How about a tutorial for installing 17.2 on UEFI?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

How about a tutorial for installing 17.2 on UEFI?

Post by jimallyn » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:46 am

I understand that Mint 17.2 is more UEFI friendly than previous versions, but I don't know exactly what that means. Does that mean it's as easy to install 17.2 on UEFI as it is to install on BIOS? Perhaps somebody could write a detailed procedure for installing 17.2 on UEFI?

Some background on why I ask: A good friend of mine is a Christian missionary in Nicaragua. He has been using Linux for a number of years, but he will be the first to tell you that he is not a techie. A computer is simply an appliance to him. He was recently stateside, and I updated his old laptop from Ubuntu 13.04 to Mint Cinnamon 17.1. Then the board of directors for his missions decided to give him a new laptop, which has Windows 8.x on it. My friend really doesn't want to use Windows. He does plan on leaving Windows 8.x on the computer, just in case he ever needs it, but hopes to avoid ever actually using it. He's a pastor, and he feels as a pastor, he has to set a good example. So he really wants Mint on his new laptop. It looks like I am going to have to talk him through installing Mint 17.2 on his new laptop, but I have never done an install on UEFI, and I do not presently own a computer with UEFI to learn on. So, I need detailed instructions so that I can talk him through it either over the phone, or possibly by email. Maybe somebody could write a detailed "how-to" for this? Or point me to one on the forums or somewhere else on the web? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Re: How about a tutorial for installing 17.2 on UEFI?

Post by Pierre » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:58 am

one option for your Friend,
- since they want to keep win - but not use it.

pull the original HDD - put it in a drawer, for safe keeping.

install a new HDD - they are cheap enough, now
- install LinuxMint onto that new HDD.

use Gparted - to pre-partition it - first.
- then use the something else option in the Mint installer.

BTW: he wouldn't be the First Pastor - to have moral issue with using a Microsoft Windows Product.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:09 am

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:19 am

Pierre wrote:BTW: he wouldn't be the First Pastor - to have moral issue with using a Microsoft Windows Product.
The pastor at my church also uses Linux, and some of the church's computers run Linux.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:23 pm

wayne128, I think the page you linked to is for earlier versions of Mint/Ubuntu, like 17.0 or 17.1. If I understand correctly from the release notes, ("UEFI is fully supported") 17.2 has new features that make it easier to install on UEFI. So I am looking for information specifically for installing Mint 17.2 on UEFI.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:44 pm

jimallyn wrote:wayne128, I think the page you linked to is for earlier versions of Mint/Ubuntu, like 17.0 or 17.1. If I understand correctly from the release notes, ("UEFI is fully supported") 17.2 has new features that make it easier to install on UEFI. So I am looking for information specifically for installing Mint 17.2 on UEFI.
As far as I can see, the installation procedure remains the same.... Secure Boot still needs to be disabled:
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rafaela_xfce.php

The improvements for UEFI support "only" fix some technical bugs of Grub, which don't influence the installation procedure as such. So there's no need for me to change the installation how-to on my website.... :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:39 pm

Thanks for your responses. I will have to study that tutorial closely and hopefully I will be able to talk my friend through it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”