Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kmott
Level 1
Level 1

Triple Boot - Win7 - Mint - WinServer

Post by kmott » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:34 pm

I have read a bit on triple boot and the theme tends to follow install Windows OSs then install Linux.

I have already setup a duel boot with Windows 7 and Mint on SEPERATE disks and everything is running fine. My Windows HDD is about 1Tb so I have plenty of space and want to start playing with Windows Server and want to fully utilize my hardware which is why I didn't want to use a VM. I recently got things the way I want them - so it would not be a huge loss if I have to rebuild since I have everything backed-up and ready to go - I would just rather not deal with it.

Should I just suck it up and use a VM? Will installing another Windows OS on my Windows HDD screw with the bootloader and prevent me from seeing my Linux HDD? Any thoughts, guidance or tips would be appreciated.

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Triple Boot - Win7 - Mint - WinServer

Post by wayne128 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:06 pm

kmott wrote:Should I just suck it up and use a VM?
I think it is upto you.
I do not use VM so not much comment
Will installing another Windows OS on my Windows HDD screw with the bootloader and prevent me from seeing my Linux HDD?

In a msdos/legacy system, installing Windows OS on existing HDD will usually have Windows OS taking over MBR.

Since you have a two HDDs, you have two MBRs, so you need to know which MBR is controlling the boot process.

If you wish to have less trouble, you could just unplug the Linux HDD, then install second Windows OS onto the Windows HDD, this method would protect Linux HDD from being overwritten.

After second Windows OS installation is complete, plug the Linux HDD back in, set bios to boot from Linux HDD and do a update-grub to add new Win OS into grub boot menu.

Return to “Installation & Boot”