choose what the power button does and uncheck "turn on fast start-up (recommended)" , then open a console with adm. rights and type powercfg.exe -h off, to disable hibernation. Holding the SHIFT key and click on Restart, then Troubleshoot>UEFI Firmware Settings and go BIOS to change UEFI setting if needed.

If you are using BR CD you'd better try USB live. No problem was reported with this media, and may solve the problem with Windows surveillance if you are not able to make a "cold start-up".
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

UEFI is the way Window 10 is installed
NOT necessarily the case. I have a "legacy" BIOS machine and Win10TP installed and works just fine.

And, before anyone asks, it is the 64-bit version of Win10. So, UEFI is not required for that, either.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

UEFI is the way Window 10 is installed
You can install it that way, but it is not required. I have a "legacy" BIOS machine and Win10TP installed and works just fine. And, before anyone asks, it is the 64-bit version of Win10. So, UEFI is not required for that, either.

What is required is that if you have one OS installed in UEFI, I believe the other has to be installed that way, too. I don't believe you can mix UEFI and legacy BIOS installation modes on the same machine and have them work.
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

As per boot-repair's Pastebin
Partition Start Sector End Sector # of Sectors System
/dev/sda1 2,048 616,447 614,400 Windows Recovery Environment (Windows)
/dev/sda2 616,448 821,247 204,800 EFI System partition
/dev/sda3 821,248 1,083,391 262,144 Microsoft Reserved Partition (Windows)
/dev/sda4 1,083,392 132,038,655 130,955,264 Data partition (Windows/Linux)
/dev/sda5 132,038,656 147,662,847 15,624,192 Swap partition (Linux)
/dev/sda6 147,662,848 234,440,703 86,777,856 Data partition (Linux)
And yes you can mix both, depending on your computer. There must be an UEF/CSM or UEFI/Legacy option. The problem, it is a single boot as pre-select boot device order in "BIOS". I had this installation in two different disks (MBR mint and GPT Windows), but never try it in separated partitions of the same disk.
Maybe you'll need to install Grub in UEFI partition (as Boot Repair does) or REfind in order to get dual boot but w/o Mint UEFI installed I don't know if it will works. Now i have Mint KDE installed in the MBR HD and Windows & Mint Cinnamon installed in UEFI mode in the SSD and i'm able to boot both Mints from Grub starting in UEFI mode.
Last edited by JOPETA on Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O.snow91

Post by O.snow91 »

Tnx for suggestion's guys! I did my best followed them, didn't get far tho!

Please se the video where i'm showing in detalil, maybe it's somthing funumental i do wrong? Please take i look i would be happy to hear from you :)

Cheers, - O

http://youtu.be/g74nZZ83_5w
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

Private video, why?
O.snow91

Post by O.snow91 »

JOPETA wrote:Private video, why?
sry, the video is not ready to be view'd. Upload in progress. Cheers

- O
aaronplanell

Re: Boot&Grub problems Dual booting Windows 10 & Linux Mint 17.

Post by aaronplanell »

Uninstall the Windows 10 ext2fsd file system driver. Probably is corrupting your ext3 file system.
PS: View last message of viewtopic.php?t=262938 thread for more information.

Return to “Installation & Boot”