Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

(SOLVED) UEFI Dual Boot PC - Grub issues after Win10 Upgrade

Post by EdQld »

I have a dual boot Acer AIO PC with Win 8.1 & Mint 17.2 and I just completed the Win 10 upgrade on it, took approx one hour to complete and on the first of several reboots, Grub showed up and I needed to select Win to boot it and continue. On subsequent reboots there was no Grub option and it just reboots into windows

After completing the process Win 10 was installed and working OK (Note: it reactivated the "Fast Startup" option I had deactivated under Win 8.1), BUT on reboots GRUB has disappeared.

On checking the BIOS "Secure Boot" still remains disabled

Interestingly, on bootup > F12 > Boot Menu, gives "Ubuntu" as an option and when selected boots my Mint 17.2 install, which functions normally, But after running "Boot-repair" this option vanished and Grub still gone!

I tried several terminal commands (as suggested) via a Live USB Mint, but they all failed with error message "command not found" eg:
sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda
sudo umount /mnt

and the following commands produced"
mint@mint ~ $ sudo blkid
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sda1: LABEL="RECOVERY" UUID="80F60E9BF60E9218" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda2: LABEL="ESP" UUID="6C10-9A6A" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sda4: LABEL="Acer" UUID="6E5671255670EF69" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda5: LABEL="DATA" UUID="7EE41641E415FBD9" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda6: UUID="f62300dc-334d-41c7-940b-87b221447453" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda7: UUID="34224145-5fb7-4816-a8f1-5ab181d57311" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sda8: LABEL="Push Button Reset" UUID="9AA21ABDA21A9E37" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="LINUX MINT" UUID="2C43-4A81" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sdc1: LABEL="EDUSB" UUID="9CAF-78C3" TYPE="vfat"

mint@mint ~ $ df -Th
Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/cow overlayfs 1.9G 143M 1.8G 8% /
udev devtmpfs 1.9G 8.0K 1.9G 1% /dev
tmpfs tmpfs 385M 1.5M 383M 1% /run
/dev/sdb1 vfat 7.5G 1.6G 5.9G 22% /cdrom
/dev/loop0 squashfs 1.6G 1.6G 0 100% /rofs
none tmpfs 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs tmpfs 1.9G 408K 1.9G 1% /tmp
none tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none tmpfs 1.9G 76K 1.9G 1% /run/shm
none tmpfs 100M 44K 100M 1% /run/user
/dev/sda6 ext4 72G 56G 13G 83% /mnt
/dev/sdc1 vfat 7.5G 896K 7.5G 1% /media/mint/EDUSB

Next I tried rEFind Boot Manager, but that only got:
"Boot EFT/ubuntu/grubx64.efi from ESP
Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB Lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible devices or file completions.
grub>_"

Finally I tried Super Grub2, failed with Rufus but success after burning to DVD and booted my Mint installation (yep, it's still there), so I have access back to my Mint install, but the terminal command "sudo grub-install /dev/sda" unfortunately produced the same error message as previously "command not found" - tearing out my hair!

This problem just won't go away :(
Last edited by EdQld on Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

JOPETA
Level 16
Level 16

Re: UEFI Dual Boot PC - Grub issues after Win10 Upgrade

Post by JOPETA »

EdQld wrote:"Ubuntu" as an option and when selected boots my Mint 17.2 install, which functions normally, But after running "Boot-repair" this option vanished and Grub still gone!
There must be two Ubuntu options when pressing F12. Maybe your are running in UEFI Compatible mode (so legacy) and that is why REefind fails, Boot Repair fails and you could boot Super Grub2 DVD but codes fail again (see below).

Be sure UEFI is enable (only UEFI not UEF/CSM or UEFI+Legacy) and CSM is disable(if it is your case), then try to boot first Ubuntu option in F12 menu. When in Mint open a terminal and type sudo update-grub. If you can't boot Mint try again REefind or Boor Reapair CD/USB.
EdQld wrote:I tried several terminal commands (as suggested) via a Live USB Mint, but they all failed with error message "command not found" eg:

Al those codes are not for GPT disk or UEFI systems. Look the correct ones you can try, if any, here (you will need to replace EFI with ESP in text and sda5 with sda6 in codes).

PS: Edited to clarify maybe this superfluous comment (when in Pjotr's web talk about UEFI or EFI are talking about your labeled ESP partition) and correct (it is obvious sda7 is not your Mint's root), but my astigmatic eyes and tired vision mess-up lines when working w/o glasses.
Last edited by JOPETA on Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr »

Looks like you're not the only one with similar issues.

There was a write-up just a few days ago on another site with instructions how to fix this exact problem. (YMMV - I haven't tried it myself, since I'm not dual-booting anything where I'll install Win 10)

Check out this link, and let us know if it helps? http://itsfoss.com/no-grub-windows-linux/

EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EdQld »

I have been using UEFI, not legacy BIOS

The link provided looked very encouraging and I used the Terminal for the commands stated there, No error reports while using these commands, could this really be the solution :shock:

Now my Root partition was sda6 and the boot partiton sda2 (ESP was part of the info, as well as the Boot flag & FAT32)

Time for reboot, Alas, rEFIND (previously already loaded on this PC in one of many attempts to solve the problem) again presented the Win & Ubuntu icons, with the Ubuntu failing to Boot Mint and ending in a GRUB _ blinking cursor :cry:

It all looked so promising!

I'm not sure what you meant by replacing efi with ESP? I did try that in the mnt option, but that just produced an error that it did not exist

Thanks a lot for your help, any other suggestions?

JOPETA
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JOPETA »

First, sorry I've edited my last to clarify this superfluous comment (when in Pjotr's web talk about UEFI or EFI are talking about your labeled ESP partition) and correct (it is obvious sda7 is not your Mint's root), but my astigmatic eyes and tired vision mess-up lines when working w/o glasses. :roll:
EdQld wrote:"Boot EFT/ubuntu/grubx64.efi from ESP
Sure it is a typo but confirm it is EFI/... and not EFT/

Last, thought you could solve this problem reinstalling grub-efi-amd64 so I don't want to waste your time trying things (as editing EFI/ubuntu/grub.cfg file to check if root UUID correspond with your root...). Maybe you only need to re-ŕegrister you UEFI Ubuntu option from inside W10 and/or try W10 bcdedit solution ralplpcr's proposing. If this doesn't work, consider reinstalling Mint. Good luck :wink:
Last edited by JOPETA on Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

(SOLVED) UEFI Dual Boot PC - Grub issues after Win10 Upgrade

Post by EdQld »

Successful in Repairing UEFI PC Grub Failure :D

May Need to install rEFIND Boot Loader first (via F12 “Boot Menu” or Live USB Mint) - may not be necessary, but I installed it during the LONG process of finding a solution!
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/
Use A binary Debian package , If you use an x86-64 version of Debian, Ubuntu or Mint
* This method worked on the Acer AIO PC

NOTE: Super Grub2 Bootable Disk was able to access my Mint Install while Grub was out

THEN (per Stiggy, Whirpool Forum):
Ok, so it appears that the grub configuration files are still not right. Therefore, you can use the grub-mkconfig command to set them up automatically. The whole process would be :-
Boot Mint Live CD and start Terminal and enter the following commands:-

sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt
sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot/efi
for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
modprobe efivars
sudo chroot /mnt
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
sudo reboot

Success :D

Thanks to all that offered help, much appreciated :wink:

ADDIT

I just did my Wife's Dual Boot HP AIO Upgrade to Win 10 and I had none of the drama I had with the Acer, it went smoothly and did Not wipe out Grub!

The only difference has been that I installed rEFIND Boot Manager on the Mint 17.2 install before upgrading, so that may have had a protective effect?

Return to “Installation & Boot”