Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
joejac
Level 1
Level 1

Not able to boot, stopped in Booting the kernel, Help please

Post by joejac »

Hello,
After one year using LMDE 1, I am pleased with LMDE 1. But today I was not able to boot, it stopped in "Booting the kernel." 3 times I turned off/on the machine and same problem. Then I went to the second boot option: "recovery mode" and it booted after some warnings that I could not read, too fast.

It seems to me that my files are good, so my questions:
1. can I reboot and enter into normal mode now?,
2. how can I know that LMDE 1 was really recovered?,
3. will I have more problems in the future?,
4. are there any limitations, working in recovery mode?
5. are there any tests that I can do to ensure LMDE 1 is well and healthy?
6. Is there any link to the documentation on recovery mode?
7. How can I prevent this problem in the future?

Sorry for so many questions, but I got scared. Please take into account I am not a Linux expert, I appreciate details or tutorials.

Recovery mode is a blessing.
Thanks a lot in advance,
joejac

Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Not able to boot, stopped in Booting the kernel, Help pl

Post by Fornhamfred »

Cannot answer your questions but as LMDE 1 is nearing the end of life why not follow these instructions and update to lmde2

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2832

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

Then I went to the second boot option: "recovery mode" and it booted after some warnings that I could not read, too fast.
Just booting to "recovery mode" - should be called "single" mode, which is the boot parameter - doesn't do anything except let you login to a basic/non-GUI environment.

Boot into recovery mode, login and try

Code: Select all

dmesg | more
Hit carriage returns to see more; look for errors; it's a big file.

Or upgrade to #2, but probably best to find/fix whatever's wrong.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

joejac
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joejac »

Thank you all for your kind answers.
I would like to wait until LMDE 2 is more mature.
The other issue is I am on "recovery mode" with full GUI, LMDE 1 with all Cinnamon menus, full functionality, I do not understand.
Best regards
joejac

Jeepty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jeepty »

joejac wrote:Hello,
After one year using LMDE 1, I am pleased with LMDE 1. But today I was not able to boot, it stopped in "Booting the kernel." 3 times I turned off/on the machine and same problem. Then I went to the second boot option: "recovery mode" and it booted after some warnings that I could not read, too fast.
joejac
If this happens again, I would boot into the grub menu and then boot into an older kernel, if you have one. If you're kernel has been upgraded at anytime in the last year then you probably have an old kernel still installed.

reboot computer, before the splash screen appears, hold (or tap) the shift button. This will boot into the grub menu. You probably know this already, since you are booting into recovery. :D . from there look for another linux image with a smaller kernel number to boot into (that does not say recovery). You may need to press e on the various options to find out what the actual kernel versions are, just look for the second largest kernel number, and boot to that one. This should get you back into your standard system so that you can fix what ever is wrong.

If you think it is your current kernel causing the problem, you could open synaptic package manager, look for your current kernel-image number, and mark for reinstallation, then reboot.

I believe that when you boot to recovery, you have options to go to command line or boot into your standard kernel. So you may be booting into normal mint from the recovery window... Which makes me wonder why it boot successfully from there and not from a normal reboot. :?

joejac
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joejac »

Hello,

As you know my LMDE 1 was recovered by itself.
I post after all these days been working with no other problem.
What can I say?, I am very impressed with the stability of LMDE 1.
Unfortunately, like I said in another post, I do not like systemd (virus like).
I hope Devuan people are able to do a nice fork of Debian without viruses nor spyware, and Mint LMDE take the chance with Devuan, and LMDE will shine again. I really like LMDE 1, yes indeed.
I installed LMDE 1 one year ago after I read this review, I am very happy with it :D
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linu ... 01403.html
Best regards
joejac

Return to “Installation & Boot”