Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
crboone
Level 1
Level 1

The Dreaded "Preparing to Install" Spinwheel - Stuck

Post by crboone »

So I'm attempting a new dual-boot installation with Linux Mint 17.2 via USB stick ISO. I'm sitting here, stuck on the "Preparing to install Linux Mint" screen with the spinning wheel and it won't proceed beyond this point. Both items are checked (indicating I have enough drive space and an internet connection). I've unplugged all of my USB peripherals in case that might have been a problem. I also attempted to install Mint 17.1 with the same results (though I've successfully installed 17.1 previously). BUT -- I'm able to install Xubuntu with no problem.

I searched on the internet and found quite a few posts where people were stuck on this screen (for Mint or Ubuntu), but none of them seem to have a clear resolution. So this is at least somewhat common but there's no idea what causes it. What is happening behind-the-scenes during this early part of the process that would cause the installation to lock with a spinwheel? Especially on a PC that installed 17.1 previously (but now can't) and on which I can currently install Xubuntu? I really wanted to use Mint but it just won't install. Any ideas? Disclaimer: I'm sure it's something simple that I'm missing. :)
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Re: The Dreaded "Preparing to Install" Spinwheel - Stuck

Post by kukamuumuka »

Before installing open Terminal and run top and see what happens during the installation.
ajcardiac
Level 4
Level 4

Re: The Dreaded "Preparing to Install" Spinwheel - Stuck

Post by ajcardiac »

If you don't have much RAM, try disabling the Ubiquity Slide Show before installing.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ls-halfway

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-*
Linux Mint 17.2/17.1 ISO Seeder.
Primary rig: Mint 17.2 Cinnamon / Win 8.1 / Win 10 Insider
Secondary rig: Mint 17.2 Cinnamon / Win Vista / Win 10 Insider
Test rig: Mint 17.2 Cinnamon / 17.2 Mate / 17.1 Xfce / 17.1 KDE / Win Vista / Win 10 Insider

Return to “Installation & Boot”