[SOLVED] How to boot up Mint from .iso image on desktop?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] How to boot up Mint from .iso image on desktop?

Post by jaderiver »

I just downloaded Rebecca Mint 17.1 and have the iso image sitting on my desktop. mid5sum checks out. I just read in the Mint 15 Guide that ...

"Note: It is also possible to write the ISO image to a USB stick or other memory device and boot from that,
or to boot from the ISO image on the hard drive, but these options are somewhat more advanced and the
method presented here is recommended. For help with alternative methods of installing and running Linux
Mint, please visit the forums."

So... just visited/searched the forums quite extensively, but still have not found how to boot from image on my desktop.
I want to boot up from my .iso image before burning onto CD and installing.

So ... how?

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
T-Mobile 5G or 4GLTE hotspot
; WiFi/Tether to Android hotspot
MrBob22
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to boot up Mint from .iso image on desktop?

Post by MrBob22 »

You burn the iso image to the cd or dvd and then you get what is called a "live" cd/dvd. You dont have to install from this disk. You can just boot from the disk and run Linux Mint from the disk. That way, you can try it out and see what you think. You might also find out if your hardware has any issues before installing on your hard drive. BTW, you really cannot use the iso image directly from your hard drive. It has to be burned to a disk and booted from a disk or usb stick (using a utility like UNetbootin). I use Brassero to make the burned iso image to the disk. If you are using Windows, you have to select a similar iso burning program to make the disk. Does this make sense? Good luck, MrBob22
MrBob22
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MrBob22 »

OH - let me amend what I posted. You can boot from the hard drive, but I still think its better to burn a disk and boot from that.

The hard dirve boot also uses Unetbootin, a program that allow such things to happen.
This link gives some tips on how to do it:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-B ... 0443.shtml
MrBob22
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jaderiver »

Thank you so much for your reply, including the link to instructions on booting the image from the harddrive. I checked it out, and was all set to download unetbootin, when I decided to burn onto a DVD and try Rebecca live. Now I have other questions, but will post new topics for those answers.

Thanks again!
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
T-Mobile 5G or 4GLTE hotspot
; WiFi/Tether to Android hotspot

Return to “Installation & Boot”