Root password in Linux Mint 13 "Maya" - Xfce (32-bit)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kuman
Level 1
Level 1

Root password in Linux Mint 13 "Maya" - Xfce (32-bit)

Post by kuman »

When in recovery mode it prompts me to submit it then I get 'invalid password' many times upon entering it. Is there any way to recover or change it?
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Root password in Linux Mint 13 "Maya" - Xfce (32-bit)

Post by Mute Ant »

There's no mechanism to recover passwords, all you can do is change them. GRUB will let you enter boot arguments rw init=/bin/bash to get to a root console and set one...
http://www.faqforge.com/linux/reset-roo ... ithout-cd/
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
kuman
Level 1
Level 1

(initramfs)

Post by kuman »

Upon rebooting instead of getting me to a command line it loads all the drivers & then goes to (initramfs) prompt in BusyBox v1.18.5
kuman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kuman »

administrollaattori, did u have this in mind?
ty

'here is one more idea, but I say beforehand, that I do not believe, that this will work. But sometimes things are really weird and this does cost less than a minute:
Open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all
su

When you are asked for a password, enter the original (given during installation, not the new!) password. In case this should get accepted, do nothing else than pressing ctrl-D and tell us. As said, I do not have great hope, but it is worth the few seconds to try.
If it does not work, you might try to switch with above described method to a US-keyboard-layout (in this case you accept of course the selected layout). Close the old terminal window and open a new one and try it again.'
kuman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kuman »

administrollaattori, did u have this in mind?
ty

'here is one more idea, but I say beforehand, that I do not believe, that this will work. But sometimes things are really weird and this does cost less than a minute:
Open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all
su

When you are asked for a password, enter the original (given during installation, not the new!) password. In case this should get accepted, do nothing else than pressing ctrl-D and tell us. As said, I do not have great hope, but it is worth the few seconds to try.
If it does not work, you might try to switch with above described method to a US-keyboard-layout (in this case you accept of course the selected layout). Close the old terminal window and open a new one and try it again.'

Return to “Installation & Boot”