Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
electroken
Level 1
Level 1

Live dvd needs more apps

Post by electroken »

I had an issue with somehow deleting my partition of my linux installation. I tried to boot up using the live dvd so I could use some of the apps on the dvd to help me rescue my deleted partition and was happy to find gparted on the list of applications.\
I thought my rescue would be easy to do now, but the people who put gparted on the disk left out the part of gparted called gpart and i could not recover my drive using that application. Why leave out an important part of gparted that would have made my task simple?

I had to go to another installation I had on another computer and install gparted on that system and then also install gpart so that I would have the total gparted tools to recover my drive. I was able then to use that computer to boot up in linux and use gparted to examine and recover my drive. It took me a lot of trouble to do that when it would have been easy as pie if the gparted on the live dvd would have had gpart included in the application.

Is there perhaps a live dvd with all the tools necessary to do this sort of thing? I have looked into finding a live dvd I could use for such purposes but the ones I have tried including some similar to ultimate boot disk (which runs on linux but it used in pc world) also do not have this tool. I think the windows version could have worked but we all know that microsoft will not let a windows os "see" a linux disk. Ahh, if we could all just get along I could have solved my problem that way.

Perhaps someone will address the issue and make a live disk which will have the tools we need to use for correcting our failures in a much easier manner.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Live dvd needs more apps

Post by Fred Barclay »

If you can connect to the internet with the first machine, you could have installed gpart in the live disk by

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gpart
There's also the GParted Live disk for next time. :) I suppose it contains the gpart tool, but it's been a bit since I've used it.
Last edited by Fred Barclay on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
electroken
Level 1
Level 1

Post by electroken »

I know that several of the magazines have put out disks with what they call tool kits, but they are really lacking a comprehensive set of applications which could be used to solves some of our most pressing issues with our installation failures. I find a lack of anything to correct boot errors which seem to occur after trying to install linux alonside of a windows os etc.
Maybe there is such a disk and even having to pay to get a copy is something perhaps a lot of us might do if it actually could boot up as a live cd/dvd and come up with tools to do these things. I have tried about 10 of them so far and most are windows based and help very little with a linux install since windows will not acknowledge we exist at all.
If any of you know of a source of such a disk I would appreciate hearing about it. Like I said in my first post, I have tried the ultimate boot disk, tool kits from several magazines, and purchased several others such as geek squad tools etc. All seem to lack data recovery at basic levels such as partition restore from an accidental deletion of the partition. Perhaps that is too extreme to recover, but I am not so sure. I know that accidental format of the partition is not as serious a problem as it only deletes part of the headers etc.

I am only trying to make it better for the beginner who uses the live dvd to fix errors he might inflict on his system by providing more tools to help him on the live dvd.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

One more thing: Did you try PartedMagic?

It sounds like what you're suggesting is out of the scope of the Linux Mint project, but would make for a fun weekend of hacking. ;)

EDIT: Forgot to specify in my first post that you can install gpart in the live disk with the command I listed. I've edited it now.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

electroken wrote:Perhaps someone will address the issue and make a live disk which will have the tools we need to use for correcting our failures in a much easier manner.
They already have ... check out the System Rescue CD.

Return to “Installation & Boot”