Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
africanlion
Level 3
Level 3

What version MINT is best for Dell Optiplex 320

Post by africanlion » Fri May 01, 2015 5:41 pm

Just got a tower without an OS on it and all i know is its a Dell Optiplex 320 and has a XP Professional sticker on it

Whats the best version of Mint for this please. Is it 32 or 64 bit i need download. Sticker says manufactured 2011

Thanks

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: What version MINT is best for Dell Optiplex 320

Post by exploder » Fri May 01, 2015 6:06 pm

That model came with various hardware configurations. We need some specs to go on. It could have anything from a P4 to a core 2 duo and anywhere from 500 MB to 4 GB of RAM from the spec sheet I read.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich » Fri May 01, 2015 6:07 pm

If it has less than 4 Gb of ram, go with the 32bit. If it has 4 Gb or more, go with the 64.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Fri May 01, 2015 6:21 pm

You can download several versions of Mint and "try before you buy." Download a version, burn it to DVD, then boot the computer with the DVD in the drive, and you'll be running Mint from the DVD. It will be a bit slower than when it's installed to the hard drive, but it will allow you to see if it supports all your hardware and so on.

Edit: also running 'inxi -Fxz' from console when running from the DVD will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about the hardware.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

africanlion
Level 3
Level 3

Post by africanlion » Mon May 04, 2015 4:40 pm

I have tried downloading the torrent for both Mint 13 and 17 and burning onto disk. when i load the disk into computer nothing happens. so i thought maybe its the dvds i am using so i saved it onto usb stick and still no lock

Could someone please tell me the right steps in case i am doing somethinh wrong. I have this working desktop and the other tower i am trying to instal Mint on. after downloading, how do i save onto usb to instal. Do i need anything else installed on the usb stick
secondly do i just restart the pc with the usb in and it automatically goes to install

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Mon May 04, 2015 5:36 pm

I've never booted a computer from USB, so I know nothing about that. But to boot from a CD/DVD, you have to set the boot order in the BIOS to CD first. Different computers have different methods to get into the BIOS, but usually you get there by hitting Delete or one of the Function keys before the boot sequence begins. When you've got it set to boot from the CD/DVD drive, just restart the computer and it will boot into the DVD "live" environment.

On most Dell computers, you hit F2 to get into the BIOS setup.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

africanlion
Level 3
Level 3

Post by africanlion » Mon May 04, 2015 6:59 pm

jimallyn wrote:I've never booted a computer from USB, so I know nothing about that. But to boot from a CD/DVD, you have to set the boot order in the BIOS to CD first. Different computers have different methods to get into the BIOS, but usually you get there by hitting Delete or one of the Function keys before the boot sequence begins. When you've got it set to boot from the CD/DVD drive, just restart the computer and it will boot into the DVD "live" environment.

On most Dell computers, you hit F2 to get into the BIOS setup.

The computer doesnt have an OS in it at the moment

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Mon May 04, 2015 7:02 pm

You don't need an OS to enter the BIOS setup program. Just hit F2 while it goes through the memory/disk check, and set the CD/DVD drive first in the boot order. Reboot the computer, and away you go.

africanlion
Level 3
Level 3

Post by africanlion » Mon May 04, 2015 7:35 pm

jimallyn wrote:You don't need an OS to enter the BIOS setup program. Just hit F2 while it goes through the memory/disk check, and set the CD/DVD drive first in the boot order. Reboot the computer, and away you go.
I have just tried that and this is what I am getting :cry:
http://s14.postimg.org/hoxdjhwao/20150504_002916.jpg

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Mon May 04, 2015 10:45 pm

Hmmm, I don't recognize that screen at all. Maybe you have to hit a different key to get into the BIOS on that computer? Try some of the Function keys.

waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo » Tue May 05, 2015 12:24 am

That screen means that you did not get to the BIOS. You need to be quicker in hitting the F2 key.

A program from killdisk.com was used to wipe the drive clean, and Killdisk leaves that little message on the drive to inform you of this fact.

africanlion
Level 3
Level 3

Post by africanlion » Tue May 05, 2015 7:15 am

waldo wrote:That screen means that you did not get to the BIOS. You need to be quicker in hitting the F2 key.

A program from killdisk.com was used to wipe the drive clean, and Killdisk leaves that little message on the drive to inform you of this fact.

That makes sense because the guy who sold me the tower said it had been wiped clean. So basically hit the f2 key and that should allow me to enter BIOS

africanlion
Level 3
Level 3

Post by africanlion » Tue May 05, 2015 8:57 am

If i wanted to instal Linux frm a usb stick, how would i go about it given i have a drive thats been wiped clean

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Tue May 05, 2015 9:19 am

I have my doubts that your particular computer will boot from usb given it's date of manufacture. I would get on another computer and burn a Live DVD at the slowest speed of course and try that. You already know how to set the computer to boot from the DVD-ROM drive and you would have a much greater chance of success in my opinion. I say this because my computer was made around the same time as yours and it will not boot from usb.

Something like this should work if you have to use a Windows PC to burn an iso to disk.

http://download.cnet.com/Free-ISO-Burne ... 60147.html

There is other software you can use and it can easily be found by doing a Google search. The one I linked to just happened to be the first one I came across. If you have access to a computer with Linux installed the software to do this is likely already present, most if not all burning software under Linux has this capability.

Another option would be to buy a Linux magazine that has a Live CD included. Once you have any operating you can download and burn anything you are interested in to disk. Your local public library might even have a book or magazine with a Live Disk that you could use to get started.

africanlion
Level 3
Level 3

Post by africanlion » Tue May 05, 2015 9:46 am

exploder wrote:I have my doubts that your particular computer will boot from usb given it's date of manufacture. I would get on another computer and burn a Live DVD at the slowest speed of course and try that. You already know how to set the computer to boot from the DVD-ROM drive and you would have a much greater chance of success in my opinion. I say this because my computer was made around the same time as yours and it will not boot from usb.

Something like this should work if you have to use a Windows PC to burn an iso to disk.

http://download.cnet.com/Free-ISO-Burne ... 60147.html

There is other software you can use and it can easily be found by doing a Google search. The one I linked to just happened to be the first one I came across. If you have access to a computer with Linux installed the software to do this is likely already present, most if not all burning software under Linux has this capability.

Another option would be to buy a Linux magazine that has a Live CD included. Once you have any operating you can download and burn anything you are interested in to disk. Your local public library might even have a book or magazine with a Live Disk that you could use to get started.

The discs i burned last night i was using windows burner. Is that any good for burning iso or it not meant to do that. Yeah i have a windows pc i can use. My main macine is actually running on linux Mint but the PSU stopped working so i had to go and get this second han tower to instal Linux on :cry: :cry: :cry:

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Tue May 05, 2015 9:55 am

They should be ok if the software burned it as an iso, other wise it just burned the raw file to disk. If you insert the disk in a running machine you should see a bunch of files if it was burned correctly. If the disk is good all you have to do is to make sure the DVD-ROM is set as the first boot devise in the BIOS and you should be all set. You can search on line for the key you need to press to get into the BIOS if you do not know what to press. It's usually esc, del, f2, it just depends on the manufacturer.

africanlion
Level 3
Level 3

Post by africanlion » Tue May 05, 2015 10:06 am

exploder wrote:They should be ok if the software burned it as an iso, other wise it just burned the raw file to disk. If you insert the disk in a running machine you should see a bunch of files if it was burned correctly. If the disk is good all you have to do is to make sure the DVD-ROM is set as the first boot devise in the BIOS and you should be all set. You can search on line for the key you need to press to get into the BIOS if you do not know what to press. It's usually esc, del, f2, it just depends on the manufacturer.

Thats thing thats worrying me, when i put the disk into my working Windows machine, nothing is happening. Just makes a sound and flashes to show the system is working but nothing comes up

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Tue May 05, 2015 10:08 am

Yeah but is the Windows machine set to boot from the DVD-ROM? When you are in Windows and insert the disk do you see the files on the disk in Windows explorer?

africanlion
Level 3
Level 3

Post by africanlion » Tue May 05, 2015 6:41 pm

Created another disc using imgburn and got further than before. However when trying to instal I get this screen saying corrupt kernel image

http://postimg.org/image/i4d3laou3/

Other things seem ok . I have tried compatibility mode no luck
http://postimg.org/image/d9cdrwjpl/

It will say auomatic reboot then to the screen saying corrupt kernel, what is going wrong?
http://postimg.org/image/eovwagj0p/

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk » Tue May 05, 2015 9:16 pm

I'm not sure about this but it seems as though you go a bad download. You can test this with a Hash checker that you can download for free many places like download.net etc. Then you need to get the md5sum hash from the source where you got the iso from. Hopefully from linuxmint.com, and if you did you must have a bad connection or something. http://download.cnet.com/MD5-SHA-Checks ... 11445.html
Or if you use Firefox learn how to use DownThemAll download manager extension free software. Go to your extensions and type it in, there is a hash checker built in. Also if you have a bad connection DTA will stop the download and re-start when the connection gets better. Really, this tool is indispensable try it.

Here you will see the md5sum here the sixth line down, this is how we verify that we got a good download. Lots of linux systems have it built in. http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=171
HP Series HST NN-104C Bussiness Notebook nx7400, KDE 17.1-64BIT
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB of RAM

Return to “Installation & Boot”