Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Wader8
Level 1
Level 1

New install will not boot on my Asus P9X79

Post by Wader8 »

Hello

Im not entirely new to linux i used it a few years ago, but that doesn't mean I know much about troubleshooting here, i know very little to none.

I have 500GB WD HDD with 6GB parition for the linux install and another NTFS storage partition for unrelated data. I do not want any swap partition.

The install is always successful but there is always an error (with the USB still in) grub it says "unsupported image type" and "failed to read header" "failed to load grub" and then another blank screen and another message "secure boot not enabled" and then the live version boot screen appears normally.

If without USB, then it goes straight into grub rescue.

The live from DVD version of the latest x64 rebecca is not working properly with desktop and mouse response, only 2 minutes in beginining im able to open icons and start menu after that the whole thing is unusable and only apps such as firefox will work (keyboard actions seem to work for desktop)

I normally boot win7 but that doesn't matter since I'm not doing any dual boot stuff as I will be swapping HDDs the old fashion way, this decision is FINAL.

Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: New install will not boot on my Asus P9X79

Post by Fornhamfred »

I assume that you do not mean 6gb for the Linux install?

Wader8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wader8 »

Okay I have solved the boot issue with the help over the IRC channel over a few hours today, and what I did wrong was that I selected the root install partition as the bootloader path. I thought setting it to the whole drive would mess up my NTFS partition #2 but I guess it's meant to be like this.

Finally installed and updated but there's another problem that kept bugging me is the unresponsive and freezing desktop. To which I finally found a workaround that made this thing actually usable, simply logging off and logging in again fixes the desktop problem for now.

I didn't even had Cinnamon enabled before it said Gnome, now I'm on actual Cinnamon and quite frankly I don't see the difference in desktop yet, but maybe that bug isn't here, i might report the workaround to the tracs if nobody else does.

My mobo was reported to "work perfectly" on Lisa, but only the Pro version of this mobo was tested with Rebecca according to the official thingy i found.

seeley
Level 7
Level 7

Post by seeley »

Hi Wader 8!
As Fornhamfred wrote, 6 GB is not enough for a root partition! You have a 500 GB hd! 15 GB - 20 GB should be possible and make sense.

Maybe you'll find a hint on my help (-> signature).
seeley @ Linux multiboot

Return to “Installation & Boot”