Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

(SOLVED) Mint13-32bit Install Acer Aspire 3000

Post by pcpunk »

I know this is not a great laptop, but all other distro's I have tried - install well enough - but in Compatibility Mode. It has the BCM4318 Broadcom wireless Network Adapter and believe that is the reason it needs to be started in Compatibility mode as far as I know. Of course the distro I want the most (mate13-32bit) won't install but will run fine on LiveDVD in Compatibility Mode. I tried mintkde13 also and it is the same problem. Crazy enough mintmate17 installed and worked after installing the wireless firmware drivers. I don't know what I am doing wrong. If some one needs more info I will be back soon. I really want this distro as I run Mint on my main pc, but, don't like the way mate17 ran, and xfce and many others did not work well either.
Last edited by pcpunk on Sun May 03, 2015 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Mint13-32bit Install Acer Aspire 3000

Post by gold_finger »

You didn't describe what happens during your failed attempts at Mint 13, but I suspect this post may help: Mint 13 Specific Install Tips.

If that isn't what's causing the problem, please describe what's going wrong in more detail.

P.s. If you need to boot in "Compatibility mode" that may be a graphics driver issue rather than Broadcom. Run the driver manager in the installed Mint 17 Mate to see if any proprietary graphics drivers are available. That may be the reason you're not happy with how it runs.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Thanks gold_finger. I was able to install, but when I reboot it stalls out in Grub and just sits there. If I push Enter on mint13 at top of list it goes to a bunch of text and won't boot. I don't have mint17 on there anymore, I am dual booting with Windows XP. I understand that there might be an issue with the graphics drivers also but has not been a problem with mint17 or lxle which I had installed.

I didn't say I was unhappy with how it runs, it ran fine Live, better than anything else-and that's why I want to try and fix it. I don't know if I would have an issue with another install at this point ya know, and, I don't want to do another lol, I did four last night omg!

Tell me this, when I was installing...at the end of ext4, formatting and choosing root, home and swap...the installer reverts to highlight /dev/sda I believe, at the top. One time I left it there and installed, so I re-installed three times - every time I re-installed I chose/highlighted root / before clicking Install. I also Formatted root / and / home each time. What the heck am I doing wrong lol omg! fell like a dummy!
Thanks again pcpunk
Super Clean Runs Perfect
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

Have a look at this tutorial to make sure you're covering all of the necessary steps when using the "Something else" install method. Maybe you're forgetting to set the mount points? I don't know. If it doesn't appear that you're making any mistakes, double-check the md5sum of the ISO file to make sure it matches that shown on the download page. If nothing wrong with that, boot with live disk again, open a terminal and enter this command to list your computer's specs:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Copy/Paste the output back here for us to take a look at.

Lastly, take a look at any "Release Notes" for the version(s) you're trying to install and see if there is anything that applies to your machine. You'll find those on the download page too.

P.s.
If you still have Mint 13 installed (even if in unworking state), run this command in the terminal too so we can take a look at your partitions:

sudo parted -l
(Command ends in a lowercase letter "L".)

Copy/Paste that output here as well.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

gold_finger, that is an excellent tutorial! but, I did all that as shown in my reply above.

The iso was checked when downloaded, and downloaded another and checked again. Also re-installed again today with the same result.

How bout this instead: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LkxD ... wBZw1yilMO

Can't get into the terminal, os won't boot up at all.

Okay you asked for it plus more, hope I can figure out how to post a screenshot. Okay I was going to post a screenshot but it is to much trouble on this site!

Acer Specs Terminal Outcome

mint@mint ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: mint Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.6.3)
Desktop: KDE 4.8.3 (Qt 4.8.1) Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine: System: Acer (portable) product: Aspire 3000
Mobo: Acer model: Lugano M Bios: Acer version: 3A32 date: 02/20/06
CPU: Single core Mobile AMD Sempron 3100+ (-UP-) cache: 256 KB flags: (nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 1600.04 clocked at 800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.11.3 driver: vesa Resolution: 1024x768@61.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7012 AC'97 Sound Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: 1400 1c80 bus-ID: 00:02.7
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
Network: Card-1: Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller driver: b43-pci-bridge bus-ID: 00:0b.0
IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
Card-2: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet driver: sis900 port: 1800 bus-ID: 00:04.0
IF: eth0 state: unknown speed: 10 Mbps duplex: half mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 88.0GB (0.6% used) 1: /dev/sda WDC_WD800BEVE 80.0GB
2: USB /dev/sdb USB_Flash_Drive 8.0GB
Partition: ID: / size: 738M used: 180M (25%) fs: overlayfs ID: swap-1 size: 6.67GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
Info: Processes: 117 Uptime: 16 min Memory: 282.0/1474.9MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.6.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33
mint@mint ~ $

Partitions from Terminal

mint@mint ~ $ sudo parted -1
parted: invalid option -- '1'
Usage: parted [-hlmsv] [-a<align>] [DEVICE [COMMAND [PARAMETERS]]...]
mint@mint ~ $ sudo parted -l
Model: ATA WDC WD800BEVE-00 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 80.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.3kB 36.5GB 36.5GB primary fat32 boot, lba
2 36.5GB 54.9GB 18.4GB primary ext4
3 54.9GB 80.0GB 25.1GB extended
5 54.9GB 73.4GB 18.4GB logical ext4
6 73.4GB 80.0GB 6669MB logical linux-swap(v1)

Model: Lexar USB Flash Drive (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 8020MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 8020MB 8018MB primary fat32
Attachments
snapshot1.png
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

You didn't answer about what should be highlighted in the installer? I see in youtube stuff that root / should be highlighted when clicking Install on dual boots.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

pcpunk wrote:mint@mint ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: mint Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.6.3)
Desktop: KDE 4.8.3 (Qt 4.8.1) Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine: System: Acer (portable) product: Aspire 3000
Mobo: Acer model: Lugano M Bios: Acer version: 3A32 date: 02/20/06
CPU: Single core Mobile AMD Sempron 3100+ (-UP-) cache: 256 KB flags: (nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 1600.04 clocked at 800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.11.3 driver: vesa Resolution: 1024x768@61.0hz
SIS graphics cards have been the source of many problems before. Did a quick search using the engine in my signature line and found this post that seems to suggest you might be better off using the Mint 17.1 version instead of 13. Just food for thought.

pcpunk wrote:You didn't answer about what should be highlighted in the installer?
The tutorial I referenced is pretty clear on that. Highlight the partition you want for Root; click the "Change" button; "Use as" = Ext4; "Size" = keep as is; "Mount point" = /. Same steps for the Home partition, but mount point will be "/home". Your current Swap partition is a bit big. You may want to reduce that to 3GB instead of over 6GB as it is now. Incorporate the resulting free space into your Home partition. (If you decide to do that, do it from GParted in the live DVD before you start the installer.) "Device for boot loader installation" = /dev/sda.

Once you've set all of the partitions, you'll see the mount points show up next to their respective partitions (no mount point on Swap though). If you see that, then you're ready to finish the install. If the partition page just defaults to highlighting /dev/sda, that's fine. (I don't remember what it does.) Just because something is highlighted doesn't mean anything is going to be installed to there. The installer will direct installation to wherever you set the mount points. (Eg. If you just hightlighted the Root partition, but didn't set the mount point, then clicked to finish install -- it wouldn't work.)

P.s.
If you decide to change size of Swap partition, you'll need to right-click it and choose "Swapoff" in GParted before it will let you make any changes.

P.s.s.
If all else fails, and you don't mind having only a Root and Swap partition, you can delete all of your Linux partitions with GParted and leave that as unpartitioned space. Then run the installer and use "Along side Windows" option and it will automatically do everything for you in that free space.

catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catilley1092 »

I believe that what pcpunk is referring to the the broadcom b43 card is preventing boot, covered in the Release Notes for this distro.

The instructions he needs is how to get past that so he can blacklist it & then install the firmware after install.

Though in his case, one of the posters may be right, 17.1 was designed to work on old computers as well as newer ones. In fact, MATE 17.1 64 bit is my main OS, have ran it since the days it it was simply called the Main Edition, since Gloria.

Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009
catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catilley1092 »

I believe that what pcpunk is referring to the the broadcom b43 card is preventing boot, covered in the Release Notes for this distro.

The instructions he needs is how to get past that so he can blacklist it & then install the firmware after install.

Though in his case, one of the posters may be right, 17.1 was designed to work on old computers as well as newer ones. In fact, MATE 17.1 64 bit is my main OS, have ran it since the days it it was simply called the Main Edition, since Gloria.

Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

catilley1092 wrote:I believe that what pcpunk is referring to the the broadcom b43 card is preventing boot, covered in the Release Notes for this distro.
Thanks for pointing that out -- I did not realize that the Mint 13 release notes made a note of that. (Been a while since I've looked at them.) Since that doesn't appear to be an issue in the Mint 17 release notes, that's two reasons why Mint 17.1 may be a better choice for pcpunk.

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Okay guys, begrudgingly I might have to move to 17.1. In Mate17 I did not like the way the graphics or text looked, but will have to get something on there soon. I tried many and Mate13 was super crisp and everything worked perfect Live? don't get it?
Super Clean Runs Perfect
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

pcpunk,

If you've already tested Mate 13 and like how that one feels better than 17, then feel free to install it. The link I found about the SiS graphics card made me think that it may not perform well on 13, but I don't know that. If you're not experiencing any problems "live", then it's likely going to be fine when you install 13. As for the Broadcom issue, the release notes for 13 give solution and once you take care of it you don't need to worry about it anymore.

Don't feel like you must install 17. You have tested both 13 and 17 on your equipment -- we were just making best guesses (based on limited info we've read). If your tests show that 13 works best for you, install 13. There's nothing wrong with that and 13 is still supported for two more years before you need to worry about this again.

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

pcpunk wrote:Thanks gold_finger. I was able to install, but when I reboot it stalls out in Grub and just sits there. If I push Enter on mint13 at top of list it goes to a bunch of text and won't boot. I don't have mint17 on there anymore, I am dual booting with Windows XP. I understand that there might be an issue with the graphics drivers also but has not been a problem with mint17 or lxle which I had installed.

I didn't say I was unhappy with how it runs, it ran fine Live, better than anything else-and that's why I want to try and fix it. I don't know if I would have an issue with another install at this point ya know, and, I don't want to do another lol, I did four last night omg!

Thanks again pcpunk
gold_finger, I have installed four times I think. Three times with Mate13 and once with kde13. It boots then goes to Grub, then just sits there, if I push Enter to boot it, it goes to a bunch of text. I could post that but it would be difficult without a picture, and I don't have a digital camera. Once it did say this "could not write bytes, broken pipes" this is my spare pc, so at some point i will have to settle. I just don't know why this would not install when 17 would. They both have the issue with b43 drivers, so i'm guessing it is something else.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

Have you tried solution listed in the release notes?

When grub menu appears, hit "e" to edit.

Use arrow keys to navigate to the line that begins with "linux /boot/vmlinuz-...".

Position the cursor after "quiet splash" (near the end of the line).

Hit space bar, then type b43.blacklist=yes, then another space (if there is anything else on that line after what you typed in). For example, one of my computers has this at the end of that line: quiet splash vt_handoff. So the change I outlined would make it: quiet splash b43.blacklist=yes vt_handoff.

Hit F10 to boot after you make that change.

With any luck the computer will boot now. If not, then I don't know what else to recommend and you may have to settle for Mint 17 unless someone else knows a different solution.

If it does boot into Mint 13, make the change permanent by editing the /etc/default/grub file with your text editor as root. In Mate you can use this terminal command to do that:

gksu pluma /etc/default/grub
In the file that opens, go to this line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
And change it to this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash b43.blacklist=yes"
Save the file with that change, then close the text editor to get back to the terminal command prompt. (I'm not familiar with KDE, but I think the command to open this file would be kdesudo kate /etc/default/grub.)

Now, back in the terminal enter this command to install the needed drivers for your Broadcom wireless card:

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer
Reboot the computer after all of that and hopefully everything including the wireless works.

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

I've already done all that in mate17, so I understand what needs to be done there. The os should boot up, and then one would install b43firmware, but it won't boot. Compatability Mode does the same thing as blacklisting the b43 and I confirmed that it did so. Thanks for all the help though, if you see something that might help I'm all ears. You seem very kowlegable and you have helped me before but I think something else is wrong and not anything to do with b43firmware.

Could it be, that this distro needs to be connected to the internet in this situation, and for me, that would mean Ethernet, but I don't have this now. I searched this a bunch but nothing the same situation as me, similar but not the same.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

gold_finger, concerning this blacklist quote of yours. One does not need to do this when choosing Compatibility Mode right, so this won't help right? I looked while in compatibility mode and the b43.blacklist=yes was there:
I installed kde17.1 last night because I could not find an answer to all this. But I will still be looking for an answer as mate13 is what I want in there.

Was there any other info you wanted from that install?

One thing I did notice, the Tapping function on the mouse pad did not work in mate13.

After digging around I also noticed this Error came up once in a strange way.
Broken Pipes Error: Could not write bytes, broken pipes.
Then I did this:

1. Boot into recovery mode
2. Repair broken packages
3. Hit the continue boot button
4. Log in to the desktop
5. Reboot
6. Log in normally
Then it said "Fail" on "Loading fallback graphics devices"

I also got this on shutdown:
"SMB CIFS file and active directory server" "fail"
and: "1394 Could not aquire the org.freedesktop.ModemManager1" service name.

I also did memory tests and they were all good.

Thanks pcpunk
Super Clean Runs Perfect
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

pcpunk wrote:gold_finger, concerning this blacklist quote of yours. One does not need to do this when choosing Compatibility Mode right, so this won't help right? I looked while in compatibility mode and the b43.blacklist=yes was there:
I just took what was said in the release notes and made a step-by-step guide for you from that. I've never used nor examined compatibility mode myself, but my assumption was that it was essentially the same as adding "nomodeset" to the boot parameters. I would guess that the release notes would have just said to boot in compatibility mode if "b43.blacklist=yes" was included in that. (To me, that would make more sense and be easier for people to understand than going through the steps I outlined.) But you could be correct that "b43.blacklist=yes" is part of it -- I simply don't know that answer.

pcpunk wrote:Tapping function on the mouse pad did not work in mate13.
If you end up getting Mate 13 re-installed, make a separate post for that if it's not corrected somewhere in the mouse & touchpad settings area. I don't use Mate and don't know much about touchpad problems.

pcpunk wrote:Could it be, that this distro needs to be connected to the internet in this situation, and for me, that would mean Ethernet, but I don't have this now. I searched this a bunch but nothing the same situation as me, similar but not the same.
Maybe, but I'm not sure. You do need to be connected to the internet to install the b43 drivers, unless you've downloaded the deb packages to a USB for offline installation. Is that what you did?

Regarding your other errors -- I'm not sure what's causing them and I'm also not clear on which install attempt those happened on. If they were on your (no longer existing) Mate 13 install, hold off on those until you install it again. Then, if wireless issue gets solved and these errors still persist, we'll tackle them at that time. (Or, you may have some luck pluggin some of the exact phrases from the error messages into the search engine in my signature line.)

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

gold_finger wrote: Maybe, but I'm not sure. You do need to be connected to the internet to install the b43 drivers, unless you've downloaded the deb packages to a USB for offline installation. Is that what you did?

Regarding your other errors -- I'm not sure what's causing them and I'm also not clear on which install attempt those happened on. If they were on your (no longer existing) Mate 13 install, hold off on those until you install it again. Then, if wireless issue gets solved and these errors still persist, we'll tackle them at that time. (Or, you may have some luck pluggin some of the exact phrases from the error messages into the search engine in my signature line.)
Yes, I downloaded the deb packages to a usb for offline installation.

I did a bunch of searches here and google for those Errors and found nothing that pertained to me. I think it would be a simple fix but this acer does not play well with others. Not a lot of people own this pc, so it is hard to find info on it. And went ahead and installed kde17.1 for now. Thanks again pcpunk
Super Clean Runs Perfect
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

I don't know if you've seen this before, but maybe it will help: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ac ... %28300x%29. Looks like it may have solutions to touchpad/mouse problems and possibly improve performance of SiS graphics card. Worth a look I think.

Found that by plugging "Acer Aspire 3000" into the Linux Beginner Search Engine. There were quite a number of results that popped up but I don't have time to look through them all. Try it out yourself and see if any of those links have ideas you have not already tried.

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

gold_finger, that is all awesome my friend-thanks so much. I read most that stuff already but it keeps leading me to more stuff ya know. I have now assessed that this is a graphics issue as well as a wireless issue. The wireless is an easy fix, so now I have found the graphics info. here that I need, I think, lol. Funny that this was only needed in Mate13 and no others. I will post them if you are interested. I will be a while before I do this as I already installed kde17.1, we'll see. I just think that 13 will be faster and the graphics were so good, especially with the Text in Libre, and that is important to me.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=122257
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p997500
and a few other places but you get the idea, got my fingers crossed. Was also liking to have another distro around to help out others.
Super Clean Runs Perfect

Return to “Installation & Boot”