Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kenneth1
Level 1
Level 1

Review of LMDE 2

Post by Kenneth1 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:12 pm

I originally was using LMDE and was quite satisfied, but I wanted to try the new version, so I backed everything up and made an install DVD, specifically LMDE Mate.
One of the things I really hoped would be improved on is the installer. I like LMDE better, because I advocate getting away from Ubuntu packages, however I
always thought the installer on LMDE was quite inferior to the standard mint. One of the main shortcomings of LMDE is that it didn't allow for installing
on more than one hard driver. For example someone with an SSD and a standard HD. Well, I didn't get past the first screen where you set up your account, computer
name and password. Every time I hit "continue" the cursor turns to busy and it fails to continue. I thought ok, maybe my DVD is bad. To make it fair, I tried the Cinnamon version and made a new install DVD. I went through the exact same process and got to the exact same screen, same result. Ok as a control I used my standard mint DVD, and it installed flawlessly. I wanted to evaluate the new LMDE, but couldn't get past the basics. Before the LMDE team conscripts everyone into dumping LMDE 1 by saying "you must switch by January" because we're at the end of life, then perhaps you should make sure serious flaws such as this are repaired. Installation is a very very basic function. I don't expect perfection, but I do expect the installer to work properly. Please do one of two things. 1) fix LMDE 2 or 2) postpone the End of life for LMDE 1

Distro-Don
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Review of LMDE 2

Post by Distro-Don » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:18 pm

I have an SSD and also a regular HD. I installed LMDE-2 (Betsy-2) and the installer preformed flawlessly.
Attachments
Screenshot--dev-sda - GParted.png
Screenshot--dev-sdb - GParted.png

Kenneth1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kenneth1 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:15 am

I believe you. The screen you are showing, never appeared because the one directly in front of it (where you pick a password, username, etc) caused
the live dvd to time out. Believe me, I gave it time (10min). As a control, I pulled out my Mint 17.1 dvd and it worked flawlessly. I'm reporting my experience
with LMDE2, not trying to challenge the veracity of whether it works. I plan to wait a bit until I am sure this is fixed, then I will try again. Till then I still have a working Mint PC

Distro-Don
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Distro-Don » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:13 pm

Did you check the md5sum? You might have a bad download.

Kenneth1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kenneth1 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:56 pm

Distro-Don wrote:Did you check the md5sum? You might have a bad download.
Yes. In addition I also made both a cinnamon and a mate version from two separate download sources.. Both freeze at precisely the same action.

Return to “Installation & Boot”