missing boot files

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lacandymaster

missing boot files

Post by lacandymaster »

Hi all
I am new to linus mint. I have a new system with a new seagate hard drive. I was able to install mint with a cd, to the hard drive.
When i try to boot up it just sits there. I cheked 2the files and do not find anything in the boot files on the hard drive or cd.
Is there any way to download just the files for the boot? Or maybe i am missing something else.
Thanks for any help.
Lacandymaster
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jerry

Re: missing boot files

Post by Jerry »

I'm sorry, but could you be a bit more specific when you say 'it just sits there'
what exactly happens when it 'sits there'?

Could you also tell which directory you looked in? Did you look in /boot or in a different directory? When you say that you checked the CD for boot files, was the CD an .iso file? It should have been.

When you look inside the / directory, what sub-directories and files do you see there?
can you open a terminal and do the following (copy/paste this):

Code: Select all

cd /
then do

Code: Select all

ls
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
lacandymaster

Post by lacandymaster »

Thanks for the Reply;
I did a reinstall today.. The boot files located on the C drive were populated this time. I am still having the problem booting.
when I try to boot from the C drive after the bios I get the following message " Verifying DMI Pool Data" and then everything just stops. If I put the Mint Install CD in the cd drive and boot, I get the same message, but then I get a sign screen. It denies my user name and password and goes to the C drive.

I did look in the /boot directory. i can not find an iso on the cd. I purchased the cd from one of the links on the Mint site.
This is a Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon - Install/Live DVD (64-bit)
My hard drive is a Seagate 3T The motherboard is a Gigabyte Socket AM3 with a AMD 760G Chipset.

Thanks for your help.

lacandymaster
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

lacandymaster wrote:If I put the Mint Install CD in the cd drive and boot, I get the same message, but then I get a sign screen. It denies my user name and password and goes to the C drive.
Sorry to say, it's getting more confusing now.

If the DVD (not CD) would not boot, how would you have been able to install Mint at all?

If you mean "login screen" with "sing screen": Also unclear, because the DVD launches directly into the desktop.

What does it mean "goes to the C drive"? I have no idea, what you see or what you want to say with that. (Besides the fact, that Linux does not use expressions like "C drive", that is a Windows specific partition naming.) When it goes there (what ever it may be) what do you see?
lacandymaster

Post by lacandymaster »

Sorry I have been thinking windows for too long. The issue that I need resolved is, When I boot up my system I get a "verfying Pool Data" and then the system seems to stop and then nothing else happens.
Thanks
Lacandymaster
lacandymaster

Post by lacandymaster »

I just found out that seagate formats new hard drives for 32 not 64. The dvd i bought is for 64 so i will order a 32 and see if that works. Thanks a lot
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I get the following message " Verifying DMI Pool Data"
When I boot up my system I get a "verfying Pool Data"
Which is it? (Not exactly the 2nd, obviously)

google ["linux" "Verifying DMI Pool Data"] shows solutions.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You mean 32 bit respectively 64 bit?. What do you mean. A drive gets formatted with a file system (fat32, ntfs, ext4 in case of Linux), but that has nothing to do with running a 32 bit or a 64 bit system (not even in case of fat32), the drive has to be repartitioned and formatted anyway (if you do not dual boot). For 64 bit a 64 bit hardware (mainly cpu) is required.
lacandymaster

Post by lacandymaster »

Cosmo. wrote:You mean 32 bit respectively 64 bit?. What do you mean. A drive gets formatted with a file system (fat32, ntfs, ext4 in case of Linux), but that has nothing to do with running a 32 bit or a 64 bit system (not even in case of fat32), the drive has to be repartitioned and formatted anyway (if you do not dual boot). For 64 bit a 64 bit hardware (mainly cpu) is required.
Ok I am totally lost now. I know that it is a 64 bit. What I do not understand is why when I have the dvd in the dvd drive, I boot up my system, I get the " Verifing DMI Pool Data" and then the Linux mint loads. But If I try to start/boot the system without the dvd in the dvd drive I get the " Verifing DMI Pol Data " and then the system just stops and nothing else happens.
lacandymaster

Post by lacandymaster »

Well i finally was able to straighten out my problem with a lot of help from the linux.org forums. It was in the settings for bios.
I removed my wireless keyborard, and removed the raid, setup for only 1 hdd, setup the sata and everything works perfectly now. :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”