Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

Mint won't boot off a DVD at all ***[SOLVED]***

Post by mogplus8 »

Hi all,
I used to play with Linux a lot years ago, then Win7 came along and I stuck with that. Now I've got Win10 installed and I'm back to looking at Linux. Not that I have anything against Win10, I'm sure it will become a terrific OS one day...
In the mean time I downloaded Mint and burned it to a DVD (using CDBurnerXP Pro). Put the DVD in my optical drive and booted. First of all a couple of messages came up saying SRST failed with errno -16. Then "unable to find a medium containing a live file system". Then it stops as it is waiting for input from me. I typed "help" and sure enough, a list of commands was displayed. The only thing I know how to do now is take the DVD out of the drive and ctrl/alt/del to reboot back into Win10 (which doesn't seem to have any problems). I've tried this with Ubuntu 14.10 and 14.03 as well with the exact same problem.
I've searched the forums and while there are many mentions of both these problems, there doesn't seem to be any definitive solution. There is some reference to faulty sata drives, but Win10 works fine, so I don't see how that could be the case here. Should I try booting from USB?
My hardware is an ancient and venerable AMD Athlon dual processor 3600+, 6 Gb ram, Gigabyte GT610 graphics card (brand new as Win10 didn't like my old one).
All advice gratefully received.
Attachments
screenshot of where Mint gets up to (taken with my phone...)
screenshot of where Mint gets up to (taken with my phone...)
Last edited by mogplus8 on Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Mint won't boot off a DVD at all

Post by kukamuumuka »

If you have raid mode on in the bios-settings, change it to the ahci mode.

mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogplus8 »

Thanks for the quick response administrollaattori, I checked the bios and the drive was already set to AHCI, not RAID (never used RAID).
;-)

mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogplus8 »

PS. I also tried booting off a USB but that didn't work at all. The boot options I have in the bios for USB are FDD, ZIP, HDD and CDROM. I thought it would be ZIP but that just gave me a boot error, so did HDD. FDD did nothing and the PC booted normally into windows. Haven't tried CDROM as I thought that would almost certainly not work. The bios is Award Modular Bios V6 (yes... very old). I used the Universal USB Installer 1.9.6.1 from Pendrivelinux to create the USB.
Thanks, Ian

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr »

There are 4 possibilities I can think of off the top of my head which could be causing your issues. While I can't tell you exactly what it'll take to fix it, the things I'd suggest checking:

1. Have you verified the MD5 checksum of the ISO you downloaded? If your download was corrupted, it could definitely cause your DVD to not boot up properly. Any USB that was created from that DVD would also exhibit the same corruption. Suggest you try booting it in a different machine if possible to see if it works on that machine, or if it's just a problem with your hardware.

2. Your optical drive could be going bad. It unfortunately happens sometimes, and it's not always immediately obvious. Are you able to boot any other DVDs from the drive? I'm assuming you've verified that you can read DVDs from within Windows, but if you have any other DVD from which you can boot (like a Windows start disk, or another Linux distro) it could help point to the cause.

3. Your optical drive could be incompatible with Linux. Although they're not common, there are optical drives out there that are built as "Windows drives", and rely on certain APIs within the M$ operating system to function properly - - these are mostly from OEM systems, used as a cost-saving measure. If that's the case, there's not much else to do other than use a different drive from which to boot & install. It's unlikely, but if it's an original drive from an OEM, you may want to try using a USB optical to try & boot from it instead.

4. Your BIOs doesn't support booting from DVD. Again, if you can boot from any other DVD, you're good here... but with an older system, it's possible that your system only boots CDs.

I'd definitely start with trying to boot your DVD on a different computer first. Corrupted downloads are the easiest to fix, and is the most likely culprit for your issue. If that doesn't work, then it's a process of elimination to figure out what's going on with your boot errors....

mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogplus8 »

Thanks for the tips Ralplpcr.
I checked the MD5 sum, it checked out correctly.
Tried booting the DVD on my partner's even older PC, it didn't get as far as it did on mine. Just got the first splash page, then a colourful row of dots along the top, then it hung.
I then tried it on her laptop and it booted correctly, no problem at all, so the disk is okay.
So... it's gotta be my hardware. :(
I don't think it could be no 4, seems to me if that was the case it wouldn't even get to the splash screen if it couldn't read the media. Or maybe it would, confused do I know, I'm no hardware guru.
It won't boot from a USB either, but the USB is okay, it will boot in my partner's laptop too.
So it's definitely my hardware! bios AND optical drive by the look of it... :( :( :(
I've got another DVD drive I can try, but I don't know its vintage. I guess I can also try upgrading the bios, although I know that's a process fraught with danger.
The joys of computing...
;-) Ian

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr »

What version of Mint are you trying to use? Cinnamon does require a fairly modern PC, though I have successfully gotten it to boot on a 10 year old system running an old Intel P4.... how long did you wait before deciding that it was "hung"? Was there any activity at all (hdd or optical drive) going on? I know with that old PC, it took a good 5 or 6 minutes before I could see anything on-screen.... but then again, I didn't get the HW errors you did.

You may want to try the XFCE edition of Mint. Recommend you try the 32bit version, as that's probably the most lightweight of the Mints, and should have better chances of working with older hardware. Remember, it *will* run a good bit slower from CD/DVD than it will from a HDD... but the first step is getting it to boot.

If that doesn't work either, then I'm thinking it sounds like your optical drive. If you have a USB DVD drive (or can borrow a USB/SATA converter and have a spare drive laying around), I'd give that a try.

mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogplus8 »

Well I got Mint to boot! I had to use a USB hard drive I had lying around, and I used the Universal USB writer from Pendrivelinux to write Mint to the hard drive. Set my bios to USB-HDD, and it worked! I still get the SRST return code -16 error, which from further reading is apparently related to my SATA drive (my main drive with Win10 on it).
I still can't boot from DVD, which I would like to do so I will continue working on that, but at least it's no longer urgent.
Thanks to all those who offered advice and help, much appreciated.
Regards,
Ian

mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogplus8 »

What a frustrating time.

I have now tried many different distros, and not one will boot off the DVD. I've tried Mint 17.2 (64bit and 32 bit, my PC is 64 bit), mint 17.1 and Mint 13. Debian Live 8.2, Debian full 8.2 and Debian Netinst 8.2. Mageia 5 Live, Ubuntu 15.04, 14.10 and 14.04 and Fedora Live (latest version, not sure of the number). I've tried creating the DVDs with different programs, Imgburn and CDburnerXP.

I have another old PC that will boot Mint 17.2 off the DVD, so the disk is okay.

I always get SRST failed errno=-16 with all the distros, otherwise the reasons for failure tend to be different. Debian was the most specific, it told me it couldn't find /mnt/cdrom, even though it had just loaded itself from the DVD. ls /mnt revealed that there was indeed no directory called cdrom, nor anything like it. Mint couldn't find a live file system, so maybe the same problem in a different guise. Can't remember what the others did...

I tried replacing the DVD drive with a known working one, but to no avail, still nothing would boot.

I've looked in every possible place in the BIOS to see if there is something there that would make things work. I found a setting for the DVD drive where I could select (from memory...) auto, lba, chs, and large. Tried them all but still the same result every time.

Interestingly, my Windows 10 recover DVD has no problem booting...

As I mentioned above I finally got Mint to boot by writing the ISO to a USB hard drive using the Universal USB writer from PenDriveLinux. But then it flatly refused to install... No specific error, just "failed to proceed", as Rolls Royce used to say about their cars that had broken down. I was trying to install it onto an old IDE 40G drive still lurking around in my PC, and I set the access method to ext4. On a whim I tried ext3 and it installed correctly and runs. I'm using it now. But it takes forever to boot, at least five minutes. I installed the bootloader onto the 40G drive too, but the PC boots off my main drive (sata, and the source of the SRST error apparently) which has the Windows bootloader on it. I have an entry on that that boots from the 40G drive which then boots Mint. Bit long winded but I get there in the end.

One bright point in the whole sorry saga is that one of the programs that I use a lot on Windows has a Linux version! I thought I was going to have to install Wine, but no! And it works a treat. (opentx-companion, in case you were wondering)

Now I'm looking forward to using Linux a lot more. I like the interface, I like the lack of clutter and I like the security! And despite the SRST error I have no problem accessing my Windows drive.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H, Processor is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual processor 3600+, Disk is an ATA ST340016A (the one Mint is installed on), the sata drive is ATA ST3250620AS. 6Gb memory. This is all according to hardinfo. Couldn't find an entry for the DVD drive, it's a bog standard LG, that's all I can tell you.

I'd really like the bootup to be faster, if anybody has any suggestions...

Thanks to all who have posted replies,
Ian

mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint won't boot off a DVD at all ***(SOLVED)***

Post by mogplus8 »

Yep, you read right. I finally bit the bullet and removed my 40Gb IDE hard drive and replaced it with a 160Gb IDE drive from an old computer. Booted from my USB HDD........ and NO SRST errno=-16 error!!! Tried booting from my DVD and Mint works, so does Mageia. The others probably will too, but I haven't tried them.
All this time I figured it must have been a software problem, when it was a dud disk drive all the time.
:-) Happy camper now...

eianbro
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint won't boot off a DVD at all ***[SOLVED]***

Post by eianbro »

I often get the "SRST Failed (Errno=-16)" error message when booting Lubuntu 14.04 on my 6-year old Acer Aspire 5630 laptop. My hard disk probably is beginning to show signs of wear and tear, but this error often occurs after a new kernel has been installed using Software Updater. By selecting a previous kernel from "Advanced Options for Ubuntu" in Grub 2, I can almost always boot successfully. I have saved kernel 3-13-0-57 generic as it was trouble-free.The present kernel 3-13-0-66 generic is particularly troublesome in this respect.

Return to “Installation & Boot”