Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
normpot
Level 1
Level 1

Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade impact on my dual boot PC

Post by normpot » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:12 pm

Hello all, I presently use Win7 Pro and installed Linux Mint 17.1 dual boot last year in my Optiplex 380 Dell Desktop, no problems so far.
Recently Windows is pushing for a mandatory unified W10 OS upgrade to obtain future windows updates.
I have no any BIOS option (Dell Bios A01) to disable UEFI secure boot option in my computer's bios menu.
Q: If i upgrade to Windows10, from W7 do I loose my current Linux Grub boot menu i.e. will Windows 10 bootloader replace my dual boot linux grub menu and loose access to Linux?
if so, do I need to disable UEFI from Windows 10 advanced options after W10 installation and re-install Linux Mint from scratch and put dual grub bootloader into "sda" (MBR) as usual?
Thanks for your advice, Norm.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade impact on my dual boot PC

Post by Pierre » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:07 am

If you upgrade to Windows10, from W7 you will loose the current Linux Grub boot menu.
- it's an in-place upgrade, that will overwrite the grub boot loader. ..

after the upgrade - reboot with the Linux Live_disk and restore the grub_loader.
- using boot repair:
http://mintguide.org/tools/37-restore-g ... ndows.html
or using the terminal:
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... wont-boot/
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

normpot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by normpot » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:39 pm

Thanks for the advice, I will try live cd/usb and console sudo grub commands to repair the grub as suggested.
I guess I have also to disable Win 10 UEFI secure boot option from Win 10. I don't have such disable option in my PC bios menu .
Hopefully my linux boot CD or USB boots devices are recognized/permitted and they kick in before HDD Win 10 bootloader. I already arranged the boot sequence in that fashion.
In case I will image (backup) the entire computer including MBR with Acronis if something goes wrong, to restore my original Mint17.1 + win 7 combo.
Q: alternatively can I try to restore back the image of my current grub bootloader MBR (with Acronis) to replace the new Win10 MBR bootloader instead of sudo grub repair commands?
Thank you, Norm.

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:57 am

You would do best to wait a few days before doing the Win10 upgrade. Folks on the Windows 10 forums are reporting LOTS of failed updates, with very few reported successes. It make take MS a few days to get the update sorted out so that it works well.

EviL_GaMer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EviL_GaMer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:13 am

Did you already upgrade? If you did, mind posting the results?
My Box: Linux Mint 17 Qiana Cinammon

normpot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by normpot » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:55 am

I did not upgrade to Win 10 yet, still using Win 7 + LM 17.1, a satisfactory combo. I will keep it as long as Win 7 updates are not phased out by Microsoft.
I will not upgrade to Win 10 until I fully understand/resolve linux grub dual boot restoration procedures- replaced with Win 10 boot loader after Win 10 upgrade.
Thank you all for your advice, Norm.

Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Penn » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:40 pm

I just watched someone upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10. It required multiple restarts and each time he had to select Windows 7 bootloader from GRUB. I was watching to see when that would change and it never did. Even after 10 was installed it still said the 7 bootloader but choosing that option now boots 10. This is good news for the Linux users that hate Microsoft with a passion. In the past these upgrades, including the one I did with a preview version of 10, would always replace GRUB with the Windows MBR.

If the GRUB wan't replaced fast enough apparently you ran the risk of your entire system would run out the door and go on a multi-state crime spree. I've never seen this personally but the many Windows haters can confirm this.

Okay, back to being serious - if you install 10 as an upgrade from the update manager in the old Windows your GRUB will be left intact. However, if you have UEFI it might reset the settings in BIOS to the default so you will have to hit whatever key to enter the BIOS/UEFI settings to restore the boot order and disable secure boot to access GRUB on startup again.

If you use a CD to do a "clean install" of 10 it will replace the GRUB.

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:47 pm

If you use a CD to do a "clean install" of 10 it will replace the GRUB.
Couple of comments on this ...

1)CD -- You can't use a CD since Win10 is far too large to fit on a CD; instead, you must use a DVD.

2) You can't do a clean-install using the Win10 DVD to a machine that has not previously run Win10; instead, the DVD can only be used to upgrade an existing installation of Win7/8/8.1. If you force an install of Win10 to such a machine, while it will install, it will NOT activate.

Folks have been mislead to believe that MS is giving out free copies of Win10. It's not! It's giving out free UPGRADES to Win10.

EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EdQld » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:56 pm

I have a dual boot Aer AIO PC with Win 8.1 & Mint 17.1 and I just completed the Win 10 upgrade on it, took approx one hour to complete and on the first of several reboots Grub showed up and I needed to select Win to boot it. On subsequent reboots there was no Grub option and it just reboots into windows

After completing the process Win 10 was installed and working OK (Note: it reactivated the "Fast Startup" option I had deactivated under Win 8.1), BUT on reboots GRUB has disappeared
and so I will need to go through the earlier suggested options of returning Grub to the MBR

checking the BIOS "Secure Boot" remains disabled

Interesting, on bootup > F12 > Boot Menu, giives "Ubuntu" as an option and when selected boots, my Mint 17.2 install

EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EdQld » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:46 am

From Mint I installed and ran the "Boot-repair" program, which failed and tells me that now there is no Grub installed and of course the previous ability to load Mint via F12 Boot Menu is also now broken :(

kukamuumuka
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kukamuumuka » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:59 am

EdQld wrote:From Mint I installed and ran the "Boot-repair" program, which failed and tells me that now there is no Grub installed and of course the previous ability to load Mint via F12 Boot Menu is also now broken :(
Windows 10 upgrade destroys linux!
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=201496

EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EdQld » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:47 am

Hi administrollaattori,

Checked out the first link you provided, but I don't think the Mint partition was destroyed because after the Win 10 Upgrade there was no Grub option but using F12 to go to the Boot Menu I was able to boot Mint from there and it was fully functional

Unfortunately the "Boot-repair" program failed to restore Grub (I have used this in the past with success) and Grub was now totally removed, so that the Boot Menu option now did not exist either :(

I tried the Terminal commands you gave to reinstall Grub but these failed and produced an error message

Thanks for your suggestions though, appreciate any attempts to help :)

banjoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by banjoman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:03 am

My Windows10 update has arrived and I want to upgrade the Windows section of my Dual Boot Sony Vaio Laptop. It gets through to preparing - I have to be inattendance at a reboot because my default OS is Linux Mint. However even though I select Windows at reboot the upgrade stops and reverts to previous Windows7.

I have tried to install grub-customizer, but for some reason cannot access software sources to add the ppa. There is a manual way of changing boot order in the grub config file on this forum, but I think it applies to previous versions of grub - it certainly doesn't work for me!

So - if I manage to change the boot order will the Windows update go ahead? And how can I change the boot order? I'm not too worried about losing Linux because I can always re-install on my Linux partition if necessary (at least that is fairly straightforward!)

kukamuumuka
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kukamuumuka » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:44 am

banjoman wrote: So - if I manage to change the boot order will the Windows update go ahead? And how can I change the boot order? I'm not too worried about losing Linux because I can always re-install on my Linux partition if necessary (at least that is fairly straightforward!)
For backupping the workable boot menu and linux, I would backup the master boot record (MBR).

Code: Select all

sudo blkid | grep sd[a,b,c,d,e]
.... if output is /dev/sda

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=MBRbackup.img bs=512 count=1
This backup is good to copy to the windows partition also.. :wink:

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:47 am

I had a standard dual-boot on an SSD using MBR format and BIOS booting (not UEFI). Win7 + Mint 17.2.
I upgraded Win7 to Win10 using a DVD and all went smoothly and Grub was still in the MBR afterwards.
The menu entry for Win10 continues to be called "Windows 7" by Grub despite running "update-grub".

If you have a dual boot where Grub is on a separate disk to Windows then Windows won't upgrade (fails with "Something went wrong") unless you set your BIOS to boot the Windows disk first, obviously using the standard MBR boot code on the Windows disk instead of Grub. After the install, you can set the BIOS to boot the Grub disk again.

I do not use UEFI booting or GPT formatting on any of my PCs so I cannot comment on this scenario.

jahid
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jahid » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:49 am

Just finished upgrading from windows 8.1 to 10. The upgrade process didn't affect the grub menu.

But I am a little skeptical about this type of upgrade in windows. So I found my updated windows 10 key after the upgrade from 8.1 to 10, then done a clean install (with bootable pendrive). It required me to recover my grub menu as always.

I used boot repair disk to recover the grub.
jahid@HP ProBook 440 G1 Laptop

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:16 am

mintybits wrote:
If you have a dual boot where Grub is on a separate disk to Windows then Windows won't upgrade (fails with "Something went wrong") unless you set your BIOS to boot the Windows disk first
, obviously using the standard MBR boot code on the Windows disk instead of Grub. After the install, you can set the BIOS to boot the Grub disk again.

Hi mintybits,
This is a very good point.
I experienced this once.

banjoman wrote: I have tried to install grub-customizer, but for some reason cannot access software sources to add the ppa. There is a manual way of changing boot order in the grub config file on this forum, but I think it applies to previous versions of grub - it certainly doesn't work for me!

So - if I manage to change the boot order will the Windows update go ahead?

And how can I change the boot order?
Hi banjoman,
I never used grub-customizer so no comment.

I can tell you how I did, in a few upgrades, in order to get into Win10 automatically boot and continue to upgrade without myself having to watch and set each reboot, I would do these two:

1. Set the Win 7 drive to the first boot drive, this is necessary if I have more than one hard disks in the computer. If you have only one hard disk then this would not matter.

2. Install EasyBCD on Win7, and set it to control MBR.

This is better then to use grub2 to control MBR.. if you choose this method, you need to keep looking over the monitor and select booting to 'Win7' from grub2 start menu.
I'm not too worried about losing Linux because I can always re-install on my Linux partition if necessary (at least that is fairly straightforward!)
Good, this makes thing much easier.
Let Win10 fully upgrade ( automatic reboot and continue, several times, unattended).
When Win10 is fully operational, reinstall grub, or just reinstall Linux.

banjoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by banjoman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:53 am

:D

Thanks for that advice. I can't quite see how to get easyBCD to control the MBR. When I reboot the grub menu still comes up and Linux Mint is the first entry.

I can't see any references to Linux in the EasyBCD program window, presumabmy that's because it is looking at the MBR, but how do I get that to operate at bootup and not grub?

Thanks....

EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EdQld » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:56 am

Hi Guys, frustrating stuff :-)

I tried running "Boot-repair" again in Live USB Mint, which asked me to run Terminal commands, the last command resulting in this Error:

mint@mint ~ $ sudo chroot "/mnt" apt-get install -y --force-yes grub-efi-amd64-signed shim-signed linux-signed-generic

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
linux-signed-generic : Depends: linux-headers-generic (= 3.13.0.61.68) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Stopping Boot-repair produces “GRUB reinstallation has been cancelled.
sda6 is now without GRUB.”

Yep, No Grub on sda6, how the hell do I get grub onto sda6?

The rEFIND program might even work if Grub was on sda6, Win & Live USB Mint load OK with it :-(

"sudo update-grub" produces:
"sudo: unable to resolve host mint
Update-grub: command not found"

as does "sudo /usr/sbin/update-grub"

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:12 am

banjoman wrote::D

Thanks for that advice. I can't quite see how to get easyBCD to control the MBR. When I reboot the grub menu still comes up and Linux Mint is the first entry.

I can't see any references to Linux in the EasyBCD program window, presumabmy that's because it is looking at the MBR, but how do I get that to operate at bootup and not grub?

Thanks....

go to the link

https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/basic ... ootsector/

and get to 'Writing the MBR"

Return to “Installation & Boot”