Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kuman
Level 1
Level 1

Save my files

Post by kuman »

Can I save my files in my user name folder before I reinstall Linux Mint?
Last edited by killer de bug on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thanks for using plain english. b4 is not a word. This is not your smart phone :)
Try'n 2 Learn
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Save my files

Post by Try'n 2 Learn »

i believe a fresh install will clear and empty everything from all files/Dir to an untrained eye. the information will likely still remain on the disk hidden somewhere, until the disk needs the space again and over-writes it. so i guess i would say, save the files to some portable medium.
Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol »

Try'n 2 Learn wrote:so i guess i would say, save the files to some portable medium.
^ This. I don't believe LM has install features to preserve user data. I may be wrong though..
Donate to your favourite distros!
Try'n 2 Learn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Try'n 2 Learn »

Chiefahol wrote:
Try'n 2 Learn wrote:so i guess i would say, save the files to some portable medium.
^ This. I don't believe LM has install features to preserve user data. I may be wrong though..
even then, why risk your files on even an upgrade, much less a fresh install. idk,
maybe Kuman has gigs upon gigs upon gigs to back-up.
kuman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kuman »

Try'n 2 Learn wrote:i believe a fresh install will clear and empty everything from all files/Dir to an untrained eye. the information will likely still remain on the disk hidden somewhere, until the disk needs the space again and over-writes it. so i guess i would say, save the files to some portable medium.

If u look at my other newer topic u'll see I can't access my files as my LM is down & I'm trying to recover it ... Is there any way to do it while in DOS?

In case I can't save them, can I recover them with a file recovery app?
Try'n 2 Learn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Try'n 2 Learn »

boy i really stepped into it this time, :) . i guess i would say you need some type of DOS file program manager right? what would that be.... like uh.... midnight commander or something like that? this is all really over my head for understanding. you have some good help, in fact, better help than me, on your other thread.

so whats is your present issue with not being able to boot your mint install? your hard drive died? or grub is scrambled, do we know anything?
kuman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kuman »

Try'n 2 Learn wrote:boy i really stepped into it this time, :) . i guess i would say you need some type of DOS file program manager right? what would that be.... like uh.... midnight commander or something like that? this is all really over my head for understanding. you have some good help, in fact, better help than me, on your other thread.
so whats is your present issue with not being able to boot your mint install? your hard drive died? or grub is scrambled, do we know anything?
E/t is on my other thread. I cant really go beyond the recovery menu ..
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

kuman wrote:Can I save my files in my user name folder b4 I reinstall Linux Mint?
Yes -- assuming that your main problem is just that something got messed up on the system and not that your hard drive has failed.

Just use the live Mint DVD/USB that you used to install with (or any other version you have laying around) and boot the computer with that. Then just open the file manager when you're booted up and look for your hard drive partition that contains the files you need to save. Mount the partition by clicking on it in the file manager, find your files and copy/paste to a USB.

When done copying, go ahead and re-install. You might want to consider making a separate partition for your /home on the new install. (Eg. A partition for root, "/"; one for "/home"; and one for "Swap".) That way if you ever run into this situation again you can just reinstall without formatting the "/home" partition and you'll have a fresh install of the system that still has everything you had in /home still in tact.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Did you create a separate /home directory when you first installed Mint ?
kuman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kuman »

richyrich wrote:Did you create a separate /home directory when you first installed Mint ?
unfortunately I haven't. meanwhile I opted for Mageia 5, it's small & I'll try how it works. I booted up with the usb stick, now I'm at partitioning. not sure only if I can save my files from LM when @ it :?

Return to “Installation & Boot”