What is the minimum partition size for Mint install?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
DaveG11
Level 1
Level 1

What is the minimum partition size for Mint install?

Postby DaveG11 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:26 am

Searched with every search strategy I could come up with - but, cannot find an answer.

What is the minimum partition size for installing Mint 5?

As a newbie, I'll be installing via the Install button. Please, if I have to change something, and I cannot change it via a button in the installer, walk me through any additional steps to minimize installation, or point me to a tutorial or glossary...

Target drive: 36 gig SCSI
Will be dual-boot with Windows XP Pro.
Available free space is 14 gig (the used space is Windows and ancillaries)... HOWEVER, I need to set aside 5 gig out of that for updating/maintenance reasons -- SO... only 9 gig truly free.
System has 2 gig RAM, so swap (does Mint even need a swap file?) should be minimal.

SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What is the minimum partition size for Mint install?

Postby SiKing » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:02 am

I'm running Mint5-GNOME. My root, not counting /home, is 4.1GB. On top of that I have a 2GB swap partition, but any home user today (especially one who dual-boots into Windows) should be able to get away with 1GB. You want to swap to a partition, swapping to a file is too much like work to set it up.

DaveG11
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DaveG11 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:16 am

Thanks!

Is there an option button on the installer that allows me to set a partition for swap? I installed Mint on my Thinkpad, but I no longer remember the options offered to me... mostly because I was constrained to go with defaults (and therefore didn't pay much attention to alternate options) because I don't know enough to customize any element of the installation.

SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Postby SiKing » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:17 pm

If I recall (it has been a while), there is a button for "I don't know what I'm doing" (this will use your entire disk and make up whatever it feels it needs), there is a another for "I have Windows on there and I don't want it destroyed" (you need to have enough free space prepared and only that will be used), and then there is an option for "I'll do it myself" (self-explanatory?).

Return to “Installation & Boot”