upgrading my dual drive dell xps9000 with dual HDs

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JohnLL
Level 3
Level 3

upgrading my dual drive dell xps9000 with dual HDs

Post by JohnLL »

I did an Win 10 update on my laptop which was running only win8. It went smooth with no problems. I tried it on my Gateway dual boot win7 and Mint 17 and win 10 won't install. This is just a test computer so I am quite willing to completely reinstall my win 7, upgrade to 10 then repartition and install as dual boot Mint 17 -- no big deal as anything I want off has been saved.

My main computer is a Dell Studio XPS9000. Drive 1 has win 7. Drive 2 has Linux Mint. I can tell the bios to boot into drive 1 or drive 2 and I have chosen drive 2 (Mint) as my main computer HD. Before I attempt to install win 10 on my drive 1 will it affect my drive 2 and my ability to boot into drive 2 without hassle? My wife has already stated she does not want me to 'mess up' what she uses when she gets on the computer.

Thanks

John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Re: upgrading my dual drive dell xps9000 with dual HDs

Post by z31fanatic »

Are you trying to do clean install or just upgrade from 7 on drive 1?
JohnLL
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JohnLL »

Upgrade drive 1 to win 10.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

It should be no problem. On one of my machines, I had 8.1 on one drive and Mint 17.1 on the other.
Did the upgrade on the windows drive and nothing changed with the Mint drive. Grub is still there on the Mint drive.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

JohnLL wrote:
My main computer is a Dell Studio XPS9000. Drive 1 has win 7. Drive 2 has Linux Mint. I can tell the bios to boot into drive 1 or drive 2 and I have chosen drive 2 (Mint) as my main computer HD. Before I attempt to install win 10 on my drive 1 will it affect my drive 2 and my ability to boot into drive 2 without hassle? My wife has already stated she does not want me to 'mess up' what she uses when she gets on the computer.

Thanks

John
1. Set your bios to boot from Win7 drive, or drive 1.
2. reboot to be sure it boots to Win7, without you to select from boot menu.
3. then upgrade win7 to win10, it should automatically upgrade and during the process reboot several times and continue without your attendance.
4. when Win10 is fully working,
then set the bios back to boot from Drive 2.
test that it is able to boot OS in Drive 2, if necessary do a update-grub.
JohnLL
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JohnLL »

I forgot to thank those that replied. I did the upgrade on my drive 1 to win 10 and haven't touched it since. Worked ok. Now I'll see what kind of mess I make when trying to upgrade my version 17.2 to 17.3.

Return to “Installation & Boot”