phpwiz
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved]Not able to decrease Root installation size-GParted

Post by phpwiz »

GParted Screenshot
GParted Screenshot
Hi,

I have tried to decrease the size of root installation in my Linux Mint 17.1 Installation using Cinnamon Desktop. The reason being that whole disk is a single partition and I think I need to increase the size of boot directory and also add a Linux swap partition ? I have tried doing this by logging through bootable Linux USB and using Gparted, but GParted does not allow to decrease the size of root installation. Infact, it does not move at all.

Do I need Linux Swap at all ? attaching the screenshot of Gparted.

Regards.
Last edited by phpwiz on Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Not able to decrease Root installation size using GParte

Post by Fred Barclay »

How much RAM do you have? If it is 4 GB or more, swap is not required--I'd still create it anyway.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

jtarin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jtarin »

This should be done prior to installation of the OS with its MBR. There are alternatives to GParted that will do this but there is always a risk of data loss. Paragon Partition Manager is a good one for this.
Former Slackware user breaking bad.

Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Hello phpwhiz - The reason you cannot alter the size of that partition using Gparted is because it's an encrypted logical volume.

Do you remember when you installed Linux Mint? You must have checked the two boxes marked "Encrypt the new installation for security" and "Use LVM with the new installation", because that's the only way you could end up with the partition setup displayed in your screenshot.

There are no simple utilities with a graphical user interface that can do this. However, resizing an encrypted LVM can be done manually from the Terminal. Be warned: It's rather complicated and I do not recommend it if you are new to Linux. Here is a link to the Ubuntu Help Wiki describing how it is done. Read it, and if you understand the process, then proceed. If you do not, then stay away. Again, you have been warned. :twisted:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Resiz ... Partitions
"Truth is becoming rarer and rarer as time passes. It is only a matter of time before it will cease to exist."

phpwiz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phpwiz »

Hi,

Thanks all for your valuable comments.

Derek, Yes, I have encrypted my hard disk, Thats why the Screenshot says this, You got it right. I'll try Try paragon Partition Manager as suggested by jtarin too..

Fred, I do have 4 GB RAM and as u suggest, I would like to make a swap partition...

Regards,
PHPWiz

Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Hello phpwhiz - There is no need for you to create a separate swap partition. Inside of the volume group there should be two logical volumes - one for root and one for swap. If you want to verify this for yourself, boot into Linux Mint, open the Terminal and enter "sudo lvdisplay", then examine the output.
"Truth is becoming rarer and rarer as time passes. It is only a matter of time before it will cease to exist."

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

phpwiz wrote:I think I need to increase the size of boot directory
Why do you think that? Do you have something peculiar/special in mind for that partition?

Right now only 53MB of the 243MB boot partition is being used, so you have plenty of room there.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

jtarin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jtarin »

I failed to notice your disk was encrypted. You will have to decrypt it before you can re-size it.
Former Slackware user breaking bad.

mbohets
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mbohets »

Don't forget to backup files you certainly do not want to loose before changing the partition !!

If things go wrong, linux can be easily reinstalled, but your personal files will be gone forever if you don't have a backup.
Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religion

phpwiz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phpwiz »

Thanks all for your guidelines. Great response.

Return to “Installation & Boot”