Installation freezes

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Installation freezes

Post by RamBurner »

Computer: Compaq Presario SR5450F
Pentium Dual Core 2.00 GHz
2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
Integrated video Nvidia GeForce 7100

Have attempted installing 17.2 Cinnamon x86 and 64 bit many times from both USB and DVD. It always freezes during installation.
I have used "Compatibility Mode" as well and it still freezes during installation.
The ISO images I'm using for both the USB and DVD work fine on other installations, passes MD5 as well.

I just installed Windows 7 32 bit on it with no problem.

Any solutions for this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: Installation freezes

Post by seeley »

Hi!
Could you please give us some more detail - what do see on screen? Something displayed?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Open in the live system synaptic and remove the package ubiquity-slideshow-mint.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

I will see if removing slide show works. There is nothing to see on screen, it freezes.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

Unfortunately removing the slideshow didn't help. It still does a complete freeze on installation.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

At which point does it freeze? Do you get all dialogs at the beginning and do you see the slide show afterwards?

If it freezes, can you quit the installer or what do you have to do for getting forward?
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

It freezes after it has done the copying of files and has installed many files and is getting close to the end of the installation.
There is nothing that can be done at that point besides holding in the power button to shut it down.
It does not freeze at the same point every time.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I admit, that I am out of ideas. Does the computer gets hot, when you install?
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

I just got Mint 17.2 to install and it was in an unexpected way. I did a Force PAE and it installed. This was not expected on a E2180 Core 2 Duo. But it worked :mrgreen:
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Good finding. :idea: I was always in the assumption, that with hardware, which needs the PAE option, the live system would not boot at all. (I do not have such hardware, so I could not test it.) So your feedback is especially interesting.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

I'm still getting some random hard freezes, but I'm thinking it is a video problem as on the boot up when the desktop spreads into view it stutters. I may throw a video card in it and see if that solves it.
Hahaha, this was a machine that was given to me to refurbish so I can do my thing and donate it to a person that needs a computer but can't afford one.
I knew the old hard drive was toast and replaced it with a good one I had, but man this one has been a nightmare...woof :shock:
chemikul30

Post by chemikul30 »

I had same issue. Mint doesn't play well with NVidia GeForce GPU. I'm having issues updating GRUB to make my changes permanant but this should fix your problem:

On boot, when you hit GRUB menu, press 'e' when your boot version Mint is highlighted. This will bring you to the boot parameters.

Look for the command: QUIET SPLASH.

Before or after that, leaving a space between other commands, type

Code: Select all

nouveau.noaccel=1
This should stop the freezes for now but you will also need to go into the Driver Manager app under Menu/Administration and change the driver to Nouveau.

This should stop all freezes. You will need to type this in each boot until you change the etc/default/grub file and make and save the same changes. Use

sudo gedit grub
or your favorite text editor. If you don't have it type

sudo apt-get install gedit
Once changes are saved, run:

Then

cd /etc/default

su
enter pw.

update-grub
If this solves your freezes, mark this as solved. if you have any errors thrown while updating, create another post. GRUB polls multiple files to update, 'grub' in etc/default/ is the the only grub file to append.

Return to “Installation & Boot”