Proprietary drivers with an older kernel

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thorx89

Proprietary drivers with an older kernel

Post by thorx89 »

Hello everybody. I'm currently running Linux Mint Felicia on my Acer 5520G. (upgraded from Elyssa using the upgrade tool)
Everything works fine except for these two things: the webcam (cheese freezes when I try to record) & the suspend-hibernation features which used to work on Elyssa. I have heard that the not working of the latter may be connected to the latest kernel (2.6.27-9) so I would like to return to the old one (2.6.24.16), however, I can't seem to get the nvidia driver working with it again.
I've tried several ways to boot, re-installed both the 173 and 177 version of the driver but it always fails to load it.

Any ideas how to do this? Suspend/hibernation is quite important for me. Thx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Proprietary drivers with an older kernel

Post by Husse »

I have a feeling that the xorg in Felicia (7.4) may not be compatible with the 2.6.24 kernel
You will get a definite answer shortly (I hope)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have a feeling that the xorg in Felicia (7.4) may not be compatible with the 2.6.24 kernel
Husse, is right. I have seen these same problems posted on the Ubuntu forum. I have seen where people are using an earlier version of the kernel to solve this problem and the main problem is with the restricted modules. The restricted modules are supposed to be updated to address these problems but who knows when we will see the updated package. A possible but risky solution might be to enable the proposed repo and see what is available there. Before taking any risks, look in Launchpad to see how this issue is progressing. Launchpad would be the best bet because someone has most likely come up with a solution but it has not made it into the main repos yet.
thorx89

Post by thorx89 »

THX for replies.
I guess I'll wait for the next kernel hoping it'll improve.

Return to “Installation & Boot”