Kernel panic while booting after kernel update...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Kernel panic while booting after kernel update...

Post by hoppel »

Hi,

I just made a fresh installation of Felicia on my parents computer, enabled all sources in /etc/apt/sources.list and installed all updates. This brought me a kernel number of ***.11 instead of ***.7 which has been the default one. Unfortunately the computer now refuses to boot with that new kernel (while it still works with the default one). I get the error message:

Code: Select all

starting up - kernel panic - not syncing: vfs: unable to mount root fs on unknown block"
I'd like to know, whether this is a general problem with that specific kernel - so I would have to downgrade - or whether there might be a problem which I can solve otherwise. I remember that I got some error messages during the installation process, so maybe there's a external problem not related to that kernel...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bLe

Re: Kernel panic while booting after kernel update...

Post by bLe »

hi ,
i have the same problem ...

cu
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

You guys may wish to roll back to the default kernel. It is always risky when enabling the Level 4 and 5 packages. Unless there is a specific feature you absolutely and positively must have in the new kernel, sticking with the default is most likely your best bet. Good luck.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

No doubt. Just edit the menu.lst file and remove the new kernel so it's out of site/out of mind.

Return to “Installation & Boot”