Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
borgward
Level 5
Level 5

Error No Such Partition

Post by borgward » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:40 am

Linux Mint 17. Just booted laptop this morning and get message:
error: no such partition Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

What to do?

I am currently running from the disk I installed from.

administrollaattori
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Error No Such Partition

Post by administrollaattori » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:57 am

Check partitions using GParted or command line

Code: Select all

sudo blkid
sudo fsck /dev/sdxy  ## where x=hard drive and y=partition

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:04 pm

This means that the Grub bootloader (which is located in the first sectors of your boot drive, in the case of an MS-DOS partitioned drive) is unable to locate the linux partition where it has previously been told to find /boot/grub.

This could be for a number of reasons. Here are some off the top of my head:
- the partition no longer exists (it was deleted or it was on a removable drive that has been removed)
- the partition has had its UUID changed since Grub was installed
- there is something wrong with your drive...some sort of disk fault or file system damage
- your system has more than one Grub bootloader and you are accidentally booting the wrong one (booting off the wrong drive)

Did you make any changes to your laptop (including external drives) since it last booted ok?

borgward
Level 5
Level 5

Post by borgward » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:59 pm

re administrollaattori
mint@mint ~ $ sudo blkid
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sr0: LABEL="Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit" TYPE="iso9660"

mint@mint ~ $ sudo fsck /dev/sdxy ## where x=hard drive and y=partition
fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
e2fsck 1.42.9 (4-Feb-2014)
fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sdxy
Possibly non-existent device?
mint@mint ~ $

Looked at Disks program. Smart Data reported all attributes OK. Did not run tests.

re mintybits

There is only one OS on this disk, LinuxMint 17. This disk is an internal disk on my laptop.

I did have a ntfs disk connected via usb adapter that I was trying to check for bad sectors. I did not want to repair that disk, only check to see if it had problems so I could decide to use it or not for something else. If it was good I would use it for Linux. That disk was not connected when I booted this morning.

I used the Disks application to look at the drive in my laptop just now. The partitioning does not make any sense to me. Does not look like the way I partitioned the disk. I partitioned the drive for /, /swap, /tmp, and /home about a year ago. Smart Data reports everything OK. Did not run tests.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:14 pm

borgward wrote:mint@mint ~ $ sudo fsck /dev/sdxy ## where x=hard drive and y=partition
You misunderstood. The part behind ## is a comment and means, replace x with the letter for the drive and y with the number of the partition, e.g./dev/sda1

But that is not your real problem. Looking at you screenshot shows, that your partitions, which you described
borgward wrote:I partitioned the disk. I partitioned the drive for /, /swap, /tmp, and /home
are either completely deleted or overwritten.
... or something else is wrong, because there is at least one point, which does not match. You wrote, that one of the partitions is swap, but the smallest partition or free space (where probably previously a partition might have been) is 98 GB in size. This would most likely the biggest swap partition the world has ever seen. :roll: If the second partition should have been swap (following your description), the new record would arise to 279 GB! So I wonder, if this is really the right disk or the right screenshot. Only one thing is sure: The screenshot shows the first drive in the computer.

Only assumption I have is that on this point something went terribly wrong:
borgward wrote:I did have a ntfs disk connected via usb adapter that I was trying to check for bad sectors. I did not want to repair that disk, only check to see if it had problems
Only chance I see is to try, if you can rescue your partitions and data with testdisk and photorec. Be prepared, that this will be a process, which may take a huge amount of time.

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:16 am

It certainly looks like your partition table is corrupted. The partition table is in the first sector (the first 512 bytes of the disk) and is like the table of contents of a book. The actual partition contents may be just fine, if you are lucky. It is now a matter of reconstructing the partition table. This shouldn't be too hard.

Do you recall the size and ordering of your partitions?

I wonder how this happened. What app were you using to check your usb drive?

Return to “Installation & Boot”