Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
NewToLinuxxx
Level 4
Level 4

Switching between DE's (XFCE-->KDE) and distro's

Post by NewToLinuxxx » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:32 pm

I'm interested in both switching my XFCE mint setup to KDE, and in changing distro's entirely (or adding a distro to have dual-boot, well, triple-boot lol as I've already got 2 *nix systems on this)

Is changing desktop enviro's far simpler than trying an entirely new distro? I'm interested in swapping but I have a folder in /home that I really don't want deleted, can I make such system changes while keeping a ~several hundred gigs folder intact? Any articles/tutorials would be greatly appreciated! Want to mess around with something new, don't want to lose all my media!!

edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Switching between DE's (XFCE-->KDE) and distro's

Post by edwardr » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:46 pm

If you want to be trying out different distros, the best way is to keep your data on a separate data partition and install your distros to other partitions. You can then link to and access your data from the different distro installs. Take a look at this tutorial: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1609

Please make a backup of your data before you embark on repartitioning your hard drive!
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true

Return to “Installation & Boot”