Linux Mint 17.2 , installed with UEFI secure boot Enabled!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint 17.2 , installed with UEFI secure boot Enabled!

Post by linxmintq »

Personal narrative!

Note:

What is written in this thread, stays under its own responsibility. I am not responsible for anything, take your own precautions.

After months of investigation in Internet, finally I could install in clean Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.2 of 64 bits, on a laptop "Asus" that brought from manufactures 8.1 windows 64-bit OEM acquired a few months ago.

The annoying restrictions of windows to which its users use freely the system, and the annoying advertising applications that were installed the factory somewhere in the partitioning of the HDD, it was tremendously uncomfortable, hanging the pages that are normally visit as youtube with the IE browser , or pages with the Firefox browser by saying that it is not valid security certificate.

WHAT I DID WAS:

1. I found out well on the characteristics and the license of the ProduKey of the system that was bringing installed from factory the laptop with windows 8.1 OEM of 64 bits.

2. I did a backup of the system windows 8.1, which the laptop was bringing installed from factory, in order to recover the original values of the system, if in case will fail the laptop when trying to install another system.

3. Download the Live image ISO Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bits, severe with the application "Rufus" on a USB stick, previously I found out on the correct configuration of Rufus.

4. Once taxed the Live ISO image on the USB memory, restart the PC with USB inserted and rapidly entering the UEFI/BIOS that is activated by default the secure boot, , and with the sufficient permissions to be able to move the fireware device (USB) first of all and can boot the computer from the USB and test Live ISO.

5. When it gave error or the screen stayed in black, the UEFI/BIOS was not properly configured, or was not prepared to move forward with secure boot enabled.

UPDATE the UEFI/BIOS:

6. I found out well in Internet, and update the UEFI/BIOS properly to the most recent version, , and this way I did not run any risk with the laptop.

7. Updated the UEFI/BIOS. I proceeded with the numeral 4 previously said, and began walking the test of the Live ISO , until he came to the desktop.

8. As I wanted to install Linux Mint cleanly only one system. I proceeded in automatic so that the system installs only one system, and proceed to create the partitions automatically the HDD, and format everything what existed in the HDD. And proceeded to the boot partition boot/efi.

Images of Linux Mint with UEFI secure boot in activated:
EFU.jpg
UFE.jpg
Image of the partitioning of windows 8.1, before installing Linux Mint:
win1.jpg
Last edited by linxmintq on Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kataclysm
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 17.2 , installed with UEFI secure boot Enable

Post by kataclysm »

It's good to know that it's possible to install Mint 17.2 without having to turn off Secure boot. I had to turn it off to install mine and everything is fine now, but your success sounds like progress. Hopefully in the future, people won't have to adjust things in the BIOS at all before installing Mint--it will be as easy as it is on the old-style, non-UEFI computers now.

linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 17.2 , installed with UEFI secure boot Enable

Post by linxmintq »

kataclysm wrote:It's good to know that it's possible to install Mint 17.2 without having to turn off Secure boot. I had to turn it off to install mine and everything is fine now, but your success sounds like progress. Hopefully in the future, people won't have to adjust things in the BIOS at all before installing Mint--it will be as easy as it is on the old-style, non-UEFI computers now.
Thanks for your comments, here there are many skeptical people, despite that they see the results, still continue to believe that Linux Mint cannot be installed with the secure boot enabled in the UEFI.
But the images are forceful, and nobody can deny the results that if it is possible to install Linux Mint with the secure boot activated by defect in the UEFI, and it works perfectly.

The contradictions of Linux Mint:

From the Linux Mint 17.2 Release Notes:
UEFI is fully supported.
Note: Linux Mint does not use digital signatures and does not register to be certified by Microsoft as being a "secure" OS. As such, it will not boot with SecureBoot. If your system is using SecureBoot, turn it off.

As such, it will not boot with SecureBoot. If your system is using SecureBoot ?

1. I have installed Linux Mint with secure boot enabled in the UEFI, so there is no need to turn it off the UEFI, without the digital signature of the certificate in support for Linux Mint, could not be installing Linux Mint with secure boot enabled in the UEFI, therefore, there are contradictions of Linux Mint.

2. The UEFI with secure boot activated, detects the Live ISO image that are corrupt, and not allowed to pass the initial GRUB, leaving the black screen or simply gives an error.

OBSERVATION:

3. The UEFI with secure boot enabled by default, it has a better system performance, the partitions of the HDD are GPT and not in MBR of the BIOS.

Greetings community!

3lud13
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 17.2 , installed with UEFI secure boot Enabled!

Post by 3lud13 »

Wondering if you can help me out as it sounds like you have had success.
Have just recieved one of these x205ta laptops and wanting to put mint 18 on it trying to get it to boot from usb is driving me crazy I have searched mountains of posts tried thousands of different setting from using different programs and setings to create my usb to different bios settings both 32 ND 64 bit isos and still having no luck getting to boot from usb still not found any settings that work and there seems to be many contradictory answers

dnaatwork
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 17.2 , installed with UEFI secure boot Enabled!

Post by dnaatwork »

I just figured out how to add Wifi (Network) to make it working.

All that needs to be done is:

sudo cp /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/nvram-74b00bd9-805a-4d61-b51f-43268123d113 /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43340-sdio.txt
sudo modprobe -v -r brcmfmac
sudo modprobe -v brcmfmac

This is from these instructions:
wordpress.com/stats/day
https://github.com/lopaka/instructions/ ... -x205ta.md (incase link breaks)

Return to “Installation & Boot”