Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sprdave
Level 1
Level 1

Windows 10 not detected, Mint 17.2

Post by sprdave »

Im pretty new to this, I installed Mint on a 5 year old desktop with Vista a little while ago and got through.

Im now trying to install on my newish HP laptop (750GB HD, 4GB ram). I first upgraded Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and installed the cumulative update. I shrunk the partition in Windows to create 200GB of free space for Mint. I installed Mint 17.2 iso on a USB drive. Disabled Secureboot in BIOS (pic). Restarted using f9 brought up boot menu to boot from USB (pic). Booted okay and ran installer, but it says no detected operating systems (pic). So try "Something else" and brings up partitions.

What do I do with this to get it to install along Windows??

Im thinking 20GB for Mint and 4GB swap, rest for files (I know probably overkill but the drive is way more than I need)
Attachments
not detected.jpg
boot menu.jpg
BIOS.jpg
sprdave
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Windows 10 not detected, Mint 17.2

Post by sprdave »

Partitions after selecting "something else":
Attachments
partitions.jpg
Ruthless
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ruthless »

Hi,

I'm having the same issue, hopefully someone will post the answer soon.

My setup is as follows both hard drives are as follows:
Mobo: MSI X99A Gaming 7 (latest bios)
Both HDD below are GPT
1 x PCIe 512GB - Windows 10
1 x SSD 250GB - unallocated ready for LM17.2

Did you manage to resolve your issues sprdave?
cogier
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cogier »

This installation is not straight forward. You need to switch off fast boot in Windows 10 for a start. Have a look at this page http://www.bytelinux.com/install-linux- ... i-systems/. You can ignore the instructions regarding uefi. If Windows 10 has created 4 Primary partitions you will need to create an Extended partition and create new partitions to install Linux (uefi does not suffer from this restriction).

Make sure you have backed up everything!
JOPETA
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JOPETA »

There's nothing wrong in your last image. Go on mounting EFI partition (click on sda2 EFI>change>mount as... , etc, as per this link or the one cogier proposed. Only if problems appear after doing so, cancel installation and disable fast start-up in Windows setting, if you didn't before.

@cogier

It is a GPT disk no 4 partition limits, nor primary, extended or logical partitions as in MBR disks.
Last edited by JOPETA on Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
cogier
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cogier »

Jopeta. Thanks for the correction. If anybody else wants to understand this issue this link should help.http://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-t ... g-a-drive/
sprdave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sprdave »

So I finally got around to this again.

I disabled fast boot in Windows. I ran the installer and set up the partitions with 20GB/5GB/175GB. And selected sda2 under device for bootloader. Install was uneventful, except that it pops up that the video is running in software rendering.

So I edited grub2 so that it defaults to windows with a shorter delay, and booted in Mint and windows a couple times. Later changed the time in the BIOS, and after that it just boots straight to windows, grrr. If I bring up the boot manager on my laptop (f9), it shows ubuntu as an option. If I select that instead of OS boot manager, it then goes to Grub menu and can boot to Mint from there. Which is what Im typing this in.

So now Im lost on both issues, although it sort of works :)
JOPETA
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JOPETA »

sprdave wrote:except that it pops up that the video is running in software rendering.
That's because the graphic controller. Check recommended driver in Menu>Administration> Driver manager and install it.

In other hand, if you want your dual boot with GRUB open a terminal, copy and paste following codes

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo update-grub
And last, if you want to avoid (as possible) Widows changing your UEFI boot order every time you boot Windoze, keep Secure Boot disabled.
Shunjoss
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Shunjoss »

Same problem here, i've done the same install that i done before with windows 7 and 8.1 (working dual boot).
But i've no entries for windows 10 on the grub2 menu for my dual boot install.
I can only login to my mint cinnamon 17.2 64bit, yet.

Edit : now it works thanks (JOPETA's help) to the

sudo apt-get update
sudo update-grub
command (after a full update of mint 17.2 by these one

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
)
I have 3 entries for windows 8 loader (witch is windows 10) and windows 10 works now, this surprise me because i already done the

sudo apt-get update
sudo update-grub
before.
Linux mint is awesome.

Return to “Installation & Boot”